PDA

View Full Version : front rotors

pt
31-07-2006, 10:53 PM
ok so i just got my 2nd hand replacement disc in the mail (only one off egay) and it's from a later model gixxer 750 instead of my 1997 600srad. the holes are in all the right spots, so i can put it on, BUT the newer one has a slightly different carrier and weighs more(enough for me to be able to easily tell when i hold em). now theyre the same diameter and have the same bolt mounting pattern but they weigh and look slightly different, so the question is, can i just put two different weight discs on my wheel and ride happily off into the sunset or am i going to ride happily off to the heavier disc side and crash into a tree? i have a sickening feeling its the latter[xx(]

chadams
01-08-2006, 12:16 AM
dirt bikes only run one disc and so do drag bikes... so I doubt a few extra grams on one side is going to make much difference.

sharky
01-08-2006, 06:55 AM
Way back in the old days most road bikes only had single front discs...Like my old XS650..you could have used the disc as an anchor..It still didn't affect handling.

01-08-2006, 10:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by sharky

Way back in the old days most road bikes only had single front discs...Like my old XS650..you could have used the disc as an anchor..It still didn't affect handling.

XS650 -- WHAT FUCKEN HANDLING???????

sharky
01-08-2006, 12:40 PM
It was the special 'hinge in the middle' type......especially with an 840cc big bore :)

01-08-2006, 12:54 PM
With an 850 kit, the hinge would have been down the frame, and across it. Fucken fun thing to ride though. You know you're alive on one of those things goin hard.

sharky
01-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Oh and it was hardtailed as well......[B)]

01-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Gotta love a pot holed corner with a rigid don't ya.

pt
01-08-2006, 07:31 PM
fucken easy to see the answer when its right in front of you hey[B)]if ONLY i took a look around before i asked questions.[V]oh well thanks heaps i think i might try to get two discs the same anyway. looks prettier[:o)]

pt
02-08-2006, 06:24 PM
ok i'm not gonna try and get two 2nd hand discs. the bloke at the wreckers wanted 200 bucks AND the old disc i have which is still perefectly legal. rang up the bloke at aussie discs and i can get a brand spanker from him for 250! gonna put the weird ones on till i can afford the new ones:)

houle john
07-08-2006, 12:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by pt

ok so i just got my 2nd hand replacement disc in the mail (only one off egay) and it's from a later model gixxer 750 instead of my 1997 600srad. the holes are in all the right spots, so i can put it on, BUT the newer one has a slightly different carrier and weighs more(enough for me to be able to easily tell when i hold em). now theyre the same diameter and have the same bolt mounting pattern but they weigh and look slightly different, so the question is, can i just put two different weight discs on my wheel and ride happily off into the sunset or am i going to ride happily off to the heavier disc side and crash into a tree? i have a sickening feeling its the latter[xx(]

if memory serves me well , the 600 has a thinner disc than the 750/1000 therefore the weight factor is due to thickness. not a problem for function , you will not feel a difference on such a small amount of weight.
cheers

pt
07-08-2006, 06:43 PM
yep you're right it is a bit thinner, pity i didn't see it in the specs before i bought it. but it's just a bit too wide and the caliper rubs the disc because it's a bit thicker[xx(]something will be sorted though:)