PDA

View Full Version : FZR250 - Death rattle

336LJ
27-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Hey a mate of mine has bought my recently deceased mates old 2kr.
Theres been a bit of a rattle on the clutch side
which he says is getting progressivly worse.
The only thing I can think of is what you guys said to look out for, clutch release bearing.
any idea on how difficult/time this would take. He wants to do it himself but a trained mechanic would be a lot more reassuring !
id give it a crack, but all i can picture is when I pulled apart my drum brakes on the commodore and PYEOWWWW shit flew everywhere and I had no idea how to put it back lol
cheers

Jockney Rebel
27-03-2008, 01:04 AM
clutch aint that difficult really .first thing to do is start her up and pull the clutch lever in and see if theirs any change in the noise
if it dissappers completely its almost certianly your release bearing

.just remeber its a wet multiplate clutch ie drain the oil first! take the cover off.. lock the engine up[i usually put it in first and put the back brake on to spin off the centre nut]
you should find about 6 bolts in a circle undothem in sequence theyve got the clutch springs in em
pull off the centre casting and the plates should come with it keep the plates in the order they came off youll have alternating friction plates and plain steel plate clean these up ,a kitchen nylon scourer will do depending on how your clutch is activated you may ahve an arm inside the outercasing that will have a release bearing in it that can be a noisy fucker
right now... the basket thats still in the bike, pull it off youll find a smallish roller bearing in the middle thats the bearing thats probably causing the racket
also check the clutch basket for wear on the fingers that makes the plates stick these should be free of digs where the plates hit it if not you can carefully file them to get rid of small ones
if theirs a lot of wear get a new one or a decent s/hand one

Seifer
27-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Its def the clutch on the 250's. Most have it, mine has it and I honestly wouldnt worry about it. Pull the clutch in for a noticeable difference in the rattle to ensure it is the clutch.

336LJ
27-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks heaps guys, Ill get up there and investigate a bit more this afternoon before work.

Weaselman
27-03-2008, 01:47 PM
clutches have always been the weak link on fizzers

Seifer
27-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Hemce why my input is don't worry about it. Its causes no dramas apart form the noise and is bound to happen again. Get a louder zorst so you can't hear it hehe.

Jockney Rebel
27-03-2008, 03:44 PM
what he said ^ lol i forgrt to mention its not gonna blow up ..its just annoyin

336LJ
28-03-2008, 01:36 AM
LOL yeah well to the untrained ear. I can see why it sounds like its going to spit bits of "ENNJUNN" out at your legs.

I had a fang on it tonight on our lunch break.. not a bad little bike! bit cold through forest lake tonight with stubby shorts and a hi vis t shirt. but yeah, the noise almost dissapears completely when you pull the clutch in. my shitbox r31 parts car does the same thing in neutral.

LOL @ louder exhaust. If it was me id just leave it. its a tricky situation being my late mates bike..

what actually causes it does anyone know?

Jockney Rebel
28-03-2008, 01:38 AM
thrust bearing ........most likely

_M_
28-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Just be warned i had and fzr250 and it spat out the 4th piston through the bottom and top of the engine (i could see from the top through to the ground, lol), and have heard of a few others with the same occourance. Solution top up with oil ohhh and dont get yamaha to service it, fcking apprentices.