PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted ( fine line tape and custom painting

Darn
22-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Hey guys, wanted to find the details on what tapes to use when painting shapes ( eg flames ) on body work, and also about that adhesive paper that goes on over the tank that you cut your shape from with a blade.
Thanks.

Fight_fan
22-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Ive used that thin green pinstripe sticky tape once for the outlines of some hot-rod flames on a fridge! Worked sweet! Picked it up @ SuperCheap Auto...

zx12argh
22-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Dunno if anyone will agree with me but if you are using two pac paints.. dont. use acrylic then two pac clear over the top. I did flames using the green tape technique fight fan mention but ended up with a raised edge where the two paints over lapped.

Bear
22-05-2008, 04:08 PM
You can get the tapes you need from Bunnings - they'll have a section/shelf for tape near the paint area. You want tape that won't bond too strongly and lift the coat you've laid under it (I said "laid" *snigger*) or leave sticky residue.

And as zx12 said - a thick paint layer will leave an edge. You can use enamel but it lays thicker than acrylic so you have to dilute it with thinners and then it gets tricky to apply without running.

Enamel will have more wear and chemical resistance though, if you don't want to clear it over ie. for a matte look.
Depends on how polished a job your after. Sometimes a rough finish over-all can create a unique look if the rest of the bike matches.

If any smashies know of good acrylics then please chime in.

Come round some time and I can show you what I used for my paint job and maybe help you with yours.

Pommy Chopper
22-05-2008, 04:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bear

If any smashies know of good acrylics then please chime in.

No such thing!!!
It's shit!!
2K all the way!!:D

Jockney Rebel
22-05-2008, 05:37 PM
the sticky paper ur on about i think is frisk flim is a low tack plastic found in art shops ..i use it when im doing my arty stuff indoors but it works just as well on any nonporous hard surface

rod185651
22-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Hey Darren,
I've got Flame stencils if you're interested, they're used for air brushing.
cheers Rod

Seifer
22-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Mate ur gonna need the thinnest tape you can find. THis is cause it'll curve without lifting at all. I recommend you head to an auto paint store and buy some 3M fine line blue tape. ITs about $12 but worth it. Shape the flames with the blue tape then cover it with standard masking tape. THen run a blade along the blue line to cut the masking tape and peel the area to be painted off. Its also brilliant for running a line along your rims for painting.

gibbo
22-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Personally I prefer 3m crepe tape which is the same as normal masking tape, it can be bought in 3mm and 6mm and make sure you buy the green stuff ( can't remember the part no. ) use 3mm if you want to pull tight curves and pull pressure on the outside of the tape as you enter the curve. As for the adhesive paper find a place that does vinyl signs and get some spray & mask ( I think ) which is a plastic film which is easier to cut and peels off clean, the paper stuff leaves some of the glue behind which is a pain in the arse to get off. As for paint I'm with Pommy, fuck the acrylic and especially the enamel, use basecoat for the artwork and cover it with 2k clear. Work out what colours you need and find a good automotive paint reseller or panel shop and they should sell you small amounts of colour and thinner.

Gix11
22-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Spray and mask - as Gibbo said. Go to your nearest sign shop and get them to computer cut your shape (the flames in tbis case). Stick it on and it's ready to paint. Peel it off and you have a perfect line and there's no glue. Too easy.

Jockney Rebel
22-05-2008, 10:59 PM
what he said^^^ ..cutting stencils from frisk film is labourious and so easy to slip and go thru the paint thus fuckin the job up..

Darn
23-05-2008, 09:06 AM
F#ck me, Thanks guys, with all that info I had better do a pretty fantastic job or else. what i really want is to do the long hot rod stylee flames in an ice blue colour over my satin black, but i only want the outline of the flames.
Thanks again for all the help.
Thanks for the offer Bear, would love to see your set up, maybe we could do a scouting run down south before the next monthly ride.
:)