PDA

View Full Version : Buying a bike #2

336LJ
14-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Okay I have been doing my research... well some anyway...
I forget who it was initially but someone mentioned I should try find a dropped daytona ;)

MAN what a bike. I havnt even seen one on the road yet, but went to visit the dealership to scope out the prices of them new... what do you guys reckon about the street triple?
Cheaper than the daytona, but to me.. I would only buy it if i wanted a new bike. cause as much as its like a polished up factory fighter in some ways its not the pig looking out of the backyard contraption I dream so much about... I just cant get past the sound of it either.
I have had no luck finding anything second hand, and cheap/dropped but mechanically A1.

Every now and then I spy 6's and even a zx7 for around 4-5grand... older model but thats the same price as my crappy 250!?? I could sell this thing and find something bigger and hardly have to save!

With the older bikes, say, an 02 zx7, or something even OLDER like my zx2r.. is there REALLY any difference compared with a later model bike? apart from cosmetics?
Id assume they have all kinds of new fangled efi/computerised engine doodads. but were the older ones perhaps not as rider freindly, or comfortable.. or reliable?
I havnt gone that far into it. as I have no one to ask who can really speak from experience.

Also, being on this 250 is BAD over such long distances, my brain feels like its being rattled around inside my skull from the shitty roads, and the long distances I have to travel leave me in agony from the riding position (lower back and neck issues)

Im considering buying something ready to go, and comfortable! ASAP to the point I have been looking at enduro bikes (DR650)
Allthough I really would rather a reliable, rego'd fighter (cheap!) if anyone has any recomendations. I actually dont have transport at the moment, (well the shitbox parts getter is about to see its end)

this wont be a project of mine as I learnt my lesson when it comes to pulling the daily/project/only mode of transport apart being stuck when something big goes wrong.
So I will still be doing my research to find the right one for me to start attacking.
But I would rather have a bike and not a p.o.s car (expenses etc)

The idea was to sell the 250 and use the cash to get something, but I might have to talk to the banks to get out of trouble. I cant wait weeks! the gf needs her car for work too.

Jockney Rebel
14-04-2008, 11:59 PM
get the street triple mate ..take the zorst off it and put a can on it re map it it ll go like stink try and find a crashed one [should be some around soon ,,lol]

Fight_fan
15-04-2008, 07:48 AM
I'd take the daytona! A mate of mine just bought one n WOW! Smooth as whipped shit!

pappas
15-04-2008, 09:15 AM
How about this?
http://www.motorcycledisposals.com.au/Bikes/Bikes%20Pages/5043R%20Sprint%20RS/Sprint%20RS.htm

or this

http://www.motorcycledisposals.com.au/Bikes/Bikes%20Pages/5034R%201050R/5034R%201050R.htm

Daytona 600

http://www.motorcycledisposals.com.au/Bikes/Bikes%20Pages/5066R%20Daytona%20600/5066R%20Daytona%20600.htm

336LJ
15-04-2008, 12:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by pappas

How about this?
http://www.motorcycledisposals.com.au/Bikes/Bikes%20Pages/5043R%20Sprint%20RS/Sprint%20RS.htm

or this

http://www.motorcycledisposals.com.au/Bikes/Bikes%20Pages/5034R%201050R/5034R%201050R.htm

Daytona 600

http://www.motorcycledisposals.com.au/Bikes/Bikes%20Pages/5066R%20Daytona%20600/5066R%20Daytona%20600.htm

I never knew of that site! where are they based?? I will definately be keeping an eye on that one. (till I can sell the car to fund my project bike)

336LJ
15-04-2008, 12:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by Jockney Rebel

get the street triple mate ..take the zorst off it and put a can on it re map it it ll go like stink try and find a crashed one [should be some around soon ,,lol]

yeah I even said to the guy at the dealers... just between you and me.. if someone drops one let me know lol.

zx12argh
15-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Buy my 8 month old VTR1000 - $9000 thats cheep!

336LJ
15-04-2008, 12:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by Fight_fan

I'd take the daytona! A mate of mine just bought one n WOW! Smooth as whipped shit!

how much did he pay for it all up?

The street triple is 11.999 plus on roads, the daytona I THINK was about 17?

BANDITROD
15-04-2008, 07:44 PM
i thought the daytona 675 was around 15k well it is around my area anyway

EFE 1230
15-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Any of the ten year old sportbikes would be right on the money, my choice would be a GSXR 600V (97 1st year)I've thrashed the ass off mine for years and never broken it (mechanically at least!). If you look hard they can be had for under 5k, all the 750 SRAD bits fit so you have lots of update options but just about anything mid/late 90's is pretty much bulletproof if looked after (service history should be looked at carefully).Fireblades can be had cheap as well.

DaveK5
15-04-2008, 08:43 PM
I know a guy who bought a water damaged(not actually damaged) Daytona 600 at auction (mackay flood) for $1900...nobody would bid on it, too afraid of what it would cost for parts I guess...took me half an hour to get it goin.
Cost to repair,oil,fuel,a fuse and a battery..and a carton of piss for myself to check electrical connections,seal with silicon grease and test the wiring.
It still has to get a WOVI yet but it an absolutely beautiful machine....Check out your closest auction centre...apparently a lot of bikes went to Brisbane as there were too many to go under the hammer in NQ.

Jockney Rebel
15-04-2008, 09:29 PM
isnt there someone on here who fightered a daytona ..?

miniman1
15-04-2008, 10:12 PM
I agree wif getting a bike from motorcycle disposals. I've bought 3 bikes from there, and my brother just bought a zx6 from there. Just do your homework on parts prices before you commit to buying anythin at auction or from motorcycle disposals. I've had mates think they're gettin a bargain - buy a wrecked bike, then find out bout parts availability and prices for repair, and realise they're no better off than gettin 1 already rego'd. Goodluck with ur search mate.

336LJ
15-04-2008, 11:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by miniman1

I agree wif getting a bike from motorcycle disposals. I've bought 3 bikes from there, and my brother just bought a zx6 from there. Just do your homework on parts prices before you commit to buying anythin at auction or from motorcycle disposals. I've had mates think they're gettin a bargain - buy a wrecked bike, then find out bout parts availability and prices for repair, and realise they're no better off than gettin 1 already rego'd. Goodluck with ur search mate.

Yeah mate that is EXACTLY what I am worried about. Right on the money.
Got any idea of bikes I should avoid in that regard?

336LJ
15-04-2008, 11:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by EFE 1230

Any of the ten year old sportbikes would be right on the money, my choice would be a GSXR 600V (97 1st year)I've thrashed the ass off mine for years and never broken it (mechanically at least!). If you look hard they can be had for under 5k, all the 750 SRAD bits fit so you have lots of update options but just about anything mid/late 90's is pretty much bulletproof if looked after (service history should be looked at carefully).Fireblades can be had cheap as well.

Thats good to know cause alot of these bikes I have seen way cheaper. and I guess being older they arent going to depreciate much further so I wont be at such a loss if I want to sell it, compared to a new new bike. (not to mention I would be down 3k or so in full comp insurance or I wont get finance
Definately leaning towards old school for my daily

336LJ
15-04-2008, 11:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by DaveK5

I know a guy who bought a water damaged(not actually damaged) Daytona 600 at auction (mackay flood) for $1900...nobody would bid on it, too afraid of what it would cost for parts I guess...took me half an hour to get it goin.
Cost to repair,oil,fuel,a fuse and a battery..and a carton of piss for myself to check electrical connections,seal with silicon grease and test the wiring.
It still has to get a WOVI yet but it an absolutely beautiful machine....Check out your closest auction centre...apparently a lot of bikes went to Brisbane as there were too many to go under the hammer in NQ.

God damn thats awesome. and I saw alot of water damaged bikes on the fowles auction pages, how much of a dick around is it to get a written off bike back on the road (not including parts I mean )
400 odd, and if its roadworthy is it all go,or are they that picky they can reject it after all that hard work for something you cant see, or is total crap.?

Fight_fan
16-04-2008, 07:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by 336LJ

quote:Originally posted by Fight_fan

how much did he pay for it all up?

The street triple is 11.999 plus on roads, the daytona I THINK was about 17?

I think he payed about 15K on road but u can get second hand 675's now 4 around 12-14k. They just ride SO sweet, its like its on rails hey! The gearbox is unreal 2! & i'v seen em fightered, they look sick!

miniman1
17-04-2008, 10:31 AM
what state you in?? In NSW, all you need is to repair the bike, keep all reciepts for parts/labour, and take it for a blue slip once repaired. If the bike is less than 10years old, you will then need to take it to an RTA inspection station for a check before they will register it. No fee, just a pain in the arse.

336LJ
18-04-2008, 01:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by miniman1

what state you in?? In NSW, all you need is to repair the bike, keep all reciepts for parts/labour, and take it for a blue slip once repaired. If the bike is less than 10years old, you will then need to take it to an RTA inspection station for a check before they will register it. No fee, just a pain in the arse.

hi mate yeah I am in QLD, Im about to have a look at the Written off vehicle report.. thing.. about re registering a written off bike.
I was wondering about how picky they are, e.g you slept with the inspectors daughter so he's out to get you. or are there strict rules they have to follow..?
incase they are narky pricks

336LJ
18-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Iv been ringing around, looking EVERYWHERE I can think of, found a few good cheap bikes for around my price range, I'm saying 5000 but I will try get 6000 from the banks so I have something to play with.
I am mostly looking at mid 90's zx7's zx9's, a few getting around in my price range but with 50-70,000km on the clock.
If the service history checks out, is this a decent price for something with so many k's??
I cant beleive some bigger bikes are going for less than a 250 of the same model, its nuts.
Makes me think wtf is wrong with it then?!?

Im not tooo keen on getting a cbr, iv been a kwak fan for a long time [8D]
Im probably going to avoid the dr650 I had my eye on.
My mates said they would refuse to talk to me, cause no matter who you are, if you ride one it instantly makes you look like a tool lol.
I figured 5000 for an 06 model with 10,000ks would be a steal!
My mate also mentioned winters coming, and fairing is a good thing to have on along trip home at 1am every night after work.

Fatgit
18-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Ya live in QLD ffs, what 'cold' winter nights? If you were riding butt naked (and no that is not a suggestion ya perv) on a naked bike you wouldn't get a chill.

PS Listen to your mates, very wise they are indeed.

What do mid-90's GPz1100's go for these days? Now There's a real man's bike.

336LJ
18-04-2008, 12:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by Fatgit

Ya live in QLD ffs, what 'cold' winter nights? If you were riding butt naked (and no that is not a suggestion ya perv) on a naked bike you wouldn't get a chill.

PS Listen to your mates, very wise they are indeed.

What do mid-90's GPz1100's go for these days? Now There's a real man's bike.

haha Im like a pensioner with hypothermia at about 19 degrees C.
Might ride home with a hot water bottle down my shirt so I dont get the sniffles.

Had a look at a few GPZ1100's.. they look like they make awesome fighters, first thing Id do is rip that mong front end off. but over all I like the shape of them. saw some tidy lookin ones between 2,500 - 3,500

Got "approved in principal" for $6000 today, find out monday for sure.
I could have got 18,000 but fuck that for repayments!
15% interest :(

Fatgit
18-04-2008, 12:23 PM
There ya go a GPz11 for 3k and 3k for goodies from Stu.

You'll make a friend that way.