PDA

View Full Version : Modifying / creating custom Fairings & Body panels

descendingfear
06-03-2008, 07:03 AM
Just wondering the best way to go about modifying the front tank fairing on my 06R1 to look something like slamdogs sick! R1.

Is their any way to modify an existing fairing with fibreglass?

And a how to. in the how to section on fibreglassing would be sweet.

Gix11 has told me it would be easier to create my own mould out of the already existing fairing and create a whole new fairing.

Seifer
06-03-2008, 07:36 AM
If you dont wnat ur tank getting and smaller (ie add to the shape) then the second best advice is to buy a second tank fairing for yourself to play with. Sand it back and start playing around with fibreglass. Search google a bit for how to fibreglass, your going to want to make yourself a mould so glue bits of foam to the tank and shape it to how you like, then go from there.

Gix11
06-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Plastic and fibreglass don't bond mate, well they do, but as soon as you go out and get some engine/road vibration they will crack apart, hence why I mentioned to do the whole piece as one from fibreglass. Using an exisitng fairing as a mould (a scratched up one will be fine from the wreckers) you can work with HD foam to create the extra parts and add that to the fairing then fibreglass the whole thing in one piece. Shayno might do us a fibreglass "HOW TO" if we ask him nicely? As for the foam, I might be able to show you that and Ben will have to finish off how it is sealed etc as I took so long creating the foam that i didn't want to fuck it up and Ben is finishing it.

descendingfear
06-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks guys that realy helps. Now all i have to do is find one at a wreckers and then get some of this hd foam.

Cruisecontrol
06-03-2008, 09:42 AM
I made my own tail. I just used regular foam and then covered it with tape so the resin didn't eat it.
Worked like a charm...

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6240

descendingfear
06-03-2008, 09:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by Cruisecontrol

I made my own tail. I just used regular foam and then covered it with tape so the resin didn't eat it.
Worked like a charm...

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6240

That is soo sweet. Was it very hard to modify your subframe? And after you have modified the subframe how hard is it to attach the new tail?

Cruisecontrol
06-03-2008, 10:01 AM
I just cut off what I didn't want with a grinder and since I mounted the seat straight to the subframe the tail piece is simply for looks so it is only held on with four screws.

descendingfear
06-03-2008, 10:07 AM
How long do you think it took you to fibreglass you tail from start to finish? And what type of fibreglass did you use?

Cruisecontrol
06-03-2008, 10:18 AM
The glassing only took about 20 minutes. I just used chopped strand mat and regular resin, all stuff that can be bought at a hardware or auto store.

The mould took a few hours to get right, but all up including the finishing it took about 7-8 hours.

descendingfear
06-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Very nice work. When i start my project would it be cool to email you for tips?

Cruisecontrol
06-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Of course. :D

The crow
06-03-2008, 04:02 PM
fibreglass is easy once you get the hang of it start off on something small dont be affraid to use a little extra it can always be sanded and for those ive seen into sidecars ive helped the oldman build a chair out of glass in the past what a job that was [:p] and the guys are right the stuff from you local auto shop will do, dont go out and waste your money on the marine stuff all it does is cost you more money, thats from being conned when couldn't contact the oldman

ozkat
06-03-2008, 05:06 PM
As Simon said you cant lay fibreglass on ABS plastics. The reason being is that plastic and fibreglass vibrate at different frequencies and will delaminate. It may take a while but it will happen. If you want any info about laminating fibreglass and your at the AFR just ask im more than happy to help. The 2 big things to remember are everything must be spotlessly clean and 2.5% catalyst is the absolute max to use. Ill do a "How to" after the AFR.

The Crow, i dont know why you were charged more for the marine grade materials its all the same stuff, there are different types of resin and glass but none are really marine specific. There is a difference in price for certain resins and glass but generally the more you pay the better the materials.

TurboKat
06-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Fibreglassing is a piece of piss, think about it... if Large & Ozkat can do it, how hard could it be?

ozkat
06-03-2008, 05:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by turbokat

Fibreglassing is a piece of piss, think about it... if Large & Ozkat can do it, how hard could it be?
Yeah and i get paid to do it :D

Large
06-03-2008, 08:31 PM
And I did it mostly pissed

Gix11
06-03-2008, 09:06 PM
You do most things mostly pissed.

Large
06-03-2008, 09:17 PM
It brings me down to your level.

I get my inspiration from http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/

descendingfear
07-03-2008, 08:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by ozkat

As Simon said you cant lay fibreglass on ABS plastics. The reason being is that plastic and fibreglass vibrate at different frequencies and will delaminate. It may take a while but it will happen. If you want any info about laminating fibreglass and your at the AFR just ask im more than happy to help. The 2 big things to remember are everything must be spotlessly clean and 2.5% catalyst is the absolute max to use. Ill do a "How to" after the AFR.

The Crow, i dont know why you were charged more for the marine grade materials its all the same stuff, there are different types of resin and glass but none are really marine specific. There is a difference in price for certain resins and glass but generally the more you pay the better the materials.

Laminating Fibre Glass? Sorry i'm a newb to this.

Fish
28-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Any chance of that how to Oz? And can you include taking moulds of existing peices? I need to fibreglass a new front fender. Cheers mate.

Seifer
28-04-2008, 10:51 AM
MOst of it seems pretty easy to me apart from how you would go about making tabs etc to bolt shit down to. Pointers?

Bear
28-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Bunnings Hardware stock fibreglassing kits and seperate elements. Make sure you get a packet of disposable gloves and throw-away brushes too.

You can also use wood as panels or sections with fibreglass, such as thin laminated plywood. The wood makes good stock to drill or pop-rivet into and attach mounts etc. and is a vibration dampener.

It can be fun to use but potentially messy. :D

Seifer
07-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Hey cruise, with your tail, did you make a mould from the foam or glass straight over. If you did the second option, a gel coat go on last or did you just sand back the glass?

Cruisecontrol
07-05-2008, 02:03 PM
I just glassed over the foam after I covered it in 100mph tape to stop it dissolving.
Then I just used a thin layer of body filler over the glass and sanded where needed.

ninjaboy
07-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Cruisecontrol, just realised your bike was in Rapid Magazine. Good stuff!