PDA

View Full Version : Legalities of customizing in NSW?

Res7
11-04-2008, 01:14 PM
[?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?]
Whats the go guys? I am constantly dreaming aboutdifferent things to do to bikes but I usually let the daydream slide with a thought like "Nah, it's prolly illegal anyway." I don't wanna get nicked anymore than the next guy. Can I chuck the rear shocker away and get the welder out to create a jap motored hard tail bobber? If i put bike a's motor in bike b's frame with a custom swing arm and bike c's front end, what would I attempt to reg it as? Can I chop a subframe to fit a custom ducktail? I would really like to know some of the finer details of some of this stuff. From choppers to fighters and everything in between.

If anyone can link me or give some good advice It would be much appreciated.
Cheers.[B)]
[?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?]

Seifer
11-04-2008, 01:54 PM
It's stickied: http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=915

Seifer
11-04-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm pretty sure that the bike will be registered as whatever the frame is, ie what it says on the comliance plate.

EXBEN
12-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Res7, If your bike can be engineered it can be registered so best to talk to an engineer before doing any major mods. As Seifer said it will be registerd as whatever is on the compliance plate ie: you can change swingarm,forks,engine,bodywork & as long as it can be engineered it will be registered as whatever the compliance plate says (with mods).
Here's a basic information sheet from the RTA website.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi28.pdf
Look at section 8(b),it doesn't say you can't have a hard tail, now this is obviously aimed at Harley/Choppers but theres nothing to say it can't be applied to a sports bike, it all depends how you "interpret" the legislation.
Basicly you can get most things complied as long as the mods don't make the bike unsafe & any work is done properly.

EXBEN
12-04-2008, 09:47 AM
& here's a list of approved engineers.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_15_-_engineering_signatories_nov_2007.pdf
Getting an engineers report adds to the cost of a build but when a cop pulls you over & sees that your bike has been engineered they usually leave you alone.

Seifer
12-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Just wondering Ben or anyone. If you've had one thing on your bike enginered, say a bigger engine and have the certificate for it. Does the average cop who pulls you over have access to the document. I know there is reference to it on my rego but can I simply say that all mods are covered by that certificate/reference on my rego papers, and have that be that?

EXBEN
12-04-2008, 03:32 PM
The RTA keeps a hard copy of your engineers report on file,I doubt they would go to the trouble of scanning everyones engineers reports so they could be accessed by a cop at a road side stop(but they may). But what your suggesting would be the wrong thing to do Seifer [:0]...........

Seifer
12-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Yeah Ben, cause I'm alone in thinking that on this site. :D

chopaweeza
12-04-2008, 04:51 PM
What I recommend to blokes I build frames for is to keep a copy concealed on the bike. When a cop is faced with documentation they usually back down and those that don't usually end up in jot water. It also shows up on your rego papers as well to indicate the vehicle has been Engineered. Our Jason got pulled on his Z750 rigid 2 years ago , produced a copy of the Engineers Certificate and got a laundry list of tickets. He took it to court , his three riding mates gave similar accounts , the case was thrown out of court , the judge gave the cops a royal roasting , the police apologised for the behaviour of the Sgt involved and the 40 year old Sgt copped a desk for six months . Our Jason was smart enough to know the rules better than the cops , have his bike basically legal and he had a copy of the Engineers Certificate with him. Knowledge is power as they say.

Res7- If you ask specific questions people like Ben or myself who know the ins & outs of the rules can give you clear & precise answers. Now , to answer one of your questions , if you use 50% or more of a donor frame and have the rest non-stock the vehicle gets inspected as a modification of the original vehicle and as such keeps it's VIN. The inspection for this is generally alot cheaper than a full inspection. For example , a bolt on Triumph rigid frame generally costs about $300-400 whereas getting a new built frame engineered can go up to $2500 . Either building a new frame or using less than 50% of a stock frame means that a new VIN is issued and a full inspection is required. As for items like custom swingarms , springer forks and such they technically require an engineers certificate . Non-OEM springers & girders generally are engineered whereas most swingarms aren't.

Res7
13-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Thank you for your advice and interest guys.
Much appreciated.