PDA

View Full Version : chain breaker/riveter tool

pt
29-07-2006, 12:46 PM
ok so i just bought a new set of sprockets and chain, and i was like, yeah sure i can put em on how hard can it be. i go and look in my trusty suzuki manual and wtf there is nothing about changing chains and sprockets. so i think i have enough of an idea of how to get the chain and sprockets off and put the new sprockets on, but what do i do with the new chain? do i need to go out and buy one of these little tool things to connect the chain or what? damn i wish i just knew shit instead of having to find it out[V]

Gix11
29-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Mate, first up leave your chain on before you loosen the front sproket as you will need it to get leverage. If it's a fucker to get loose put a block of wood through your spokes and use the swing arm as the brace. Once you have the front sprocket loose, loosen off the back wheel and if you're trashing the chain (which I guess you are) get a grainder out and grind a couple of pins out. Pull the chain apart and piss it off. Now change your front and back sprockets. Make sure the chain is the right length and you should have a open link in the box. Push it into place as and use the old link face you just pulled off the old chain as a guide to hammer the new link plate into place. Once you have it down (don't go too far!) get a ball pein hammer and spread the end of the pins. It doesn't take that much wacking to make it work. - tighten front sproket, adjust chain and you're done.

fimpBIKES
29-07-2006, 04:25 PM
what bike?

BOHEMION
29-07-2006, 04:29 PM
well done Gix, I could imagine you saying all that as i read it, well understood *copy and paste* save this one for later.

pt
30-07-2006, 09:09 PM
champion! good to get that little bit of extra info about the front sprocket cause i wouldn't have known that. can i just use a punch to round off the ends? i'm guessing the little link thingo that came with the chain that just clips on is for the bin then?

30-07-2006, 09:25 PM
i have no idea

speeddemon
30-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Ive been doing what Gix said - no tool - no issues ever. fuckme before the fools run i put a new chain on and gave it 3 whacks with teh hammer - 700km or so later, some wheelies, a few +200 runs and its still there.

The pin only has to be deformed the tiniest amount and it will hold - 99% of the force is along the chain, not in a sideways direction..

Gsxar
31-07-2006, 10:56 AM
What type of chain do you have?

Sounds like you have the type with a joining link not the pins? If it has a little clip with it.

"" There are two main ways of joining a chain. Firstly, you can use a special joining link which clips on to the side of a plate and holds it in place. The other way is to rivet the chain closed, which involves hammering a special pin until the end is smeared out a bit over the side plate and holds it in place. ""

pt
31-07-2006, 10:49 PM
i have the one with the linky thing. but everyone told me not to use the linky clip thing[?][V]

Gix11
31-07-2006, 11:06 PM
I didn't realise you had a split link pin job. You have a smaller chain so it will be fine to use. Mind you, saying that, Supercharger has been using one of them on his 1100 for the last 20 years so I wouldn't doubt it's capability.

pt
31-07-2006, 11:31 PM
sweet as ill just use el lino thingo then!

Hillsy
01-08-2006, 09:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by pt

sweet as ill just use el lino thingo then!

Here's a tip if you use the split link - make sure the "U" of the clip is facing the direction of travel (so it wont accidently get pushed off) and smear a bit of silicon over the clip when it's on (so it definitely wont come off). Just for insurance......

pt
24-09-2006, 02:53 PM
ok so i'm trying to put the clip thing on right now and i can't squeeze the link together enough to expose the grooves that the clip needs to go in. and i've tried about 50 different ways and i cant do it. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck![V]

sharky
24-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Try long nose vice grips...apply just enough pressure to push the link .

pt
24-09-2006, 05:10 PM
ok i've had the vice grips on for about an hour. it seems to have come together about half of what it needs to and will stay that compressed. so by my awesoem logic, ill leave it there for another hour and all will be sweet:)

alfiestorm
24-09-2006, 07:37 PM
If that fails use a small G clamp and wind it on never failed when i used it several times.

Gix11
24-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Told you earlier mate. Use an old face plate the same size and knock it onto the one you are trying to push in with a hammer. It acts as a guide and applies even pressure all over so that it goes on square.

pt
24-09-2006, 10:33 PM
oh, missed that bit[:I]

it's all good now though. i got the clip off the chain i took off and it was a bit thinner for some reason and worked perfectly. took it for a test ride and everything. bloody awesome thats all i can say. love the fatbars!:D[8D]

WATEVR
24-09-2006, 10:49 PM
another question how tight do you do the nut which locks the front sprocket? medium sized grunt or just till its tight? any rule of thumb on this.[?]

latheboy
25-09-2006, 10:30 AM
i just did the chain and sprockets on my gsxr .. followed the book to the letter and fuck me the nut on the front sprocket wouldnt come off had to use a rattle gun in the end (it was out of gear when i used the gun).. it had about 4L of loctite on it .. pulled the nut up 130nm thats what the bible said but check for your own bike it will be different between bikes and its not somfin you want to come off in a hurry

pt
25-09-2006, 12:01 PM
you do it up fucking tight! i reckon most would be about 130nm. thats what my bike was as well. mine wasnt loctited and i didnt locktite it when i put it back on. make sure the chain is on the bike though and someone sits on it while you tighten it otherwise youll never get it done up tight enough:)

sharky
25-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Or you use a lock/tab washer. Do it up tight and bend up the tabs...can't come loose then.