PDA

View Full Version : Heat proof paint my arse

Jay_G
29-04-2008, 05:25 PM
So after only being on the road for a few months the supposed heatproof paint i used on the engine is fucked, flaking off and looking shit. used the high temp paint from supercheap from memory its the septone/motorspray shit.

so now i am going to pull the engine hit the whole thing with chemical stripper and repaint it.

its an aircooled Kawasaki engine, what is the process for prepping it and what paint or additive am i looking for that i can apply with a spray gun, is there a primer that can be used, or an acid etch based paint.

i dont want to have to do it again so i dont mind shelling out a little bit extra for a decent quality paint.

fimpBIKES
29-04-2008, 05:32 PM
same thing happened with the headers on my kat
that stuff is shite

BANDITROD
29-04-2008, 05:35 PM
use 2 pack mate and you wont have any hassles

Pommy Chopper
29-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah, what Banditrod said....2 Pack it!!

Jay_G
29-04-2008, 09:47 PM
do you guys use a primer on it too? or just throw the 2pac over the clean alloy?

Bear
29-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Yeh the cheap stuff only bonds to really clean or fresh metal ie ground.

BANDITROD
29-04-2008, 10:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by Jay_G

do you guys use a primer on it too? or just throw the 2pac over the clean alloy?
yep use primer aswell mate or it wont adhere very well

Pommy Chopper
30-04-2008, 05:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by Jay_G

Ideally you'll need an epoxy primer, if not a wash primer would be ok, but not the best.

Cheers'en.

Trips
21-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Don't know if you have paint sorted. If not try this.
www.PPC.com.au

lOOKS LIKE THE DUCKS NUTS

336LJ
23-06-2008, 10:58 AM
I did that on the extractors for the vh. its a load of crap. smelt burning paint the whole way home.

I was told pot belly black is a better alternative, I got some from the hardware store but never tried it on the cars, Im sandblasting the zx2r exhaust next weekend and I'll try the stuff then and see how it goes. I mean our old pot belly stove used to glow red! so that shit must be good.. unless it only sticks to cast iron.

morrigan
23-06-2008, 10:59 PM
I also heard that the pot belly black's good. That's what I'll be trying on the cafe headers. I'll let you know...

scrotary
30-06-2008, 09:15 AM
if you use a 1:1 acid etch primer, you can get paint to stick to almost anything, don't use cheap etch primers, its all about the preperation.
when you paint your clear coat, the solvents eat all the way back to the metal so any imperfections will show through.