PDA

View Full Version : It wont go.

skb954
02-06-2008, 10:23 AM
So I'll try and keep this as short as possible.
Its my 93' 900rr fighter project that is not starting. Bought it a while back and it has run spot on.
While ive been playing with it, i've kicked it over after every little mod to make sure it was all fine. No problems... til friday night.
One of my mates is sitting on it idling, he kicks it into gear and it stalls. When i try to fire it up again, its dead. Starter spins but no life. A few big backfires, thats about it.
Pulled a plug and it seems to be sparking ok. Fuel pumps working fine. Lines and carb bowls have fuel in them.
It has one of those factory advance units. Can these things maybe get knocked out of alignment..?
Do you blokes have any ideas? Im losing my mind over this one..:(

pommie02
03-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Sounds like a timing issue, firing at the wrong time !
do you have a timing light...i dont know about honda's ...but you should have somewhere you can point a timing light to see if its firing at the right point

BANDITROD
03-06-2008, 08:18 PM
mate not sure if this will help but i just had the exact same problem with a customers aprilla and it was the battery even tho it might seem ok and have charge it might not have enough i also changed the plugs just to make sure and then it ran fine anyways i hope this works for ya

RUSS M8
03-06-2008, 08:39 PM
If the problem was encountered after selecting a gear, the problem could be the sidestand switch, if it is faulty the bike may think the stand is down all the time - so won't run in gear...?
Also possible that because you have only been running it for short periods every now and again 1 or more of the plugs have fouled up, now it won't run...?

WATEVR
03-06-2008, 09:00 PM
battery charge would be my first port of call, its amazing how important these bloody things are as i have found out!!

Fish
04-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Yep mate, go the battery first. start with the easiest and most obvious thing and that's probably what it is.

skb954
04-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks guys. I charged the battery last night but still no love. The headlights are still stong and the starter is spinning hard as ever. But by the sounds of it, maybe i shouldn't have ruled that out yet..
And I kinda thought if it was the plugs, at least a few of the cylinders would give me a cough or two?? And the one i pulled was sparking no worries.
Anyway the moral to my story is that after throwing spanners and about everything in my garage at it.. its now at Balls getting looked at. I HATE taking things to mechanics.. i am not in a happy place.
I'll keep you posted with it.

HueyonaBlade
05-06-2008, 08:43 PM
mate I had a very similar issue and it always lead back to the plugs and even after I had changed them once continued with the build and after about a fortnight I tried starting it it ran OK for a little then started to sound as if it was flooding then stalled. Never started again raced back around to Bikes Plus 4 new plugs and it was as if it had just come of the show room floor. Brucey (mechanic) also then went on to tell me dont run premium in and make sure when you put new plugs in get them hot so that they dont carbonise , now that I have used it for a bit its no dramas at all. I would definately say plugs!

skb954
06-06-2008, 07:30 AM
Huey, im starting to think i should have hung onto the bike and tried a few more things before giving up. The shop wont get around to looking at the bike til next week. These might be the most expensive plugs i've ever bought.. [V]

HueyonaBlade
11-06-2008, 03:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by skb954

Huey, im starting to think i should have hung onto the bike and tried a few more things before giving up. The shop wont get around to looking at the bike til next week. These might be the most expensive plugs i've ever bought.. [V]

Where is it M8? Go and get it and I'll word up Bruce at Bikes Plus and he'll more then likely get onto it while you are standing there.
Depending on what time you are able to get it to him I could even pop in and say G'Day:D

sickboy
11-06-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm betting it's the Factory advance unit thats out of wack,sheared keyway maybe[?]

skb954
12-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Bikes back. Plugs. $100. Im a tool.
I still can't believe those little bastard plugs sparked outside the cylinder.
Lesson, 1. always replace the obvious first. and 2. spend more time on this forum and less time at the mechanics.

pommie02
12-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Here's another lesson to remember.
dont leave your spark plugs near a microwave...
for some strange reason they wont work !!!!
i take this from experience

HueyonaBlade
13-06-2008, 04:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by skb954

Bikes back. Plugs. $100. Im a tool.
I still can't believe those little bastard plugs sparked outside the cylinder.
Lesson, 1. always replace the obvious first. and 2. spend more time on this forum and less time at the mechanics.

:DHate to say I told you so , only cause I was a victim of the same problem make sure you run 'em in for a while to m8 I let mine stand for a month or so only starting it to check wiring and so on and did the plugs again I think from memory about $8 dollars each from repco;)