PDA

View Full Version : Urgent USD fork Question

Iceman
19-03-2008, 05:08 PM
How do I get the tops off my USD fork legs?

I have tried to undo the big nut but it wont come off. It does unscrew about 20mm but wont come out. Do I have to undo the smaller nut on top off it first?

I'm a bit reluctent to fuck around with it too much as I don't really have a full understanding of front suspension.

zx12argh
19-03-2008, 05:48 PM
dont know mate but how about get the relevant motorcycle manual off the net mate...

I'll try find mine and upload a snap shot - i'm sure most forks are built the same.

Deano
19-03-2008, 05:54 PM
if your rgv forks are the similar to gsxr the the following applies

take off wire clip at the top of the preload adjuster.
unscrew preload adjuster all the way till it comes off.
unscrew large nut (fork cap)
drain oil.
next you need to slide the outer tube all the way down the inner tube (as if the fork was compressed) you need to then either use a tool or 2 punches and compress the spring as you need to get a spanner in below the alloy cap but above the spring. there is a nut 14mm i think that locks the alloy adjusters to the damper rod. you need to get your spanner onto that nut. once the spanner is on the nut you should be able to let the spring rest against you spanner. then take another spanner and undo the lock nut, the top alloy section will then screw off.

undo screw from the botton that holds the damper rod and then pull out the damper rod/ you are then able to pull the seals out by using a little force and pulling the outer tubes off the inner tubes.

for assembly reverse above but bleed the damper rod once you put the oil in but lifting it up and letting if fall down.
it is a 2 person job to compress the springs and stop the damper rod falling down while you compress the spring.

you also need to wind in your rebound adjustor on both forks the same amount so when you screw the alloy cap on the rebound adjuster will bottom out and then do your lock nut up. then back off rebound to desires amount

to be honest mate is it a hard gig to explain over the web. if i had the forks in front of me then they could be pulled apart quicker than i can type this. but i don't. try to get a manual if you can as they are alot easier with pics

give me a call if you get stuck and i will take some pics for you

Iceman
19-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the info Deano, looks like it wont be getting done tonight. I'll have a crack on the weekend when I'm a bit more rested.

Deano
19-03-2008, 07:47 PM
good luck

zx12argh
19-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Sorry couldn't find my manual but looks like deano more then knows what he's talking about.