PDA

View Full Version : EXUP valves

sharky
16-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Had a miny brain storm session with zx12argh....he was round to help me with something the wife couldn't manage [:0]
I have scored a brand new '07 R1 exhaust system (amongst other stuff) and we got to thinkin....
I I could find a DIY shift light/rev light thingummy that basically sent out a + supply at a certain revs and held it there as the revs increase but then turns off when it drops back below pre-set level I could rig this to a relay that operated the exup valve....
What do the collective genius think ??????

Fatgit
16-04-2008, 06:33 PM
A Pic chip based circuit would allow you to do it easily. There are a number of frequency counter circuits freely available on the net which would readily adapt. If needed I can program the chips for you. Know anything about electronics/computer programming?

Does the EXUP have graduated opening or full on / full off opening?

Have you thought about how your engine (What bike?) will react to the valves opening?

RUSS M8
16-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Why?

I know Yammy claim great performance advantages with EXUP, but Suzuki run an almost identical system on the GSXR's and say it doesn't affect performance at all, just for noise regs...

Although, I would like to see you try to get it going, would be kinda fun :)

sharky
16-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Its an idea for my FJ based project.
When I was running open end caps on the supertrapps the top end had a strong rush...but there was no bottom end grunt which is one of the motors good points.
Once I removed the open ends and reduced the number of discs it had a load more grunt down low.
I'm looking at it simply 'cos I will have the mechanical bits there to play with.

chopiesel
16-04-2008, 08:58 PM
fuck they valve off, gave my 06 r1 a shit load more down low grunt.

sharky
16-04-2008, 09:27 PM
I can see that on an r6..what they rev to 20,000rpm ;)
Mine redlines at 9500 with a rush at 6k.
I guess whether or not it works will be down to dyno runs.
What I want to know now is can I make the thing work ?
I will test the valve when it turns up...see how it opens/shuts.

Bear
16-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Read again, Sharky - Chopeisel typed 06 R1. Not R6.

I've been told heaps of diff things about the Exup valve. Sydney Dyno say to leave it working for bottom end torque yet Dennis Foran exhaust guru reckons they're useless and are only there for emissions or noise cancelling reasons. [B)]

I've left mine working for the time being but will experiment with it removed later down the track.

Iceman
17-04-2008, 01:25 AM
quote:Original post by Sharky
Had a miny brain storm session with zx12argh....he was round to help me with something the wife couldn't manage She still wont do anal then?

sharky
17-04-2008, 06:18 AM
Oops,my mishtake [:I]

And Iceman....I needed 2 hands...Ijust couldn't manage with 1 ;)

So, back to the point.
The shift light I have can be programmed to come on at X revs and stays on until revs drop below pre-set. I'm guessing I can use this type of thing to operate a relay which in turn powers the valve.
When r1's test themselves the valve opens fully and then closes. As long as I can rig it to fully open quickly I reckon it might work.
Out interest....can you weld titanium ?

Booster
17-04-2008, 07:40 AM
My 00 R1 is gutless mid range with the exup removed, just brought a new motor for it, to put it back to std,
3 tenths quicker and 5 mph in the 1/4 on my 98 gsxr 750 than the R1 with no exup
I believe the exup is a linear opening rate from like 1500-5000
a manual could be precise, not hard to get a electronic guru to set up something like that

Fatgit
17-04-2008, 07:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by sharky

Oops,my mishtake [:I]

And Iceman....I needed 2 hands...Ijust couldn't manage with 1 ;)

So, back to the point.
The shift light I have can be programmed to come on at X revs and stays on until revs drop below pre-set. I'm guessing I can use this type of thing to operate a relay which in turn powers the valve.
When r1's test themselves the valve opens fully and then closes. As long as I can rig it to fully open quickly I reckon it might work.
Out interest....can you weld titanium ?

Pah that's nothing, Large needs 3 hands, one for the deed, and 2 to hold his gut out of the way :D

And yes you can weld Ti

zx12argh
17-04-2008, 12:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by Iceman

quote:Original post by Sharky
Had a miny brain storm session with zx12argh....he was round to help me with something the wife couldn't manage She still wont do anal then?

Hey I ain't no ones bitch... but now seeing rus's big ole stumpy mitt it does trigger my fisting fantasies...

zx12argh
17-04-2008, 12:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by Booster

My 00 R1 is gutless mid range with the exup removed, just brought a new motor for it, to put it back to std,
3 tenths quicker and 5 mph in the 1/4 on my 98 gsxr 750 than the R1 with no exup
I believe the exup is a linear opening rate from like 1500-5000
a manual could be precise, not hard to get a electronic guru to set up something like that

yupp makes sense to be linear opening - just a cheap arse stepper motor (you're already getting the full system so you'll have this already) and the chip like chalk was saying. Totally doable mate

sharky
18-04-2008, 06:27 PM
The other thing I have to think about is that the valve needs to shut below the pre-set rpm.
I am assuming the stock unit has some sort of polarity reverse to close it.....[V] Maybe it can be spring loaded ?

I'm beginning to think that although an interesting idea I would be better selling the 'as new' exhaust, exup valve etc on the evilbay and spending the money on a proper exhaust system and dyno time instead....
I'll keep the cans and link pipe...got an 'interesting' idea for those [}:)]