PDA

View Full Version : Pissed at RTA

miniman1
14-05-2008, 07:36 AM
Can anyone tell me if they have encountered this.

My brother recently bought a 02 ZX6 as a repairable write-off, upon finishin minor repairs it needed, took it 4 a blue slip and passed with flyin colours. Then we go to the rta and they tell us it needs to be inspected by an rta inspection station, then proceeds to tell us that it is now a $406 fee for something that only takes 5 minutes!!!!

Last bike I got was a Busa and also needed this 'inspection', but 6months ago it was FREE!!!!

Why is it that the NSW RTA feel the need to RIP US OFF more than ANY other state!!??

damo1
14-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Sorry to tell you but i pretty sure thats right.

I know of guys that have gone through the same bull shit with cars.

Im not 100% on the fee though? sounds a bit pricy??

Do you have to go to Botany?

gibbo
14-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Same down here in Vic except it's called a V I V, costs about the same. Trouble is the inspection seems to be done by people that know fuck all about structural repairs.

JackTar
14-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Mate my missus had to get the same thing done to her car which is about two years old just to change from NSW to ACT rego.

EXBEN
14-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Yeah Miniman any repairable write off under 10yrs old now has to go for the $400+ ID inspection. Kinda takes the edge off some of the cheap prices hey....

Large
14-05-2008, 09:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by EXBEN

Yeah Miniman any repairable write off under 10yrs old now has to go for the $400+ ID inspection. Kinda takes the edge off some of the cheap prices hey....

What if they're over 10 years?

Bear
14-05-2008, 11:29 AM
It's true and I agree - it's a total cash scam!

My pallet bike was a stat write-off but I got a replacement frame. The woman at the RTA says to me, "You'll have to take it to the pits for inspection. It'll cost $400 and a 3 week wait. Do you still want to register it?".

I was flabbergasted and thinking, "What do you fucking think? Have I really got a choice?! You obviously think it's too much money as well!".

For $400+ I expect it to be done on a walk-in basis. They can obviously afford to have inspectors in standby with that sort of money.

The RTA is a money pit!

I also fail to see how the market value of the machine has anything to do with registration. Why do they ask that question and why does the rego fee go up with the value?

Jay_G
14-05-2008, 11:48 AM
i agree that the rta is a bunch of money stealing cunts.
had to get a new plate for the bike due to an encounter with the rear wheel and a high speed.

$35 for a bike plate and rego label

its the same fucking price for a car for 2 new plates and rego label, the things are 3-4 times the size and there is 2 of them.

fimpBIKES
14-05-2008, 12:35 PM
they stung me for it too last year,
my TL is a 98 and i was tempted to wait....

Hillsy
14-05-2008, 12:41 PM
The inspection is purely to check that replacement parts are legit and you have receipts / all the paperwork is in order. They don't check anything to do with roadworthiness (that's what your blue slip is for).

The idea of these inspections is to stop the trade of stolen parts. Just how the WOVR does this in reality is kinda beyond me....

Cost me $330 about 2 years ago to "check" my ZX9 here in QLD. It's a rip-off alright.