PDA

View Full Version : Adelaide Hills Riding

Razorback
14-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Well last weekend I put the Kat on a trailer and towed it down from Mildura to a mates place in the foothills of Adelaide. I spent 2 and a bit days blasting the hills and just had the time of my f#$%^ing life!!

Sunday I would rate as one of the best days of my pathetic existence to date. For those of you that know the hills. I started off at about 7:30am and went up Newton Road on my way to Noarlunga... thats right.. no mistake.. I just wanted to take the longest and craziest route I could I went through every tiny town in hills between the morning and 4pm when I finally got to my mates place in Hackam.

Anyway the Kat went so well. I am amazed at how good a job the guy that built it has done. It rides like a late model GSXR, the road holding, the nimbleness, the braking its all just too good to be true. The 1229 power overcomes any edge that newer bikes I came across thought they had on the old girl. I was passing the usual array of teenagers on 600cc bikes and even a guy on a very nice Rossi Replica R1. The 1980's classic isnt done with yet by a long shot.

I pulled into this place http://www.garagemotorcycles.com.au/html/contact.htm at around 2pm and met some really great blokes. I asked one old timer (65 if he was a day) if he could direct me down to Mclaren Vale and on to Noarlunga. He said if I wasnt in a hurry I could wait and follow him and his mate down. So I grabbed a short black from the excellent coffee machine in the bike shop and sat with them watching 1980's bathurst bike racing on the big creeen for a while.

Garage Motorcycles has to be the best bike shop I have ever been in. What a great concept, big screen, nice chairs, fresh coffee, great people and some bloody bargain bikes. If anyone cares there is a 03 Gixxer 1000 sitting in there with a lot of work done to it and less than 30,000km on it for $9900ono right now... I was bloody tempted...

So we walk outside to get going and this old bloke goes to get on his HRC replica CBR1000. I was [:0] I said "that yours??" hes like yeah wwhat of it ? I said "shit I have mates at 45y/o (Im 42) telling me they are buying Harleys coz they cant handle the sportbike riding position anymore. It was bloody great to see an old bloke riding such a sweet bike. His mate of a slightly younger vintage had a Fireblade 954.

I figured this is gonna be a nice cruise for the rest of the day, following these fossils down the hills. well #$%^ me... I could barely keep up with em. They clearly knew the roads well and I lost sight of em a couple of times because I just wasnt prepared to hit some of the tree lined blind bends as hard as they were, not knowing how they tightend etc out of view. It was a lesson in humility for me LOL but I really had a great time trying to stay with em. I really hope Im still doing this stuff in 20 years like they are.

All in all a bloody top weekend. I will put a post up here before I do the next one (which wont be long) to see if I can drag some of you SA guys out for a days madness and death defying acts lol.
[}:)]

Adelaide hills would still have to be some of the best roads Ive ever been on. ;)

descendingfear
14-03-2008, 03:13 PM
That does sound like a bloody good ride.

EFE 1230
14-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Bring it on mate!!!!

alfiestorm
14-03-2008, 10:51 PM
as efe said bring it on, he is the master of the hills believe me, that man knows them roads fuck all wil stop him no matter what he is on.

WATEVR
15-03-2008, 08:48 AM
i know the guy selling the gixxer up at garage mate he too is one of the 'grey army'!! he know has 2 track day bike(one a ex KRC 600) and a vee strom for the road, which he just wrote off... but as you found out those old stooges dont mess around.

and you right the adelaide hills have the best mix of 25,35,45 55,75 corners in aus..

glad you had a good weekend.

Razorback
19-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Well I just took a job in Cavan and I will be living in Mawson Lakes as of 2nd April. So we will have to hook up at some stage. I will put another post up in the Adelaide Riders section once Im settled in and hopefully get a lesson from some of you blokes as we ride to a nice watering hole somewhere up there :)