PDA

View Full Version : Blade wiring and Air Flow

Slingblade
26-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Hi i need some more advice fellas.

I have rerouted the wiring into the gap at the front of the tank and it fits great but my concern is that it now covers up the air intake underneath the headstock. Will this cause issues as it would have to restrict airflow to the engine. Should i cut the existing box or go for pods, or will it be fine regardless?

thanks for the help, i would have already made big mistakes if not for your advice.

P.S. Bars are on with all switchgear installed, so i am making progress.

fimpBIKES
26-07-2006, 04:47 PM
mmm, im thinking pods at the moment too
just to clear up room under the tank

if your bike doesnt have ram air i dont see why not?
is there a tube going to the airbox for oil vapours etc?

if so then u might need to dump it into a little catch-can
not sure though cos i havent seen what your bike is like in that area

Slingblade
26-07-2006, 04:59 PM
Yeah the crankcase breather goes to the airbox. I could also extend the intake tubes down to the intake vent but then it would be bloody tight with the wiring as well.

fimpBIKES
26-07-2006, 07:01 PM
pics?

Slingblade
26-07-2006, 07:20 PM
i will try and get some up tonight.

dane_ra
27-07-2006, 08:50 AM
OK Nath, I've done the same thing... but there is another vent under the frame, on top of the radiator, have a look. I've got some wiring going through each gap, not real happy with it, coz it looks messy on top. I think im going to move it all to the bottom gap, leaving the top for air intake. Looks neater from the riders position too.

Might have a play with it today.

Slingblade
27-07-2006, 10:12 AM
What model do you have Dane? I got the intake above the radiator and a slight gap under the tank where it is rubber mounted. The throttle cable runs through it. Is that what you mean? I would nt have thought i lets much air though. Have you got your wiring running through there now? Did you just cut off the intake tubes from the airbox or are you running pods?

pt
27-07-2006, 11:02 AM
can you fit pods in the space between the carbs and fuel tank? i dunno exactly what your bike looks like under the tank but mine would be a tight squeeze under the tank. on my bike the space bewteen the tank and the frame is just big enough to get the wiring through, and i'm hoping to just put the headlight and speedo wiring through there, all the other stuff thats usually behind the fairing is gonna go behind the engine/in the subframe.

Slingblade
27-07-2006, 11:12 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/1022727432531810.JPG

Ok the section at the top of the frame where the wiring is sitting, is where the intake tubes for the airbox normally sits. There is an air intake slot just under the headstock above the radiator, as dane mentioned. as you can see it will be chock full of wiring. There is still some relays to go in yet. I think pods may be the go.

Slingblade
27-07-2006, 11:50 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/102272744825726.jpg

Yeah the airbox on the blade is huge. Once it is removed there will be plenty of room. You just add two of these dual inlet jobbies. I gotta get a part number though as they make heaps of different diameter flange sizes.

dane_ra
27-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Ah OK yours won't let as much air in because your tank has the two mounting bolts, mine is the 92, with a much narrower mount/single bolt, and leaves a little more room. I have the wiring running through there but I want to move it down to the lower gap beneath the headstock to tidy up the top.

Slingblade
27-07-2006, 06:24 PM
I have run mine through the hole the original loom went through as the lower vent is real close to the lower triple clamp on full lock. I will have a look though as it would be ideal now i am going to pods.

damo1
31-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Run it all the way around the frame down to the left hand sideand around the back
of the air box the rewire it into the origanal plugs back up the right hand side
to the length you need to all the switch blocks and stuff.
that way you only have a little of the wiring in that area and the bit you do
have is higher that the pickups for the air box and you can even fit the fuse box
in there as well no dramas.
i ran the switch block wiring down through the top over the frame and in between the
tank right at the front where it bolts on.
That way you can leave the wiring harness complete and just run the bare minimum
that you want back out.
i wouldnt pull the air box out its to confined under the tank youll just be sucking
hot air from under there.