PDA

View Full Version : short cans WHY

Pil
31-07-2006, 01:07 PM
I know im gonna get roasted for this one but why do you guys shorten ya cans. The 2 things I think of is for weight and noise am I barking up the right tree or just barking mad.

Gix11
31-07-2006, 01:39 PM
You missed out one massive factor mate - looks! Who wants a 44 gallon oil drum on ther side of their bikes? Of course that is almost as important as the noise factor. Weight isn't really an issue for most.

Iceman
31-07-2006, 03:07 PM
As Gix11 said, it's purely cosmetic. The noise factor is an added bonus though.

Pil
31-07-2006, 04:27 PM
So how is my yoshi gonna sound on my sv650 when its short, its already to loud for the road so I guess its not really an option if i wanna stay on the road legally.

31-07-2006, 04:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by Pil

So how is my yoshi gonna sound on my sv650 when its short, its already to loud for the road so I guess its not really an option if i wanna stay on the road legally.

There was a thread going around just the other day on this, and most people with shorty's reckoned they weren't having any bacon issues.

sharky
31-07-2006, 06:07 PM
I've just shortened the two cans on the XJR by about 4-5" and there was no difference to the noise level(running 4 pipes into the stock collector box helps), Just looks loads better.

papa smurf
31-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Another benefit of shortening cans is better torque at low revs & mid range.
We were actually having this conversation at work the other day & one of my mechanics who has set up a lot of racebikes over the years
reckons it's a great move. If noise becomes a problem just wrap some fibreglass around the baffle,
apparently this will improve the torque even more whilst taking the harshness out of the note.
I'll probably be giving the can on the old gs the chop sometime this week.
Rick

Gix11
31-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Shit, you're right Papa! I forgot about that. It was noticable on mine on the first ride after I chopped it, but it was so long ago I forgot.

31-07-2006, 11:57 PM
my new can seems to be alot crissper off idle/pilot thru midrange(not that i needed it),but the ultimate sacrifice is top end.just depends on the bikes power and where ya use it most often.

Slingblade
01-08-2006, 12:09 AM
The mail about the midrange is good to know. I chopped mine last week, and i have to confess it was for looks and noise only. Will be interested to see what it does down low.

joe.d
01-08-2006, 08:09 AM
Yeah I found it, helped the bottom end torque, though it seems alittle fluffy just over tick over.
Mines short though, I cut it down to 350 MM

fimpBIKES
01-08-2006, 12:51 PM
pil, my sv loved the short can

DOOO IT!!

01-08-2006, 01:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

pil, my sv loved the short Man

We know Fimp, we know.

fimpBIKES
01-08-2006, 07:11 PM
[:I]

Pil
01-08-2006, 09:46 PM
hey fimp what can are you running or were you running if you still have the sv . I wanna see the finished tl hows the build going and where did ya get the tank protector from i like it and wouldnt mind one for the fresh paint on the sv.

fimpBIKES
01-08-2006, 10:44 PM
YOU want to see the finished tl?

how do you think i feel about it!!! :D

i had a MIVV can that i bought while in italy,
it was pretty much a carbon ARROW slip-on (they are made around the corner from each other)

i also had the high-mount supertrapp on it for a few months at the start of the year
fuck that was fun

but the cut-down slip on was a piece of piss to put on
and getting an "S"bend to hight mount the supertrapp only cost me $60 or so

check out my old 650 thread for pics
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=583&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=fimp