PDA

View Full Version : Classic Bike Project.

HOS
11-03-2008, 03:32 AM
This has been one of those long term projects, or just I couldnt be arsed to move it forward fast enough.

Bought it in 2002 for £150. Its a complete bike and it was a rolling one, with levers working and motor turning over on the kick start.
So it werent bad in other words ;)

Its a 1975 Classic Jap. Had their own road race series during the 70s. They were a bit of a fast bastard in thier day.

Its a Suzuki T500 2 stroke twin.
Not the "GT" its the one before that. The GT was slightly detuned.

Work completed to date:
Totally stripped down to the basics.
Frame bead blasted and powder coated black.
Fuel tank, oil tank and side panel painted in blue with gold pin striping as OE.
Wheels respoked with polished stainless spokes, new rim tapes, new valves and balance with some proper tyres on them, by "Central Wheel" in Coleshill UK.
Cylinder barrels and heads (seperate for each cyclinder)blasted and powder coated silver.
All ancilliary metalwork including battery box, air filter housing and various brackets have been blasted and powder coated black.
New chain and spr. New fr and rr brake shoes and springs.
Various other new parts ready for assembly.
The motor is still on my bench, just the gearbox now.
Top and bottom yokes are repainted and reassembled.
Bars are assembled.
Top binnacle with clocks reassembled on topyoke.

Thats it so far since 2002.

A lot of work to be done on this still ;)

I`m gonna take the motor down to probably the UKs finest 2 stroke engine builder... Stan Stephens for him to rebuild it right !
Then I need a new full wiring harness. The old harness is a disgusting piece of manky crap and was held vaguely in place by the twisted wire ties you use on sandwich bags ! [xx(]

The front forks need stripping and rebuilding too.
Zorst needs decoking and then rechroming as do the down pipes.

I picked up some almost new parts at the Donnington Classic bike show last month: Rear mudgaurd, rear light bracket and light unit, a chain gaurd, all almost as new for £100, not bad ! Better nick than the ones I`ve got ;)

Some photos to follow :)

HOS
11-03-2008, 03:33 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/68751181870252.JPG

Rebuilt wheels.

HOS
11-03-2008, 03:39 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/68751181895007.JPG

The lump as it is currently.

HOS
11-03-2008, 03:42 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/68751181877551.jpg

Although this isnt my bike, this is [u]exactly</u> what mine is/will be like.

Seifer
11-03-2008, 06:29 AM
Cafe-it!

DaveK5
11-03-2008, 07:04 AM
I worked on a Titan years ago..wild handling but a real nice torquey powerband...I've always liked the oiling system that the engine had a lot of other 2 strokes lack in that area.

Restore it and keep it forever.

Matt
11-03-2008, 09:46 AM
I love those old 500's. I would love to have an original one to go out cruising on.

fimpBIKES
11-03-2008, 10:44 AM
fantastic!

how-ever, since this is a STREETFIGHTERING website i am going to have to insist on you putting a turbo-busa motor in it

that is all:D

alfiestorm
11-03-2008, 12:02 PM
get some gixxer slingshot wheels and front end on it at least then you will have some brakes to stop the fucker, last time i rode one of those you had to plan ahead for all your braking needs.

They do look fuggin nice