PDA

View Full Version : subframe question

STM77
02-06-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm in the process of changing out the subframe on my gsxr1100m. Now this model has the welded on subframe. If or should i say when i cut this off how much trouble am i going to have when it comes to rego? Do i need an engineers certificate for that mod? It will be done properly with the new lug machined out of aluminium on a mill, and tiged up, but i'm still curious. I am replacing the subframe with a complete bolt on subframe off an r1? Any one help me out with this? Cheers, Stu

STM77
02-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Forgot to mention, i'm in NSW. So lucky me i get to deal with the wonderful RTA

hooligan
02-06-2008, 07:24 PM
if you don't tell 'em, they won't notice.

Seifer
02-06-2008, 08:14 PM
YEah I've got the exact samemod done. Just keep it hush and you should be fine.

chopaweeza
02-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Yep. Make it look good enough . Then deny it's a mod

STM77
02-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks guys

fimpBIKES
03-06-2008, 11:00 AM
"it was like that when i bought it"
you're not expected to be an auto engineer so how should you know it didnt look like that from standard?? ;)

Guile
03-06-2008, 02:58 PM
I have a 87 model Kwaka GPX that has a bolt on sub frame and i'm looking to give the bike a more modern look.

Anybody know if a later model kwaka or any other brand sub frame will bolt straight on?

I don't have the gear to make new brackets

Gix11
03-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Nah mate, you'll have no luck looking for a direct swap. The only time that ever happens is with the same model bike in the previous or following years to it's manufacture.

You're in Brisbane yea? If you can take a ride out to the Sunshine coast Shaun (named pommy choppers on this forum) from Pommy choopers (www.pommychoppers.com) will sort you out anything you need to fix it up. Just find the subframe and tail piece you want and take it along to him with your bike.

Guile
03-06-2008, 10:20 PM
thanks for the heads up, as far as i know they stopped making the GPX after my model so thats fecked that idea,

back to the drawing board

zx12argh
04-06-2008, 12:45 PM
What do the mounting points look like? You could always kick the tail up using so spacing brackets then trim and mod the subframe, plastics and seat to suit - big job tho. As for tools all you need is a hack saw, a jig saw and a power drill. You can get power tools from Bunnings for 30 bucks a piece these days, i've got a couple. The quality isn't great but it does the job.

Pommy Chopper
04-06-2008, 06:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by Guile

I have a 87 model Kwaka GPX that has a bolt on sub frame and i'm looking to give the bike a more modern look.

Anybody know if a later model kwaka or any other brand sub frame will bolt straight on?

I don't have the gear to make new brackets

Find a tailpiece you like, bring it and your bike to me with a handful of used currency and i'll phone you when it' done....easy!!:D

Guile
04-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the help lads, i have 3 options i'm considering at the minute,

1. FREE & EASY - Leave as is and try and get a different fibreglass tail to fit my subframe.

2. NOT SO EASY - Have a go at making brackets to fit a different subframe.

3. BEER TOKENS INVOLVED - May well take you up on that Pommy, just planning to do as much as possible on the cheap but do like the sound of getting the proffesionals involved.

Going to start a build (more like a butcher) thread so you can see my bike isn't worth spending huge amounts on that i don't have. It's also keeping me out of trouble and out of the pub while getting my fingers dirty. There will be some things i can't manage due to lack of skill / equipment so i may be in touch with those in the know once i've got some cash together.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m265/richardguile/Bike%20Build/Subframe_All.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m265/richardguile/Bike%20Build/Subframe_Bolts.jpg

FIGHTERMC
05-06-2008, 08:23 PM
go with option 3 mate
and you'll be glad with the result
i'm sure.

Guile
05-06-2008, 08:38 PM
I am thinking thats the go but have a few niggly problems with the bike that i should sort before spending some decent cash on it as the problems could turn out to be nothing or they could mean the bike is bin fodder.

Done my usual though and can't stop hunting for parts, i found this CBR subframe near me for cheap and thinking about making the purchase, just want to measure up between the centres of my bolts and frame width to see how close they are to mine.

Not mad keen on the 1999 rear end but if the money is right i think i'll take it,the same place also has the riders seat so could ride naked for a while Anybody know if its difficult getting the plastics for it?

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m265/richardguile/Bike%20Build/CBR_99_Subframe.jpg

FIGHTERMC
06-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Mate go on ebay and buy a
04 upwards tail until
and get a subframe made up
early blade units are BIG.
just my 2cents worth.