PDA

View Full Version : Fightered Wiki

Lucas
06-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Early registration for Wikimania 2008 is now open.

Streetfighter
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
• Interested in contributing to Wikipedia? •Jump to: navigation, search
The tone or style of this article or section may not be appropriate for Wikipedia.
Specific concerns may be found on the talk page. See Wikipedia's guide to writing better articles for suggestions.(December 2007)

For other uses, see Street fighter.

streetfighter is a superbike that is customized by removing the fairing, and making other changes that result in an overall more aggressive look. Made popular by European riders, this type of custom motorcycle is gaining popularity all over the world.

This particular term should not be confused with a street motorcycle or street-use motorcycle, which is a generic term (used by the motorcycle industry) applied to urban street bikes.

Contents [hide]
1 History
2 Modifications commonly made to custom streetfighters
3 Hand-made frames
4 Technical Support
5 Controversy

[edit] History
The term "streetfighter" appears to have been originally coined by two drag racers, Odgie and Lil' Mark, whilst they worked at BSH (Back Street Heroes - a UK custom bike magazine) in the early 1990s.[verification needed] They applied the term to motorcycles which were modified to enhance their performance and handling, as opposed to the custom scene which preferred style over outright ability. (Can't take credit for this one, it was Steven Myatt who invented the term, to describe what the guys like Irish Stewart and Huffy were building at the time - late 1980s. They were kinda like what we used to call lowriders, only crossed with drag-strip styling, using big Jap Four motors, long low rigid frames, small tanks, nose cone fairings - nothing like the streetfighters of today - and still very much a custom styling thing, albeit with a performance twist. Odgie) The term has since been diluted somewhat, and is now regularly applied to any bike with motocross style handlebars, no fairings or other typical customizations. In recent years, the term has also come to be applied to motorcycles manufactured without fairings in this style, usually based on the same engine/frame combination as an equivalent fully-faired motorcycle in the manufacturer's product line-up.

It's unclear when and who built the first of the modern streetfighter. Though it has its roots in the Café racer culture of the 1950s and 1960s, there is a substantial gap between then and the modern streetfighter scene. The current trend in naked sportbikes seems to have started in Italy in the late 1980s, where owners of crashed superbikes started opting to leave off the damaged plastic as the plastic fairing is quite expensive to replace. This is what often gives streetfighters an unfinished or haphazard look.

Currently, (Race Replicas), like the Suzuki GSX-R Series and the Honda CBR series, that have been damaged in accidents or through hooliganism are generally the starting basis for a streetfighter. The GSX-R 750 was initially often favored, due to its light weight and flexible engine. A side effect of the use of the [1980]'s GSX-R was the retention of the dual headlights in the subsequent streetfighter. This feature is now a common trait in both custom bikes and factory streetfighters like the Triumph Speed Triple.

In 1993 Ducati introduced a new naked sportbike called the Monster. Since that time it has been a perennial favorite amongst streetfighter enthusiasts. In 1994 however, Triumph Motorcycles introduced the Speed Triple, based on its Daytona sportbike. This was an immediate success and rapidly eclipsed the Monster in sales. The Triumph is now the current favorite among factory streetfighters due to excellent performance, low ownership cost, and high reliability.

In the intervening years both bikes have been substantially improved, and have been joined by a rapidly growing group of other manufactures producing naked sportbikes. These include: Benelli, Aprilia, Bimota, BMW, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, and Buell, a subsidiary of Harley Davidson. Even the "big four" Japanese motorcycle manufactures, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha, have tried to enter this market, but with limited success to date. Some of the Suzuki models do, however, remain a popular "base" for the build-up of a custom streetfighter motorcycle, such as the Suzuki Bandit and SV series.

[edit] Modifications commonly made to custom streetfighters
Clip-on handlebars replaced with motocross-style handlebars
Raised rear subframes
Most fairings removed, modified or replaced
Distinctive paint schemes
Loud aftermarket exhaust systems
Aftermarket headlights to replace often heavy headlight setups
Large rear sprockets to sacrifice top speed for more acceleration
Larger brake discs than stock
Improved brake calipers
Improved springs, shock absorbers, and various other parts to improve the chassis
Various performance improvements to the engine: superchargers, turbochargers, nitrous oxide, increased cylinder bores, custom porting, revamped fuel injection and timing, etc.
Ironically, some examples are so highly customized as to actually exceed the cost of the original repairs. Chromed and/or modified frames, expensive engine work, re-routed cables, various appearance accessories, and custom paint are also often seen.

[edit] Hand-made frames
The most extreme motorcycles are those with hand-made frames; the most famous of which are made by

Bakker (NL)
Harris (GB)
Martek (GB)
Moko (D)
PSS-Rau (D) central-tube frame like Egli
Spondon(GB) Aluminium frames

[edit] Technical Support
Support Can Be Found For Owners & Prospective Streetfighter builders By clicking Link Below

Streetfighter Forum (GB)
Streetfighter Source (US)
Streetfighter Parts (US)
[1] (US)
[2] (US)

[edit] Controversy
Some people automatically (although unfairly) associate the term "streetfighter motorcycle" as one that is being operated by a rider who usually exhibits a gross general neglect of traffic regulations. And although it may be true that "some" streetfighter riders do occasionally like to perform stunts while in traffic, it is still highly debatable as to whether or not streetfighter riders, in general, cause more problems on the road than riders of stock sportbikes, or riders of any other type of "street" motorcycle for that matter. The one explanation that might be attributed to this reputation of being a possible "traffic trouble-maker" might be the distinctive visual appearance of most streetfighter motorcycles; their appearance usually making them more easily "noticed" in virtually all situations, whether the rider is actually breaking the law or not.

Gix11
06-05-2008, 09:55 PM
By the way, if anybody becomes and editor of this entry and tries to add ASF as a link, don't bother, some other would be editor from another forum will come and delete it. Some people are so fucking lame. We only added it to the end of the list and some fuckwit came in and deleted all of them and added his own. Don't really need to let you guess which mob it was do I?

Large
06-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Wasn't that bloke over at Dragbike.com.au was it?

ozkat
06-05-2008, 10:15 PM
HAHAHAHA i doubt it i dont even know what a wikithingy is.

Fish
06-05-2008, 11:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

By the way, if anybody becomes and editor of this entry and tries to add ASF as a link, don't bother, some other would be editor from another forum will come and delete it. Some people are so fucking lame. We only added it to the end of the list and some fuckwit came in and deleted all of them and added his own. Don't really need to let you guess which mob it was do I?

Who was it Si? I think we should go round 'is 'ouse an beat tha livin daylights ou' 'v 'im!!!!:D

latheboy
07-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Or we could all join his forum and have some fun....

Hillsy
07-05-2008, 10:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

Would that be www.tosserbikeforums.com ??

Gix11
07-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Let's just say that you'd need a boat or plane to get to either of the mobs that were guily of deleting everyone accept themselves.

Ok, just as an experiment, I've added us again to the tech support list on the Streetfighters page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streetfighter

See how long it takes before we disappear again and see which Streetfighter group somehow manages to survive the deleting.....

alfiestorm
07-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Thats all rather ghey isn't it.

MONO
07-05-2008, 07:25 PM
still there so far !!! whats the normal time frame

Gix11
07-05-2008, 09:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by monoman

still there so far !!! whats the normal time frame

Last time it was about 3 days.

zx12argh
09-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Woohoo - lets start a wiki fight - Who can delete everyone else before we get deleted. If you all chip in we can check at hourly intervals ;)

latheboy
09-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Checked in .. we are still on top

Lucas
19-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Still on top

motogp_nut
19-06-2008, 06:45 PM
It's on top - but it links to streefighters.com.au

What's a streefighter? :)

morrigan
19-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Ha haha! "Server not found!"

Gix11
23-06-2008, 04:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by motogp_nut

It's on top - but it links to streefighters.com.au

What's a streefighter? :)

What did I tell you? Whoever it is thinks they are getting smarter hey? .....So fucking lame.

I changed it back again. Lets see what they do this time.

ab420
01-09-2008, 02:38 AM
We put our link on there like a year ago, then someone removed it, we put it back, someone took it out again, so I gave up.... now it's back there again as "Streetfighter Source" Not sure who the hell did that....while I love my site... I'm pretty sure we weren't the source of streetfighter lmfao!

I actually talked to Dave Manning (SF Mag) recently about Wikipedia, and he was pretty pissed off about it too. Apparently people keep changing his shit on there too, including re-writing history (incorrectly of course...)

Wikipedia is a great idea... but it only takes one clown to mess it all up. :(

ab420
01-09-2008, 02:43 AM
Did anyone else find this Wiki article comical? I couldn't help but laugh at a few parts of it... lol

Lucas
04-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Link still works