PDA

View Full Version : Electric Turbos.

Weaselman
09-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Ok some of you may have heard of these.

They are in essence an electric forced induction system for your intake.
Low boost (About 1.8 to 2psi) and run off a 12 volt power supply.

There are kits you can buy on Egay and from the states and prices range from 300 up depending on the size.
Power gains are anything from 3 to 8hp depending. And dont require any injection remapping.

Now out of sheer curiosity im going to try one on the missus car in the near future.
Now her car is a Kia Spectra 1.8 with a modded intake by me and a full 2 and a quater system with a hi flow cat.

It isnt a pimp mobile but these mods made a massive diffrence to the car.
If this thing works im going to modify it with a small closed airbox and mount it on one of my carby bikes.

If it works i'll let you all know
If it doesnt well least i tried:)
And if it frys the electrical system you'll be the first to know too

How im planning to do it is wire it to a micro switch that will engage the impeller when heavy throttle is applied. When not in use it will windmill and it will suck through a K&N filter.

Large
09-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Wont Work

Weaselman
09-04-2008, 09:43 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Electric-Intake-Supercharger-Turbo-add-hp-Holden-kit_W0QQitemZ110241589577QQihZ001QQcategoryZ72478Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

example

Large
09-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Still wont work

Booster
09-04-2008, 09:51 PM
try converting 3-8hp to electrical current.....

Fish
09-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Well come on then fellas, inform us who are uninformed as to WHY it wont work, in detail cause i don't know shit and need to be spoken to like a three year old.:D

Large
09-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Google it Red Stripe :D

Booster
09-04-2008, 10:38 PM
The number of watts or KW needed to pump the air to 1 psi is way more than the bike can produce.
And also costs hp , maybe more than it makes if the system isn't efficant.

Large
09-04-2008, 10:48 PM
He's putting it in a car....but the result will be the same

pt
09-04-2008, 11:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bitchfish

Well come on then fellas, inform us who are uninformed as to WHY it wont work, in detail cause i don't know shit and need to be spoken to like a three year old.:D

think about it in energy terms.

petrol has energy locked in the chemical bonds. when it burns it releases said energy. so you are bringing extra energy in from outside (inside the molecules of petrol)

this electric turbo gadget. takes energy from the battery (which the engine keeps charged) and pushes a small amount of extra air into the engine. this means slightly more fuel can enter the engine and thus increase horsepower.

a normal turbo takes waste energy (exhaust) and pushes more air (not sure of the ratio but the number of times the exhaust turns the turbine is probably the number of times the turbine turns pushing air into the intake)

so you can see the electric gadget is taking fresh energy and using it to push more air whereas the turbo is using waste energy. so theres likely to be a bit of an imbalance?

fuck i have no idea why i even typed that out, makes no fucking sense. anyway the little electricery thing needs to suck alot of power to spin its little turbine and the increase in power doesn't make up for the loss of power in the battery

[:o)]

Fish
09-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Well that answers that then. Cheers. [:o)]

latheboy
10-04-2008, 06:47 AM
It does work on cars that have it start its working range at 3/4 or full throttle... Because of engine RPM the battery can handle the 40 to 60 amps these little suckers need( more amps used more RPM for the charger), tho your lights may dim when it starts up.... I was looking into this a while back for my shitfighter and i wanted to run 2 of them .. the bike just cant spare that kind of amps but like you im gonna give it a crack anyway .. a guy at work has one and we'll be testing it on the dyno to see if it does anything at all... Anything is possible you just gotta think outside the box Weaselman

streets
10-04-2008, 08:09 AM
It's reallly the same principle as a turbo, supercharger etc. You sacrifice some energy from your crankshaft with a supercharger, sacrifice some exhaust velocity and energy with a turbo. This one is effectively a supercharger (i.e. crank driven) however, it loses efficiency by first converting crank kinetic energy to electricity, and then back to kinetic again. That's why the gain only just outweighs the loss. The only real advantage over a supercharger is cost and ease of installation.
If you could supply the amps though, you could control the current to the unit and custom build you power curve, that would be cool.

fimpBIKES
10-04-2008, 09:28 AM
it doesnt work

Julian from www.autospeed.com did some testing on them a few years back
he's pretty technically savvy (involved in making many of the kits you buy in Jaycar etc) and although he never released the article (for legal reasons i believe) he strongly recommends you dont bother!

Benz
10-04-2008, 10:23 AM
A friend installed one on his suzuki sierra 4X4 engine. He claimed it made a little difference when switched on at full throttle, the engine appeared to rev a little easier, but when I looked under his bonnet the other day, it was no longer installed. The little electric motor had burnt out.........
I think the real difference[if any] comes from the fan swirling the air a bit, like those static blade vortex? units.I'm not convinced they make much, if any difference either.

ozkat
10-04-2008, 03:59 PM
I know a bloke who used a leaf blower as a supercharger on a Falcon

10-04-2008, 05:18 PM
...with pvc plumbing.

I have a Hi-Clone in my airbox...but dont tell anyone.

DaveK5
10-04-2008, 05:21 PM
quote: I know a bloke who used a leaf blower as a supercharger on a Falcon

Zoom magazine did it to a Camira years ago and yes it did work...5hp on the dyno from memory...but really whats the point....a 2lb bottle of NOS on the other hand....mmmm

Boxer
10-04-2008, 11:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

it doesnt work

Julian from www.autospeed.com did some testing on them a few years back
he's pretty technically savvy (involved in making many of the kits you buy in Jaycar etc) and although he never released the article (for legal reasons i believe) he strongly recommends you dont bother!

Showing my age here, but I used to work at the dyno shop as a mechanic where Julian did all of his testing when he first started Zoom Magazine. (I actually did all the suspension in "Project Camira"... cough cough). Anyway, he bought some of these things in back then and they apearedto be nothing more than glorified PC fans. We reckon a good V8 would suck on in and swallow it.

Booster
11-04-2008, 07:58 AM
Switched on guy Julian ,picked up lots of good tips over the years readng Autospeed.

fimpBIKES
11-04-2008, 12:22 PM
wow, thanks for the inside scoop boxer

FWIW i think Julian has gone off the rails in the last 2yrs...

zx12argh
11-04-2008, 12:39 PM
god fimp - had to think about that accronym for a minute
for those that need a translation its
Fimps Woody Is Wiggling

yupp work is boring today

but back to the topic - yeah very dubious idea these things - considering the RPM a turbo has to spin to make its boost - in comparison at 300kmph the 12r ram air induction is good for about 12hp so unless that little fan can do something similar to its charge its probably going to just impede the air flow.

Gix11
12-04-2008, 12:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by ozkat

I know a bloke who used a leaf blower as a supercharger on a Falcon

It worked as well. We don't call him Supercharger Mark for nothin'.