PDA

View Full Version : My New Ride - UPDATE 13/10/08

RUSS M8
01-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Well, I have bought a new bike. This one won't be a serious fighter, but I think building this is just something I have to do. And, the bike came with a full bike for spares - maybe that might get some more serious mods later on...

Anyway, she is a 1973 Suzuki GT250 :) Bike is well older than I am...
Most parts have been restored, but not reassembled. So, a few months of work in front of me, and a bit of chasing down parts!

So, if anyone has any parts for these old dungers floating round, let me know!
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/221142050294529.jpg

pt
01-06-2008, 12:25 PM
FUCKING ACE! will be awesome to see pics of the buildup. only place to go for parts is

www.suziparts.com.au

Ray is an absolute champ and does everything he can to get what ya need. he's in SA but all you have to do is make a call and he's onto it. if ya need a hand at all i'd be keen. got one of my own sitting in the shed waiting to be restored so it would be good to get the practice!

drewboy
01-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Nice, can see something special coming from this. want to see heaps of pics dude.

chopaweeza
01-06-2008, 04:41 PM
The best place for parts is BW Northcott Motorcycles in Blacktown. Bruce was a Suzuki dealer from the mid 60's til 94 and still has a shitload of parts . He's in his 80's and takes awhile but he still has most of the NOS bits for older Suzi's still about. Last time I was there he had NOS GT250 barrel & piston sets laying out for sale .

scotty mac
01-06-2008, 04:50 PM
awsome mate! i've got a mate thats got a collection of GT's i can find out where got all his parts from.

RUSS M8
01-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Awesome stuff boys, it's great that everyone still loves the old dungers. This things will have 1mm oversize pistons, KONI's on the rear, and a braided brake line, I wanna keep the rest looking pretty stock for the moment...
And, the thing (according to Cycle World) is pretty slow, so I should be able to enjoy life at a license safe pace :)

Maybe in the longer term (depending on how much fun it is to ride and own) maybe some different bars and bar end mirrors, some cut down guards n some other cafe type stuff...

Was missing a few obvious parts when I unpacked it all, but most of them I can take off the spare bike ATM. So, hopefully within a few weeks I will have something that looks like a bike again!

Jockney Rebel
01-06-2008, 10:43 PM
if its a 71ish GT it'll do 94mph, 0-60mph[100kph] in about 9secs [ i used to street race RDs against em] produce about 28BHP and eat plugs [ they use B9ES NGKs if i remember right],points and 2T oil...see if ya can get some allspeeds for it they sound great and up the power a little bit ,
has it got the ram air thing on top of the engine ?if so its a 'K' model they kept that till 1976 when the 'A' came out and they dropped the system, the model was produced until 77[the 'c' being the last GT ]untill it was replaced with the X7[ the first proper 100mph 250]
love em! and russ it looks like a mint bike btw worth about 2K in the uk in that nick
http://www.classicmechanics.com/article2.htm try this lot for info and articles

RUSS M8
02-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Yeah, 1973 model, GT250K - with Ram Air.
Claimed 31 HP, but the slides don't open fully at WOT to reduce intake noise, very easy mod to gain a few HP. Then it will be fast enough :)

Jockney Rebel
03-06-2008, 12:35 AM
..lol yeah ur probably right russ 90 odd mph on one of thems a bit hairy..the only thing i have left from my days messing about with stinkwheel suzukis is the original blacktop key from my GT550..kept it as a souvenir

RUSS M8
13-10-2008, 04:22 PM
UPDATE

Sorry for the delay, can't devote much time to projects ATM...

Anyways, was gonna just bolt the red GT back together and ride it, but the work that is already done is quite good, so I decided to restore it properly...
So I split the cases, trying to find someone to rebuild/true the crank now, then re-assemble.

So...
In the meantime I decided I needed a ride to, well, ride. :)
And, I stumbled across this!
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/29502530380988.JPG

Just some cheap transport, picked it up for $1250 needing a few bits and pieces to get it running nice - just stole nice bits off the red bike for the moment.
But, of course, I'm already thinkin of mods...
And, when I went to rego it, look at the plate I got!!!
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/29502530345782.JPG

I think it is a sign from the gods that a 2 smoke fighter is in order.... So, the budget doesn't allow for a fully fightered bike ATM, so, lets see what some cheap secondhand parts will do to the look and performance of my Blue GT :) :) :)

morrigan
13-10-2008, 08:21 PM
That's awesome Russ! Should have plenty of spare parts now. Another place to try for bits is South West MC Wreckers in Warwick Farm. Dunno the phone number, but he apparently carries a fair bit of old 'Zuk stuff. Was recommended to me when I started on the GSX. Need to see lots of pics!

nev
25-07-2009, 09:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by drewboy

Nice, can see something special coming from this. want to see heaps of pics dude.

nev
25-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Hi all, I am looking for a 1970's GT250 for a restoration project. finding it alot harder to find one then I expected, any help wwoould be much appreciated

nev
25-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Hi all, am looking for a 1970's GT250 for a restoration project. Having a alot more trouble finding one than I expected, any help would be much appreciated

nev
25-07-2009, 10:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by drewboy

nev
25-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Hi everybody, I am looking for a 1970's GT250 for a restoration project. Having trouble tracking one down, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cruisecontrol
26-07-2009, 09:20 AM
New to the internet, Nev?

RUSS M8
26-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Well, Nev, I'll say this once... I have 90% of a rolling chassis and a blown engine taking up space. If you are interested let me know, I could well be willing to part with it :)

nev
26-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Yeah sorry about that, was waiting for the message to appear at the top of the page! Anyway that sounds like it could be a good start to the project.