PDA

View Full Version : Valve guide seals

sharky
08-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Are Viton seals any good ? or should I stick with genuine ?

alfiestorm
08-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Genuine unless you want to be replacing them again in month or two :)

I only use genuine gaskets and seals that are fitted in the guts of an engine.
Imagine what a cunt it would be if your newly fitted non genuine gasket/seal gave up after only a couple of months and sometimes hours then you have to strip the engine again.

The only time I use non-genuine gaskets is on any of the outer engine covers if genuine are not available in the time needed except the rocker cover and sump they absolutely have to be genuine and if fitting a bigbore then I use the trusted cometic series of gaskets.

The choice is yours but I would not use anything but genuine vg seals.

stu

Jockney Rebel
08-03-2008, 12:07 PM
i use viton seals in high temp applications at work[the hyd.cylinders on heating coils for a company that makes kitchen tops] but ive never used em in a bike engine .i do know there good for about 400-600C and pressures up to 450 bar
but like alfie says ur probably better off sticking with oem stuff

Jockney Rebel
08-03-2008, 12:08 PM
btw alfie the postie hasnt been down my way lately ..hint hint

alfiestorm
08-03-2008, 12:37 PM
he will I was just a lazy drunk git and forgot to post the <s>drugs</s> stuff to you. Posted two days ago old chap

Jockney Rebel
08-03-2008, 03:48 PM
cheers alf yer a diamond ,got a new ute comin from work need to tart it up a bit:Dand i need to graffittize the missus new car

Jockney Rebel
08-03-2008, 03:52 PM
sorry for the hi-jack russ ..ive had a word with my esteemed collegue at work and he s not sure how they would perform in that application he reckons they should be ok tho as the temp and pressure wont bother them..
ill see if i can find out if any of the chemicals its likely to come in contact with would degrade it any faster than the normal ones..i doubt it tho

Deano
08-03-2008, 05:14 PM
i just used non genuine ones on my track bike. they are exactly the same as the genuine ones that came out and half the price aswell.

don't bother with viton mate. if it was needed then they would be viton from the factory