PDA

View Full Version : Riding in Canada

pt
10-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Ok question for all the canadian members.

How long would it take to ride from Cape Breton to Vancouver? and whats the best time of year to do it?

Any other info greatly appreciated:)

leathalbusa
18-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Hey mate.

So what do you plan to do? There are heaps of camp grounds along the way and the ride around Cape breton Is awsome. Now the Canadian riding season starts around May and will end in OCT. But the best time to travel Is june thru to sept as then the camping is good. Also everybody else is travelling School holidays are from june to sept. And definatly pack you dry rider as IT definatly rains during our summer. The trip I had to CB there was 3 solid days of rain. Now running coast to coast means about 12,000 K's east coast thru to Ont. Is all great roads and lots to see. Then you hit Western Ont. where the LARGE HORNY moose can mistake you for an amorouse female. Just make loud howling noises and Fake an orgasm and they will leave you in messy peace. Then you hit Manitoba You start to hit the prairies and now the road gets flat and straight. with heaps of Bugs and grasshoppers. Thru Saskatchewan More prairie. then into Alberta (gods country) Hit Calgary (have mates there who run a couple a bike shops) Then Into the mountians (WoooHooooo). Thru to the Rockies and into B.C. Home of the first Blood movie then to Vancouver. Hard riding I have done the trip from Van to Calgary in 9 hrs. But was totally road F@##$ed after that trip. But from coast to coast with a heap of sight seeing Easy done in 3 weeks. Have done the run From PEI to Calgary in 51 hrs in a car.

Anything more hit me

Leith

Fatgit
19-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Where are the Grizzly's mate, we wanna make sure he experiences all ya got ta see :D

pt
20-04-2008, 09:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by Fatgit

Where are the Grizzly's mate, we wanna make sure he experiences all ya got ta see :D

i don't intend on filming my own death with my bear buddies[:p]

pt
20-04-2008, 09:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by leathalbusa

Hey mate.

So what do you plan to do? There are heaps of camp grounds along the way and the ride around Cape breton Is awsome. Now the Canadian riding season starts around May and will end in OCT. But the best time to travel Is june thru to sept as then the camping is good. Also everybody else is travelling School holidays are from june to sept. And definatly pack you dry rider as IT definatly rains during our summer. The trip I had to CB there was 3 solid days of rain. Now running coast to coast means about 12,000 K's east coast thru to Ont. Is all great roads and lots to see. Then you hit Western Ont. where the LARGE HORNY moose can mistake you for an amorouse female. Just make loud howling noises and Fake an orgasm and they will leave you in messy peace. Then you hit Manitoba You start to hit the prairies and now the road gets flat and straight. with heaps of Bugs and grasshoppers. Thru Saskatchewan More prairie. then into Alberta (gods country) Hit Calgary (have mates there who run a couple a bike shops) Then Into the mountians (WoooHooooo). Thru to the Rockies and into B.C. Home of the first Blood movie then to Vancouver. Hard riding I have done the trip from Van to Calgary in 9 hrs. But was totally road F@##$ed after that trip. But from coast to coast with a heap of sight seeing Easy done in 3 weeks. Have done the run From PEI to Calgary in 51 hrs in a car.

Anything more hit me

Leith

i want to ride coast to coast pretty much. i have heard the middle of canada (saskatchewan etc) is pretty empty and possibly boring, but its just one part of the trip. still unsure whether to pin it one side to the other or take it slowly. probably looking at going 2009, but may have to push back to 2010. and i guess i'd better start in june (but was hoping maybe may/april, but not keen on starting a mammoth trip in shit weather:)). and i'll camp as much as i can, but might have a few contacts with couches (any more contacts greatly appreciated!)

the other thing is the bike:D haven't really looked into it, but would buying a bike be advisable or renting or renting/buyback be more appropriate?

leathalbusa
21-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Well April/may we still get Frost. and possably Snow especally on the east coast and the rockies.

Trust me from some one who has done that trip heaps. you want to do it june july aug.....

And for grizzleys you can see them in the rockies and they love Campers they are just like those fruit roll-ups. I had an encounter with a Black bear crossing the road in B.C. right in front of my bike. was shitting my self wondering what to do stop gas it. they are big buggers.

Bikes are cheaper over there and have low K's depends where you are starting as to where to get the best deals...