PDA

View Full Version : inspection checklist

thatp1g
27-07-2006, 10:02 PM
My little brother is checking out a bike this weekend and asked if I would have a look at it for him. I cant for a bunch of reasons so he asked my to do up a checklist for him.

Would you good knowledgeable folk have a gander at this and tell me what you think?

http://www.thatp1g.com/stuff/Inspection%20Checklist.doc

Thanks in advance, Im sure i have missed a few bits.

BOHEMION
27-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Fresh Paint on Weld Joints /Frame work especially ones behind fairing and up around the Head Stem, Age of Fairing, a BRAND new fairing or entire head light (front end) on an older bike is suss

sharky
27-07-2006, 10:28 PM
Don't rely on a RWC...check everything yourself...

28-07-2006, 12:07 AM
whats the bike???seems like a thurra checklist but means shit if ya dont know anything about the history of the model in question.My advice is to offer $795 as is or threaten to report him to the cops,chances are he'll take the money and run.

fimpBIKES
28-07-2006, 12:56 AM
if they say its "low km"
and your not sure check out things like brakepads and sprockets

oh, and the bottoms of fork legs seem to be overlooked in most low-side repairs so i would check those out too

your list seems pretty good
its always good to not get caught up in the bike
and this seems like a good way to distance yourself

someone once told me that if an engine takes awhile to drop its revs that it is a sign
that it has had a hard life
not sure how true that is, but if i go and rev the 250bandit it definitely takes longer to get back to idle than it should

28-07-2006, 01:20 AM
sounds like a common problem with 2 strokes that have leaking crank seals,lack of crank pressure causes the bike to run-on after opening the throttle.

Captaintoc
28-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Umm that sounds like your jetting for the low end is a bit lean or you have an air leak round the intakes, try this get some aerostart or similar and give it small spray round the intake rubbers whilst idling (not near the airbox and *ONLY* a small amount.

If the revs come up then you have a airleak, if not then try adjusting your screws in small amounts to correct it.

So if it hangs up before returning to idle its a leak or lean in the pilot circuit, if it bogs when returning to idle (i.e. drops below the comes back upto idle) then is generally rich.

P.S. This is the most common causes not the only one if none of this helps it post back.

Have Fun
Andrew