PDA

View Full Version : Front spring spacers?

-Dex-
04-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Started tearing down my 85ish gsxr750 front end today as it is sagging more than oprah. After replacing the fork seals, putting new springs in and topping up the oil I put her back together and lo and behold, she's still sitting low! :(

Anyway, after consulting my handy exploded diagram, I realised that I was missing the spring spacers that sit between the spring guide and the flat washer. here's a pic of what i mean:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/v840/expfork.jpg

Does anyone know if these were fitted to Aussie gixxers? (my manual is a british one) If so, where can I get them from or alternatively what are their dimensions so I can make a pair? I tried calling suzuki but they were about as useful as a cock flavoured lollipop so I thought Id try here instead. :D

evilkarl
04-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Just make some out of any old pipe mate, I just did the same rebuild on mine and used the nylon tube that came with my Progressive Springs. After the spring install I estimated I needed about 1.5 inches on spacer and cut it to size. You can use any old shit for it, Alloy tube or PVC Pipe.

Booster
05-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Cut to a length that allows you to fit the cap with a firm push.

-Dex-
05-04-2008, 08:21 AM
Awesome, thanks for that fellas.

Hey Booster, when you say that the cap should go on with a firm push, do you mean at ride height? Cause I have to extend my forks before I can even think about getting the cap on, and that's without the spacer in there?

evilkarl
05-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Yea Dex. When you have the forks fully extended, springs, spacer and washer installed, the end cap on minimum preload. The end cap should be reasonable hard to push down and turn onto the thread. Easiest method is to put the fork boot into a vice leaving both hands to hold, push and turn.

Zed14
05-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Leave internals out put cap back in drill big hole in cap and push internals back in with new spacer then weld shut.

-Dex-
05-04-2008, 04:46 PM
10-4. Thanks again fellas. And rexie, I'll leave the clever stuff to you mate, but thanks for using my thread to increase your post count. ;)

Zed14
05-04-2008, 06:04 PM
no probs. but i didnt do it for the post count. someone will listen to me one of these days.