PDA

View Full Version : Tyre pressures for the track

PIZZ
08-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Hi guys how is it going.I have a question regarding tyre pressure for a track day.I am currently running mitchelin pilots front and rear and i was wondering what pressures you guys run in a road going tyre?I have just read in motorcycle news that you should not let your tyres down below manufactures recomended pressures even for a track day.At my last track day i ran mine at 32psi and am not sure if this is the correct thing to do now.Everyone was reducing there pressures for the day so what do you guys think?Thanks for your advice and comments.

TurboKat
08-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Always start with 30 each end cold & drop a psi from front or rear (don't ever adjust F & R together - how will you know which one worked?) each session until it feels right.
I think Deano measured his tyres at the end of a session & they were about 38 psi from memory.

WATEVR
08-03-2008, 03:08 PM
either the last amcn or rapid had a good article regarding sports road tyres and adjusting the pressures for the track and it suggested that lowering them is not ideal and if your riding it hard enough to get them to move around upgrade to more track specific tyres or slicks.

after that, when i ran PP at the track a while ago i think i had them 30 F 32 R!! its all about learning!!

Deano
08-03-2008, 05:10 PM
i am with turbo on this one. the thing is a road tyre don't get to 80 od deg comuting to work so you need to start with a higher number. if you were to start with say 30psi in you road tyre and once the warmers are off and you are 2 laps in to your session your psi will be around the higher number that the recommend for the road. you don;t want your tyre to move around as in sliding. it gets it heat from changing shape and moving as the tyre has different loads applied to it

30 psi front and rear and unless you are blistering quick and a verterian at ride days (and i assume you are not based on the question you asked)you will be fine. there will be more speed gained by rider input rather than 1 or 2 psi in a tyre.

Matt
09-03-2008, 08:23 AM
I start with 29 front and 30 rear cold. and as the track heats up usually drop one or two out of the front.

If you start with 30 in both you should be somewhere close. Just have a play with them and see what difference it makes. You will be amazed what you can feel!

Booster
09-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Best description i heard was the 5 psi rule, if your pressures are right the tire will increase in pressure 5 psi from cold to hot , too much initial pressure and the tire doesn't heat up enough, low pressure rise , too little and it increases pressure lots as it overheats.