PDA

View Full Version : Tank Scaling

pappas
11-03-2008, 07:19 AM
I pick up my 1989 GSXR 750 on Thursday, the bike hasn't been started in a while and the owner said that it was coughing and spluttering when it last ran. He thinks it may be because the tank may have been scaling. Is this a common problem with this model and what sort of damage could it have caused? I am thinkin that I will need a new tank, fuel filter and give the carbs a once over.

Cheers! :)

chopaweeza
11-03-2008, 07:58 AM
It's a common problem with most steel tanks if they live long enough. Empty the tank , flush the tank with hot water & a detergent that isn't salt based , dry it out with a constant air flow(a vacuum cleaner works well) and thats the prep. Using electrical tape block off the fuel tap mount holes and all other holes except the main filler. Pour in about 2 litres of acid and add a cup of gravel . Then tape over the filler neck. Turn the tank over to coat the inside with acid and give it a good shake occasionally . Do this for about 30 minutes paying special attention to shaking the crap out of the tank when the gravel is in the bottom. Pop the filler tape and look inside using a torch and a bit of mirror glued to a stick. You will quickly see if the acid has do it's job and if not then reseal the tank and give it a little bit more. When the rust is gone carefully drain the acid , rinse the tank with water , then dump a bottle of metho in it to absorb the remaining water swilling it round the tank before dumping it out. Use a constant flow of air(a vacuum cleaner or an air compressor) to dry the tank out . Then use a tank lining cream like POR15(just buy the Cream Liner not the kit)and follow directions by immediately using it to coat the inside of the tank.

Thats the cheap way to fix your tank so it will never have this problem again.

pappas
11-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks for that, I'll give it a go. Might be a dumb question but what acid? A Hydrochloric Acid or something less/more potent?

chopaweeza
11-03-2008, 11:57 AM
I use Hydrochloric Acid which is sometimes sold as Builders Acid. It works well.

buggyboy3
15-03-2008, 12:37 PM
I heard you can you metho to clean the tanks out too??
Anyone tried it?

buggyboy3
15-03-2008, 12:39 PM
hey pappas, I have a 86 GSXR750. Have you found it hard to find parts?
Are you having problems with the needle valves not closing?

chopaweeza
15-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Metho doesn't clean tanks . If used before adding fuel it can absorb water in the tank and then when you add the fuel the water/metho is absorbed into the fuel & burnt. Metho in a tank that has rust scaling causes more problems than it fixes.

Hagarr
16-03-2008, 07:51 PM
I've just treated my Bandit tank with a kit which cost me 120 bucks the tank was basically pissing everywhere (Its been sat for a while) pin holes everywhere the sealer seems to form a skin over the inside of the tank. So far looks good but takes 4 x days to be ready so won't know until tuesday at best to see how it works. Plugged the biggest pin holes with quicksteel first on the outside. Will try and keep you posted but first impression looks good.

pappas
17-03-2008, 02:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by buggyboy3

hey pappas, I have a 86 GSXR750. Have you found it hard to find parts?
Are you having problems with the needle valves not closing?

Hey mate, I've only just picked the bike up so couldn't really tell you about the needle valves, if your after some parts though I think DEX said that he had some bits laying around.

pappas
17-03-2008, 02:12 PM
A bit of an update on my tank, the guy that i bought it off said the tank was scaling but in fact the tank is fine besides some shit laying in the bottom of it. But i did do some research into what acid to use. I have a relo that works for AJAX chemicals and he said to use phosphoric acid which is the main chemical in all the rust remover products.

chopaweeza
17-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Yeh it is the best . Just like Nitric acid is magic for cleaning stainless But. Chemicals like Phosphoric and Nitric acid are controlled substances because there are plenty of ex-army types like me that know how to make all sorts of illegal things with them as an ingredient. It isn't people like me the Gumbiment is worried about it's these wankers that blow up school buses and such using explosives recipes found online. Hydrochloric acid is nasty and requires alot of care but it is legally available everywhere.

pappas
17-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Bit of useless info for you guys but phosphoric acid is added to some soft drinks for tang!!! Think about that when you have your next can of coke!