PDA

View Full Version : Gsxr 1100 oil leaks

Dark Reign
10-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Ahh the bane of my existence.

The two o rings at the top of the oil drain tubes at the front of the motor weep oil all down the front of the motor and onto the exhaust.

Now a new leak is coming from what seems to be the rocker cover gasket in the middle at the front somewhere. Dripping oil onto my exhaust at the lights is soooo running my patience thin.

Now (prepares for right royal caning from mechanical populous) what are the pros(obvious) and cons of using engine oil stop leak to solve my problem?

I know im being lazy but i have a track day soon and pulling the motor out to replace gaskets at this stage is too daunting.

After having everything fuck out and needing something done to it whilst replacing my discs/brakes/oil cooler/air filters/cam chain tensioner/etc i am too scared atm to start fucking with anything else.

Seifer
10-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Pull it apart boss, those temporary solutions are very temporary. Mine is leaking from the exact same places and will be getting fixed ASAP. Replace all gaskets along the way, those 4 o-rings in oil return pipes, the ones on top of the cylinder, head gasket, the ones in the oil delivery pipes and even your rocker cover.
If you have a rough idea of what your doing, it should only take a few hours to do.
Try your temporary stuff if you like, but know your gonna have to strip it sooner or later.

Dark Reign
10-05-2008, 09:24 AM
yeah seifer, i want to get her all shmick and sealed up tight with all new gaskets in one go, just not this month. ;)
is it a motor out of the bike job?

will the stop leak shit do any damage until i have time to get the gaskets sorted? i have used oil stop leak stuff in my shitter cars before but never on a bike

Chris41
10-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Some of that Stop leak stuff can make the clutch slip.

Chris

11-05-2008, 12:04 AM
rocker cover comes off without droppin ya donk.

Seifer
11-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Assuming its an 1100 frame that is. You'll need to take the head off aswell to get to those tubes.

Dark Reign
11-05-2008, 08:33 PM
yes its an 1100 frame seifer, will the head come off also while the engine is still in the frame?

Seifer
11-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Yes siree it will.