PDA

View Full Version : cold tyres

Richd
19-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Hey everyone,
The most basic of scenarios I know but I had a cold tyre incident just this morning.Standard right hander at about 40kph fairly tight and lost the front end in half a second.Motherfuck.No fairings and wide bars saved the damage but my beloved gixxer did go down.Running Battlax BT014's front and rear which are notoriously slow warmers,how long to get them up to temperature?And how do you know?I always take it easy for the 1st half hour or so but i didn't think they'd let go that easily.Any basic rules?
Cheers lads

fimpBIKES
19-03-2008, 07:11 PM
accelerate and brake hard in a straight line

side to side flicks to get crap off em ;)

Weaselman
19-03-2008, 07:22 PM
could have been road crud too

just you cant see anything doesnt mean a cold tire wont react to it

zx12argh
19-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Any street tyres should be warm enough within the first 10-15 minutes of riding... They only time I've had issues with cold tyres was when I gave it a little too much gas on the 2nd corner from my house. Tank slapper to almost high side... I wait a little before I nail it tho that was in winter last year.

I'd say it was more likely greasey road if you were riding smoothly. I've lost the front end and dropped a bike going in a straight line over a patch of oil that was almost invisible unless you touched it. Hope not too much damage mate.

Richd
19-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Yeah,it was the first drop,I've had it registerd 10 days.Hardly any dam.ageNo road crud I could see at all.Riding smoothly,well maybe not I remember squaring off the corner as one would on a dirtbike since that's my heritage,have to re-learn my techniques.It was low speed with bugger all lean angle and bugger all front brake but i did turn kinda sharp.I've heard semi unfavourable reports on BT 014's but'd be the 1st to admit i fucked up.15-20mins it is. Cheers