PDA

View Full Version : Oldschool

336LJ
12-06-2008, 02:42 AM
Got some snaps of the old bikes laying around the step dads property, He has very agressive cancer, and has been couped up inside the house for almost 2 months bar hospital/doc visits, for the first time in 25 odd years he is stuck inside bored shitless.

We had to sell the cattle as he cant look after them so he's got alot of spare time if/when he does get outside again. some weeks he's actually up and mobile

SO, I proposed the idea, lets dig some of the old bikes out and get em going.

I found old engines under our house (we live in the rental house) a 650/750 I think, in a crate.
Some weird ass old school bike I cant find pics of at the moment. and even a set of xs650 side covers still in the original box.

Just interested in what some of these things are, some I couldnt find tags in the short time I was there, the one on its own I think is a cb750, 77 model. and the chopper lookin thing is a 60's bmw???

what would be a good one to start on youz reckon? condition, parts etc, C*nt factor in regards to working on etc.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/1058396291126209.JPG

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/105839629199960.JPG

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/1058396291107418.JPG

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/1058396291108928.JPG

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/105839629199126.JPG

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/1058396291104648.JPG

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/105839629198422.JPG

geesexar
12-06-2008, 06:13 AM
Gday Luke sorry to hear about your step dad...the big C's not a nice thing.
He's got some old bikes there..first one is K1 or K2 750 honda..1970..71? Second one CB350 4 1973 or 4 the beemer prolly late 50's early 60's jobbie but the frame...fuck knows..lol The zook is a TS185 would be mid 70's and the yam is late 70's...SHIT IM FEELIN OLD

uncle pervy
12-06-2008, 08:19 AM
yeah, you an me both. i learned to ride on a K2 750, seems only last week. I remember me and clayton one time full of piss at Steves hotel. He picked up some bird and needed to get her home. Well i was well and truly pissed so I... We.. ZZZZZZ

TurboKat
12-06-2008, 09:45 AM
The Honda 4s are definately worth ressurecting, the 750 would be worth $10K restored (& still heaps of fun to ride) & the 350 about half that (LAMS legal too)
The Beemer Chop is a pisser - when's the last time you saw a Plunger rear end? - you'd hafta get that going for the <s>hysterical</s> historical value, it's the ULTIMATE in Oldskool Cool, the paintwork on the "tank" & the big arse King/Queen seat are sensational. [8D]
The Suzi (TS 185 ER) & the XT (could be 250, 350, 500 or 550) look a little sad but they'd probly run again with a lot of TLC.
All those bikes look like they've been out in the weather for a long time so if they weren't sealed up & the engines/gearboxes are full of water, they're a wrecking proposition only - if there are any bits on them not fucked from corrosion, etc.
I know a few blokes (me included) who would be stoked to score a "Barn Find" like these old chaps.
Go forth & restore young man. [8D]

336LJ
12-06-2008, 04:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by geesexar

Gday Luke sorry to hear about your step dad...the big C's not a nice thing.
He's got some old bikes there..first one is K1 or K2 750 honda..1970..71? Second one CB350 4 1973 or 4 the beemer prolly late 50's early 60's jobbie but the frame...fuck knows..lol The zook is a TS185 would be mid 70's and the yam is late 70's...SHIT IM FEELIN OLD

We picked the 185 when I was about 17, I started it on a milk crate in the front yard, it immediately hit full revs. I tried to "unstick" the stuck throttle by twisting a handle that wasnt even there. So after it got nice and hot I reached in to pull the plug lead off. fucker burnt the shit out of me, I'v still got the scar on my wrist. I now have an obsession of double triple checking throttle cables and return springs before I fire up a project of any kind!

I have no idea what that frame is either, It reminds me of my step sisters pushy.

336LJ
12-06-2008, 05:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by TurboKat

The Honda 4s are definately worth ressurecting, the 750 would be worth $10K restored (& still heaps of fun to ride) & the 350 about half that (LAMS legal too)
The Beemer Chop is a pisser - when's the last time you saw a Plunger rear end? - you'd hafta get that going for the <s>hysterical</s> historical value, it's the ULTIMATE in Oldskool Cool, the paintwork on the "tank" & the big arse King/Queen seat are sensational. [8D]
The Suzi (TS 185 ER) & the XT (could be 250, 350, 500 or 550) look a little sad but they'd probly run again with a lot of TLC.
All those bikes look like they've been out in the weather for a long time so if they weren't sealed up & the engines/gearboxes are full of water, they're a wrecking proposition only - if there are any bits on them not fucked from corrosion, etc.
I know a few blokes (me included) who would be stoked to score a "Barn Find" like these old chaps.
Go forth & restore young man. [8D]

I'd feel a bit queer riding that thing in its current "fabulous" paint scheme, I better quiz the step dad a bit more on its origin. Lets hope it was some dirty biker moles bike that left it there !

The bikes in a group have spent their lifetime under patio type roof at the front of the house, I have a sneaking suspicion the 750 is full of water. its been outside forever.

I'll see if I can find any more bikes laying around, that was just the first 20m of the front yard!

Does anyone know what the side covers for an xs650 would be worth? I had to chuck a stand it was barely identifiable. but the side covers were still in the box, with a bit of chrome bubbling/pitting.

I found what I think were the 2 pipes off a honda 4. they look similar to the ones on that 350.

pt
12-06-2008, 06:32 PM
the 350 is very similar to the one cruisecontrol is resurrecting. probably a 360 due to later models having the disc at the front...

chopaweeza
12-06-2008, 07:45 PM
One of my many sidelines is buying & reselling bikes. Speaking in that capacity for a second , sell them the way they are. The BMW is a plunger model & those in any condition go for good money . The Honda fours are both collectables with the 350 being the more valuable of the 2 . The traillies would be lucky to get $100-200 each , the CB750 about $1200 depending on the year , the CB350 is worth about $2000 & the exporters love these . The BMW on the other hand is worth $2000-5000 .

Parts for all these are getting pricey and it's not worth the effort to get any running. As Barn Finds bikes like these attractive to anyone wanting to restore a bike and as a result they are worth more than they otherwise would be. Ebay them & all the parts and open the auction preferances up so that people outside Australia can bid(especially on the CB350) . As much as we all hate ebay it's the best way to get the best prices for your stuff. If I can help out give me a call.

Neo Dutch
15-06-2008, 06:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by TurboKat

The Honda 4s are definately worth ressurecting, the 750 would be worth $10K restored

10 K maybe, but if you're planning do do it up and flog it to make a little cash, then forget it. Old Honda spares are ridiculous money. Went looking for a cylinder base gasket, 4 cylinder O rings, a top end gasket set, 8 piston circlips and 1 (not 4) set of standard rings a month ago, the total? 970 dollars. These sort of restos are for love only.

White chook chaser is probably an early 80's XT 250.

The Bimmer is more difficult. Would you resto it as a chopper for the novelty factor, or sell it to a die hard restorer? I'd keep it a chop, and show it.

chopaweeza
15-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Yeh mate. People shit bricks when they find out what even basic parts cost on older bikes now. There was a nice CB400/4 I saw recently , the owner admitted to spending $22k on restoring it. You still on that training course ?