PDA

View Full Version : how big should i go? (rear sprocket)

Arron_01r1
28-05-2008, 11:14 AM
just before i place the order, i was wondering how big i should go on the rear, of my 01 r1 fighter, ive seen products up to 72 teeth, as fun as that sounds would it be to big? im just learning the stunt side of things and havent realy got a clue as to how big? i dont mind changing the sprocket and chain over after the weekend for the daily commute, so i have no problem with the R1 not sitting snuggly on 200 :D any sort of info or experience on this would be very helpfull Thanks:)

Ross_247
28-05-2008, 11:50 AM
I went 2 down on the front, which has made my bike a mad wheelie machine, and still sits fine on the freeways etc...wheeleis if you want to in second and third... obviously revs a bit higher but still ok ... worth giving a go [:p]

zx12argh
28-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Bikes with big sprockets are harder to wheelie - It may make the bike easier to get up but you'll sacrifice your fine control. You'll end up throttle chopping and probably repeatedly slamming the front down. I ran my VTR with stock gearing and with practise could get it above 60 degrees and hold it smoothly. I went down a two teeth on the front sprocket of my 12r and that was plenty - if i had my time again I'd only go 1 tooth - or not at all. If you check the top guys these days they run stock gearing doing slow circles etc...

pommie02
28-05-2008, 01:12 PM
I have been running my fzr on a 52 rear sprocket for the lasttwo years, i found it rideable, great at pulling up the front wheel, it still managed 200kmh down the strip the only down fall was the fuel tank range...120 k's to 18 ltrs of fuel.
where are you buying them from ?...im thinking of selling my rear sprocket, its 52 tooth, 530 chain size and its done about 3000 k's

Bear
28-05-2008, 02:33 PM
I've got an 04 R1 and the standard rear is 45t. I changed it to 48 and it's pretty good. Accelerates away from the lights real quick [:p] and picks the front up when I get in the meat of the powerband around 5000rpm in 1st gear. Front will also climb out of tight corners in 2nd, which is a real buzz. [:0][8)]

Sitting on 110klm, it's doing about 5500rpm and the fuel economy is still better at those speeds than around city traffic. Over a really long distance it'd make me numb, I reckon.

The only thing I really don't like is that it's a short throw between gears now and I'm changing them a lot = lotsa clutching and unsettling while braking hard into corners.
I can take off in 2nd and click through to 4th in traffic so I won't be going any bigger in size.

I'm thinking about going down to a 46t (they don't make a 47 because of the chain pitch, apparantly) and see how that goes. I reckon it'd be a tad cruisier to ride and still get my eyes bulging.

I agree with argh - low gearing may get the front up easier but the throttle response will be too much to keep it there unless you change up gears.

Even on my motard, I do the longest wheelies in 3rd or 4th gear after blipping the front up in 2nd.

I hope that sheds some light for you. I agonised for ages before I got the 48t.

Arron_01r1
29-05-2008, 09:54 PM
thanks for your insight guys, was very helpful, i think i might just drop two of the front, see how that goes for now,[8D]

Bear
29-05-2008, 10:21 PM
You do know that 1 tooth off the front = 3 off the rear?

pappas
30-05-2008, 08:22 AM
Actually it varies depending on what sprockets you have. Your final sprocket ratio = Rear teeth/front teeth so, if you have 15 front and 46 rear = 46/15 = 3.06
The chart on the site below shows the relationship between the two sprockets.

http://www.dropbears.com/u/utilities/sprocket.htm

Ross_247
30-05-2008, 09:53 AM
yeah id go 2 down on the front, and just remember to hold on each time you take off from the lights [:p]

Bear
30-05-2008, 11:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by pappas

Actually it varies depending on what sprockets you have. Your final sprocket ratio = Rear teeth/front teeth so, if you have 15 front and 46 rear = 46/15 = 3.06
The chart on the site below shows the relationship between the two sprockets.

http://www.dropbears.com/u/utilities/sprocket.htm

Agreed, to be accurate, but apporximate is 3. As a guide.

Loz
30-05-2008, 11:26 PM
A word of warning - getting smaller front sprockets tends to accelerate chain wear. Given the choice I'd go 3 up on the back instead of 1 down on the front.

Smaller front makes the chain bend more, plus the extra load on each tooth roots the sprocket quicker, and consequently the chain. Larger rears do the opposite. If your swingarm and sidestand allow a larger rear, I'd advise that.

31-05-2008, 12:08 AM
^quality advice Loz^