PDA

View Full Version : Carbie / fueling issues DR 800 SM

slickncghia
15-06-2008, 05:52 PM
G'day guys,

recently got my Dr 800 SM home and its having some carbie / fueling dificulties.

little background the fuel pump and inline filter had been removed and the bike was apparently running fine with gravity fed (bike passed rwc)

ISSUES: carbies are overflowing (always occurs but can be a little random) when bike is off, idling or riding. it is happening on both carbies but seems to be only 1 at a time.

at one stage when they werent overflowing for a bit i took the bike out for a quick spin and it wasnt running right. it felt like it was running out of top end (yes yes even more than a single should :P) the bike was topping out at around 85km/h when its listed top speed on knobbies is around 170. when it was sitting in top gear at around 85ish at about 1/2->2/3 throttle it was stumbling allong however if any more throttle was wound on it would stutter and seem as if it was possibley going to stall. it did seem to be out of breath in all gears.

I have the bike in bits atm and the carbies out. the float levels seem low and at least 1 of the carbies seemed to be leaking out fuel when the floats were pushed all the way closed (i connected to tank with bowls removed and tested). so i will adjust the floats when i can figure out this stupid metal clip.

are there any other suggestions for things to check that may be causing either of theese issues whilst i have the carbies out????

Cheers guys any help would be appreciated

Ben

slickncghia
16-06-2008, 11:09 AM
ok i think ive fixed the over-flow issues with a bit of buggering around with the floats.

still suffering from the power issues

any ideas?

slickncghia
17-06-2008, 01:01 PM
was running way ritch. took air cleaner out for test ride and it helped alot. so i cracked open the carbies again and the bloke had 135 main jets in there. i quickly chucked in some dynojet 120;s (stock size) that i had lying around and the bike runs alot better.

there is still some popping when rolling off throttle and the header pipe is glowwing pretty red. which i think indicates that its running lean on the pilot circuit. which makes sense with the afr screw all the way in and siezed. i might try 1 size up pilot jet to ritchen this up a little.

ill also be doing some plug chopping to fine tune the main jets. :) theres some 35 mikuni's coming in the mail so i might end up chucking them on in the end.

just need to get this stupid little speedo working now too

its getting there. i hope this helps someone in the future