PDA

View Full Version : OEM Bearing Sizes

Hagarr
21-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Giday just wondering if anyone has any information on cross referencing of Wheel Bearings from OEM. I modify (Like everybody here) wheels from different models and always come across the problem of not being able to get the correct bearings to suit what I am doing eg. the wheel I am putting into generally is off a later model bike which has a larger axle diameter and to find bearings to suit the OD and ID are almost impossible to find. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

pt
21-03-2008, 05:44 PM
find a good bearing shop. if youre in sydney theres one mascot/alexandria way. the blokes there are pretty awesome, just give em OD and ID and they'll see if they can find anything. not gonna be easy as width, application etc comes into but they are happy to exhaust all options for ya.

otherwise i have NFI:D

Deano
21-03-2008, 07:22 PM
good bearing guys are hard to find;)

Issues
21-03-2008, 07:56 PM
you can get bearing books with all info in em, like nachi, skf, nsk ect.

hooligan
21-03-2008, 08:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by Deano

good bearing guys are hard to find;)

What he meant to say is "ask me, i'm a good bearing guy"

Hagarr
22-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the input. The problem is most times you can get the ID and OD by searching through the lists but then you find that the thickness is different which is a pain. What I was hoping to know is if the OEM part numbers can be cross referenced to their relative sizes. e.g. Suzukii part # ABCXY = 43od x 25id x 12thk. Does anyone know of a list that exists which can cross reference these OEM numbers from the relevant bike manufacturers.

Deano
22-03-2008, 02:02 PM
i doubt such a list will exist. maybe you could start one?

Hagarr
22-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Well there's a task.

moog
01-04-2008, 07:46 AM
Yer know, you can machine down the widths to suit if they're only a bit too big, don't you ??
I fitted a double row output bearing to my GSX EF gearbox, and multi-ball race behind the clutch, use carbide and run it fairly slow, i had to put the locator grooves and locator pin holes in & everything.
Of course, you might have to loose one of the seals, if its a wheel bearing

Hagarr
01-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Hadn't thought of that but I seem to find the biggest problem is OD to ID doesn't ever seem to match. Particularly the newer axles as they are quite large as you know.

moog
02-04-2008, 07:47 AM
i guess you could even machine the diameters as well, but holding them might be a bit tricky, also getting the size just right would be difficult cos you'd get some tool deflection so you'd have to be careful,
I'd only do it on the ID, as the OD is the important one for your press fit.
jamming up the ball race by freezing it in water might work, but you'd need to live in england, so it didn't thaw out while you were machining it !!
Failing that, make a lock up mandrel that grips the sides of the race