PDA

View Full Version : 1127 engine rebuild??

Rumbo
13-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Fuck it.:( I was taking off my old exhaust and snapped one of the bolts in the head.
Shes got 90,000 odd ks that I know of and a new cam chain wouldnt hurt. I just wondered if anyone whose done this before can suggest a good combo of pistons and cams or where I can get the head done up? I've got a Dyna 2000 so high compression should be ok. Or would it be cheaper to get a late model Bandit motor and throw that in. I assume they fit ok? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hillsy
13-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Bandit motors are pretty well a bolt-up fit as far as I know (Deano might confirm this?)

And if you're getting a shop to re-build your motor, you'll spend more than buying a decent 2nd hand Bandit motor anyway.

Go the Bandit motor ;)

hooligan
13-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Don't get a bandit motor.

Ya gotta be able to squeeze a 'busa motor in!

Rumbo
13-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Go the Bandit motor ;)
[/quote]

Any idea what theyre worth or where to find 1.
Still wanna do up my old 1.

Hillsy
13-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Try this matey:

http://www.findapart.com.au/index.php

As for what they're worth.....I'd be thinking $2-3K from a wrecker....but I haven't priced one of late...

Supercharger_Mark
13-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Annnnnd what's worng with a bandit motor, Chris?

Rumbo
13-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks Hillsy. For 2-3k I should be able to do mine up ok. Maybe. Could go nuts.
It all adds up pretty fast. How many ks should you be able to get out of 1 of these motors before theyre worn out?

Rumbo
13-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Oh yea. Anyone got any ideas about how to get this busted bolt outa the head? I know they can be a bitch. Its on hole no 2 so I gotta take the engine out and lay it over. Can I heat it up? Once again any advice would be appreciated.

14-06-2008, 12:24 AM
Ezi-outs or Heli-coil is the answer to your busted nuts,take it to Redline Motorcycles on Sugar Rd.Jason is a Suzuki genius,and won't rip you off. Keep your engine,a Bandit will never be as strong.

chopaweeza
14-06-2008, 05:12 AM
Spark erosion for the broken stud. I've never had an ezy out work on a broken stud yet for some reason

Deano
14-06-2008, 08:33 AM
i brourght a 04 bandit motr with 4k on it wiht carbs cluch slave and master and engine mounts and bolt for 2000 bux

Rumbo
14-06-2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks Davo but I prefer to do it myself. This bikes never been in a shop or outa my sight since I got it.
Ive got a 8mm heli-coil kit. Havent had much luck with eazyouts lately. Its a bit final when they break. Spark erosion?

That sounds like a bargain Deano. They ran it in for ya too.

Deano
14-06-2008, 12:45 PM
that was from vic wreckers mate, not the cheapest in the country either

Rumbo
14-06-2008, 01:13 PM
What did you put it in Deano?
I wouldnt mind a spare motor but mines still pretty solid. I think.
I was gunna get a new cam chain and manual tensioner but im not sure if the stock chains are endless or not? Or when you tension it manualy how you judge when its right? I asked APE but they didnt say except to say that theirs chains are endless and i gotta pull the motor apart. Once I do that I might as well do it up.

APE Dustin
26-06-2008, 05:05 AM
The cam chain on that motor is in fact endless and as far as the tension on the tensioner you want to bring the motor up to top dead center compression stroke on cylinder number one and then run it up by hand until you feel it hit the guide and then back it off a quarter of a turn. Then start the bike and adjust if from there. You don't want to be able to hear any chain slap going on. Another way you can adjust it is by running it in by hand while turning the motor over, turning the crank with a socket and ratchet. If you use this method you want to make sure the tensioner is already close if not hitting the guide otherwise it might jump cam timing on you.

Rumbo
26-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks Dude.

APE Dustin
27-06-2008, 03:31 AM
No problem just trying to help out.