PDA

View Full Version : Bike Alarms...

Funkenfresh
08-05-2008, 10:56 PM
anyone using or have used bike alarms..
i need to know the pro's and cons of using one...
i was thinking of using a disk lock with the inbuilt motion sensor..
but im also interested in finding out if the
full on alarm systems are ok...
also do you think they'd really deter and would be theft!?

oldskool
09-05-2008, 12:04 AM
As a m/c mechanic Id say don't ,It saps charge from your battery and they never work right unless you spend the big bucks and buy the best$$$$$$$$
And will only work as well as the disc lock with sensor when planted next to you bed or window, If they want your ride they WILL take it, the only answer is a big fat cable and a $$$ pad lock.

ninjaboy
09-05-2008, 02:32 AM
I've got one of those disc lock alarms. For $70 I think it does the job. As soon as you move the bike it goes off at 110db resets and keeps going off until the bike is still again. And of course makes it hard to roll the bike away. My bike isn't far from my room, so that give me plenty of time to run outside with bat if i hear it go off. Oldskool is right though, if they want your bike bad enough they (lowlife fucks) will take it.

Fatgit
09-05-2008, 05:21 AM
Rottweiler!

If your keen enough get yourself an system with a 'repulse' level siren. They're too painful for anyone to stay in the area of them. But I'd still use a fucking big chain and lock.

There are a couople of alarm systems on the market that incorporate pager functions, mate has one in his car that works up to 4km.

How much are the disk Locks with sensors in them?

Most modern (well designed) alarm systems suck fuck all power too.

wackyrider
09-05-2008, 08:44 AM
i got a disc lock with an alarm as well.

The one i have is from XENA

www.xenasecurity.com

Retail of mine is $75. Model XM14

110dB alarm and a 14mm locking pin.
If not sure where to buy them, they sell them at my part time job, Ride'n Rockets in Brunswick

Funkenfresh
09-05-2008, 03:45 PM
a pager function sounds good! i few systems on e-crap (bay) have that, but they look lke cheap systems, and have to many parts to them.. i just want one unit to put under the tank.. not 3

ninjaboy
09-05-2008, 05:51 PM
quote:The one i have is from XENA

www.xenasecurity.com

Retail of mine is $75. Model XM14

110dB alarm and a 14mm locking pin.
that's the same one i have. I think they're good for the price and they're pretty chunky. Can't imagine someone being able to cut through one, well not before I get to them first.

Bear
09-05-2008, 08:02 PM
I heard reports that the Zena alarms go off too easy in car parks and public places with traffic passing, annoying the crap out of people in proximity. This true or a wife's tale?

oldskool
09-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Its true but FUCK PEOPLE!!!!!!
aaaarrrrrrr thats better

Dark Reign
10-05-2008, 08:22 AM
yes Bear, mine goes off randomly all the time. I just hang it off the bottom of the disc so that the sensor in the unit doesnt let the alarm arm. But when the bike is moved it slides along and then arms. Still just a disc lock really, but with a little more piece of mind.

Jockney Rebel
10-05-2008, 09:36 AM
..tap a sparkplug into the bottom of yer tank ...itll fuck the bike but itll intorduce mr lowlife thief to his maker too ...........or at least a burns unit and with the added extra of himnever being able to father young fukin lowlifes in the future
i used to use a paint mine[the sort they use in army training grounds and are commercially available now ] in me garage full of the contents of next doors cats litter box ,,altrnatively u can get em with the stain that stains yer skin and clothes [this actually worked and stopped the little fukers breakin into me garage ]..but as above nothin deters them more than a decent lock ..trust me i know
most disc locks ive tried have split when ive ridden the bike away after forgetting to unlock the things

ozkat
10-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Alarms wont stop your bike being stolen if a thief really wants it. It may deter a half arsed attempt but that about it. If you can afford it get good agreed value insurance.

VIPER
11-05-2008, 06:49 AM
In my opinion,from selling Zena disc locks alarms,Scorpio and Snithcer,Abus alarmed disc lock/chain combo and Meta systems leggos 3 units,which includes the ones I use on my bikes are; the major reason for faults on Zena are flat batteries (even when new),over Sensitive trigger (sets of alarm),and some under Sensitive units. the weak spot is all you need is the right size allen key and abit of practice to remove sensor unit and remove the batteries to silence them. A Scorpio alarm acts as a pager (claimed upto 1/2 mile),has full LCD remote that tells you which sensors where triggered and at what time,easy to install as you can buy bike specific looms, Price is $600rrp which includes universal loom + plug/loom to suit most bikes. Abus combo lock/chain are real good,but it could be louder (yet to test with new set of batts,as i got a demo),chain can be use with a dyno bolt setup,again,the more you pay,better the grade of metal. Snitcher alarm uses a mobile SIM card ($5p/m or $60 p/y Optus contact) and sends sms of bike movement,can be activated/deactivated via sms. Anyway,if you need more info,just let me know,glad to help.....