PDA

View Full Version : Fried plug from the rectifier

zx12argh
16-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Right so I was striping my zx12r down last night and came across the plug from the rectifier to the stator. After an hour of cursing and swearing I finally managed to pull the plug apart only to find that the plastic internals had welded them both together.

I'm assuming some has caused a huge current draw, turned the join into a resistor and melted the plastic that way but the only thing I can think of is something has earth. I've never blown any fuses tho and deffinately never seen any huge sparks/clouds of smoke.

Any sparkies got an idea of what might have happened here?

devo
16-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Most of the time what causes this is either corrosion or a bad earth.
This is common in earlier Suzuki's where by the connection developes corrosion, corrosion causes resistance, resistance causes heat etc etc.
Another thing is check your output voltage from your stator to the rectifier and the earth. This can cause this but as I said corrosion ( and it only takes a little ) to start the chain reaction.
Hope this helps Mate.

zx12argh
16-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Ahh - thats making sense - I'd check it but the engine is half out and the battery flat... But I'll check the earths. The plugs didn't look overly corroded but I'll try clean them up - might replace that bit of the loom too. Tho buggered what I'll do at the retifier end of the plug short of cut 'n' shutting it. Thanks mate.

devo
16-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Your battery being under charged can cause things to work overtime, But it now sounds like the rectifier shit itself(maybe poor earth) , grab the manual and a multimeter and test it but I think you should ditch it and get another rather than fuck around with it.[:0]