PDA

View Full Version : US import bike

WATEVR
04-06-2008, 01:46 PM
just went to a bike shop that is local to and they have a KTM 525 EXC model there (road reg version) that they tried to tell me that when it was imported the paper work was incorrectly filled out and therefore cannot be reg. here??
can the paperwork be reissued if that is a legit reason or by the look i gave them of 'stolen' is more to the point?

Tony Nitrous
04-06-2008, 05:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by WATEVR

just went to a bike shop that is local to and they have a KTM 525 EXC model there (road reg version) that they tried to tell me that when it was imported the paper work was incorrectly filled out and therefore cannot be reg. here??
can the paperwork be reissued if that is a legit reason or by the look i gave them of 'stolen' is more to the point?

I have a straight 05 Jap-import Busa frame that can-not be registered,
I looked at a local SB Bimota that the owner couldn't get registered,
There was a brand new Kwak recently that was bought in to
take around the show's and was never complianced in import and was getting broken.

There MAY be way's around it. If there is, i'd be quite interested.
I expect it depends how creative you want to get with frame numbers.

Tony.J.

Booster
04-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Could be someone imported without realising the complications involved.for no real reason its just too hard unless you have owned and used the bike os for 12 mths.

Bear
04-06-2008, 06:29 PM
It'll need an Australian Compliance plate, which you can only get from the manufacturer.

NSW have advised me in the past that if it has a compliance plate that matches the frame number and hasn't been listed as a stat write-off (you can check this via RTA website), it's ok to register.

I imagine it's much the same for other states.

A listed engineer may be able to help you by inspecting the bike and passing it, as you would for a custom frame.

chopaweeza
04-06-2008, 06:46 PM
There are several ways to sort of get around it. The biggest drama with it is the parallel import law which says that it is illegal to import a motorcycle less than 15 years old when there is already an Australian distributor for that make. I've seen 6 bikes legally get arround it so far and at least 3 times that number fail. The simplest way is to alter the bike enough so that it is not the same model(ie. modify it extensively) , have the existing VIN legally struck off by the certifying Engineer , have the bike fully Engineered and have a new VIN issued by the Engineer. Another way is to get a letter from the Australian distributor stating that they have examined the vehicle and that as it is not a type currently distributed by them is not a parallel import(Thats how alot of Kawasaki Voyager goldwing lookalikes get bought in brand new in the 90's) but this only works if the model was never brought in and you get a sympathetic official from the distributor. And the only other way I've heard of legally working is to legally re-birth the bike using a locally complianced frame . The last one is a loophole they have closed in most states but it was legal in NSW & Victoria til about 4 years ago. I've also heard of several people trying to get a totally stock parallel import Engineered but all have fallen fowl of the laws and their frame numbers recorded as never being legally able to be registered here.

alfiestorm
05-06-2008, 04:29 AM
There are some complete arse bike import laws in oz all designed to make you not bother and pay top taxes by the looks of it and buy from aussie dealers.
Bollox aint it when all you want is to save a few bux and get on the road

alfiestorm
There are some complete arse bike import laws in oz all designed to make you not bother and pay top taxes by the looks of it and buy from aussie dealers.

alfiestorm

alfiestorm

Bear
05-06-2008, 09:02 AM
I agree, Alfie, but I also think they're a result of stolen bikes and rebirthing. [V]