PDA

View Full Version : jaffaZd's z900 Turbo

JaffaZd
25-07-2006, 05:15 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/672645295259475.JPG

Hi
I have been on the site for the last couple of months and thought it about time i posted up some pics of my z900

Bike has a 636 rear end and a ZXR750 front end
J model head with the older style rocker cover adapted
Autronic SM4 injection
TDO4L Turbo
Frame Gusseted and Braced

Hope you all like

fimpBIKES
25-07-2006, 05:24 PM
who wouldnt like that??

ps- chalky loves u [:X]

JaffaZd
25-07-2006, 05:24 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/672645295249787.JPG

Turbo lives up under the rear here is the pic

Razorback
25-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Wow thats horn!

BOHEMION
25-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Love it! Welcome aboard Jaffa!

03gixxerpilot
25-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Welcome abord mate,

nice work there, any chance or seeing more of the turbo instaliation

Booster
25-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Very tidy,
The only thing that may give away its power adder is the airbox,and that could just be a custom item to match the front and back changes.

Do the handling improvements help get over the old skate, skitter and flex the z9's had when turbo'd?

Rocket
25-07-2006, 06:55 PM
That's magic Jaffa !!
What a way to retain the original style and lines of the bike with all the good bits added on !
Does the colour choice have anything to do with your name ?

What does having the turbo so far away from the cylinder head do to the boost characteristics? Would that give it a bit of lag while the engine pumps up all that pipe?

Man, that is nice !!!

Iceman
25-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Welcome aboard JaffaZd, neat job with the turbo, did you build it yourself?

I see you are a fellow Victorian. If you check out the events page, we are having a get together at Winton raceway on the 11th of August. the more the merrier.

25-07-2006, 07:03 PM
seriously tidy unit there mate,welcome to hell.

dane_ra
25-07-2006, 07:23 PM
WOW! love it mate, very cool...

Cough! hmmph er for a Kawasaki... lol

redman
25-07-2006, 09:10 PM
So Sweet...[^]
thanks for the inspiration to keep going with my 750turbo

pt
25-07-2006, 09:11 PM
THAT is amazing. really tidy unit looks old school while getting all the good gear!

TurboKat
25-07-2006, 09:23 PM
OOOOOHH YEAAHH ! [:p]
Welcome JZ, Sweeeet ride mate, tastefully tough !
Where abouts in Vic you at?

Gix11
25-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Fuck mate! Where have you been hiding? Welcome aboard and I just have to say that is one awesome bike you have there. Anyone who knows me will tell you I love the Z1 shape. Always wanted to do the GSXR11 lump swap model like I saw in England years ago. Best looking bike ever. (well, almost). Het Tony, have you got the photo of the maroon Z I'm on about. Streetfighters mag, about 1993 I'd say.

JaffaZd
25-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Thanks for all the great comments

(03gixxer) yep can grab you some more pics of the Turbo installation, I will be away for the next week so will put them up when i get back

(Booster) the handling is still not up to modern bike standards but it does nothing nasty lets put it that way , i'd say it is 90% of my TL1000s for handling but leaves it for dead for HP in all areas

(Rocket) yep power comes on strong from about 4500rpm and boost builds steady , it is more like NA performance with the turbo mounted back so far, still has a savage hit but nothing unrideable, It is also the heat loss in the system that seems to add to the boost delay after a couple of squirts boost come on quicker.

(Turbokat & Iceman) Been following your post on Winton , i am in Wodonga so not to far from the track at all (50 mins), don't think i will be around for this one but count me in for the next, i will probably rock up on the TLs and still bring the z900 for a few laps for fun. Never done any track work before so it should be interesting.

(Iceman) yep 100% built by myself, including the motor and exhaust system all in a back yard shed

I forgot to add to the top post that the motor is a 1327cc kitted
The Carbies are really dummies that have been gutted and sleeved the butterflys are still in place and the injectors are hidden in the top hats, U can just pick the fuel rail feeding them.
Also running some high lift cams but am not happy with these Camshaft performance is great but they are to noisy on the shimunder buckets , Anyone played with old school 2v motors with camshafts / Turbos who would like to throw some advice my way.

Thanks again for all the comments ,. won't be around for the next week so cya when i get back.

fimpBIKES
26-07-2006, 12:08 AM
is the centre of gravity low on that like the 1100 katana?

i love how the kat sits into a corner and u are right on the ground
really looking forward to putting the modern rolling stock on and getting some diablos [:P]

but i swear i didnt even notice the turbo setup til now
fucking excellent mate!

Tone
26-07-2006, 05:48 AM
That is a very nice bike.And hello.

EXBEN
26-07-2006, 08:49 AM
Nice I like it. Neat trick with the carbs. How do you find the SM4?

evad
26-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Awesome looking Zed mate,love it.
If your looking for some info on cams etc for the turbo post on WWW.kzrider.com there area few turboed zeds on there and a lot of info.
Cheers
Dave

26-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Now there's a real man's bike!!! None of this trimmed down / blinged out modern nancy boy stuff. A really solid, heavy, Old Skool bike with a farkin huge power plant

Very trick Turbo set up mate, no pipe's/tubing or other bullshit hanging out everywhere.........I'm impressed.

PS Needs drag bars mate (just like everything else:D)

Slingblade
26-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Fantastic looking bike mate. Love the old Kwaks.

Large
26-07-2006, 10:53 AM
That's really nice

Always liked the old Stone bikes

Benz
26-07-2006, 11:03 AM
That's fuggen beautiful[:p]
You must have a hell of 'backyard shed'Jaffa. That exhaust looks plenty complex.
Congratulations, that's one of the best Zed mods I've ever seen, and to get a turbo in behind the motor, AND a monoshock rearend.....fuck.... you must be good:D
Welcome, by the way:)

Hoppa
27-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Just lov a Z. If your using cams with more than .450 lift on the road your in for frequent valve spring replacement an generally more wear an tear on the valve train. My z1000r runs andrews 3x cams with .418 lift with good effect. If your using z1000j head try to get your hands on standard gpz1100 cams, they may be more suitable. Cheers Hoppa. That pipe is something else.

JaffaZd
03-08-2006, 10:30 PM
(03gixxerpilot) Here is another pic of the Turbo instalation as you can see room is tight.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/19345198769764.JPG

The Idea behind having the Setup all up under the seat and hidden was so that i could give a modern sports bike a run and put the wind up them and them being none the wiser :D

(fimpBIKES) yep center of gravity is low , the bike weights in at 218kg (wet) approximatley and a fireblade 96 model on the same scales weight was 214kg (wet) so not to porky for an old z9

(Hoppa) Hmm ok the cams in the bike at the moment are a really tight duration nearly standard timming but with 430 to 440 thou lift and bloody noisy as all shithouse on the buckets anything below 3500rpm after this it all seems to quiten up ,.. I have even pulled the shim clearances right down to try and quiten them up ,.. so the GPZ1100 camshafts suit a turbo application quite well, is this the 1984 model 1100 with the injection ?

Thanks for all the welcome guys

RR-711
04-08-2006, 06:26 AM
Im speechless thats ace, would love a 73 74 jaffa Z hard to find now tho, very nice Jaffa, but dont ya get burnt arse after a while LOL love the carby trick too,thuoght the float bowl angle looked a bit sus. Another home built special that should be in the pages of RAPID cheers welcome aboard Jaffa

Hoppa
05-08-2006, 09:35 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/40240672853528.jpg

Hi jaffa, i don't have any experience with Turbo's, the cam i suggested trying is 1983 gpz1100, relativly mild. What valve springs are you running, VSP 500 from APE will suit yours. Have you experienced any problems with oil seeping from the front of the head gasket at the cam chain tunnel, with your MTC block. I run the same block at 1327cc an have had some problems. Great job on the Z, Cheers Hoppa

Rocket
05-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Hoppa, I think it's time you posted some photo's of that ELR.

Hoppa
05-08-2006, 09:57 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/40240672836579.jpgHi Rocket, this project has had its set backs but in the beginning there was a frame, bracing around swing arm an front engine mounts.

Hoppa
05-08-2006, 10:01 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/40240672844682.JPGThan came xjr1200sp front end of grey import,with damp/rebound an preload. Back end is zxr1100 with basic ohlins.

Rocket
05-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Well it's a start. Maybe you could post a new topic with the build photo's so we can all oooh and ahhhh.

Hoppa
05-08-2006, 10:05 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/40240672848195.jpg This xjr had Brembos an big rotors,

Hoppa
05-08-2006, 10:08 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/40240672842685.jpg Sent the disc's of to Electromold an this is the result. COOL.

Hoppa
05-08-2006, 10:12 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/40240672838913.jpg Dont complicate thing for me, this is the ZZZZZ thred. An here's the back brake

BOHEMION
05-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Hoppa that is really awesome mate

Rocket
05-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Magic details too Hoppa. Very very nice.

Hoppa
05-08-2006, 10:25 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/40240672827409.jpg This is the engine first time around, before head gasket leaked around cam chain tunnel. Indexed an weled crank,MTC block running 80mm pistons, ported head with stainles valves an gpz1100b1 cam, dual plug head with dyna coils an dyna 2000 ignition. Kerker pipe that draged its arse all the way up the Gabralter range an has since had the flick. 38mm flatslids that rattel like mad at idle but work a treat otherwise.

Hoppa
05-08-2006, 10:34 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/40240672850445.jpg Engine out an more money, mod's to the head an barrel to fix the head gasket issue, i hope.Fitted deep sump , holds 1.5 lts extra oil an a new pipe with flat collector. Andrews 3X cams , slotted cam sprockets, APE cam chain adjuster, APE valve springs,$$$$$$ an more Electromold, noice.

sickboy
05-08-2006, 10:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by Rocket

Well it's a start. Maybe you could post a new topic with the build photo's so we can all oooh and ahhhh.

I agree ,this deserves its own topic headline, good work Hoppa,lookin good.

Hoppa
05-08-2006, 11:36 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/40240672830585.jpg Now just waitin 4 this to heal, no , just fell over my my own big feet.

sickboy
05-08-2006, 02:52 PM
Shit mate wtf,spose I should be the first to make the silly pun joke ,with a name like yours ............ seriously though get well soon mate, and yeah love your bikes to.

JaffaZd
06-08-2006, 09:09 PM
(EXBEN) was gunna answer this question a couple of post ago and forgot re the SM4.
This is the first time i have played with an Autronic SM4 (played with both Haltechs and Motecs before + wolfs) and it is interesting in it's principal, I am running it in the Multi-Throttle mode with TPS and Baro pressure sensing. On the initial start-up i had a problem with sorting out a miss, which eventually turned out to be a antilag cool down setting, even though i had antilag set to off the cool down still was engaging (my fault). The other thing i have found is that i think i have set up the fuel reg wrong for a multi throttle engine and largish camshafts. The fuel reg is currently running off manifold vacume and this produces a very unlinear fuel map , probably because of the engine having no vacume and then after getting a few rpm on board grabbing a heap of vacume and then going to no vacume again into boost, this puts the fuel pressure all over the place, Probably should of just set it up to read boost only . eg turbo side of the butterfly's, actually i will do this next time i take it back to the dyno as currently only running .5bar of boost and want to turn it up to 1bar.

I wold be interested if you have played with the Autronic in this mode or anybody else for some advice.

Thanks

JaffaZd
06-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Hoppa

YEP I have had the same problem as you, oil just weaping out of the camchain tunnel area ,. it is just enought to be annoying , i have since pulled the head (APE) bolts up a little futher and seems to have done the trick , mine was actually weaping out not at the head but down at the block end.

Hey nice looking 1000R , bet you can't wait for that leg to heal so as you can get out and rip up some bitumen . [8D]
Don't know where any GPZ1100 cams are do you buy chance, would like to give them ago if i can find a set.

Thanks
Jaffa

Hoppa
07-08-2006, 10:31 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/82035330219039.jpgHi Jaffa, pics a little fussie but this what i've done to try an fix the oil seep, the block has just enough room to fit 2 studs at the front an the head has even less room to drill matching holes but achievable. Not proven in the long term but looks good so far. yep i have ape studs pulled down to 40 ft pds. With regard to the noise from the cams at low revs, are you getting sufficent oil feed at low revs. the MTC block should have the oil feed holes checked to see if they have been enlarged to match the over size APE studs.Where did you take the turbo oil feed from, has that impacted on low rpm oil pressure/flow to the head. I don't have gpz1100 cams but i do have z1000j cams an after market cams [brand unknown] ranging from 8.5 to 9.5 lift min overlap. Sorry no tech specs available, no I.D. on cams.Your welcome to try a set if you like, Cheers Hoppa.

JaffaZd
14-08-2006, 01:25 PM
Hi Hoppa

Ahh i see not a bad solution to the oil weeping problem ,.. at present mine seems to be behaving so will leave it. but if it starts again i might have to attempt a similar sloution.
Hmm yes i thought at first it might be poor oil presure at idle to the camshafts so closed the feed to the turbo off to see if it fixed the problem with no luck. You can actually here the oil get up to the camshafts from a cold start and it does quiten down. Running with the camcover off plenty of oil seems to be spashing around so the only thing i can put it down to is the camshaft profiles slapping the buckets around.
Hmm thanks for the offer on trying a set of camshafts but i would have to shrink a camsensor ring on to them, and also want to try and keep the lift up around the 10mm. I have a stock set of Z900 camshafts i was going to throw in to see if this quiten it up also see what happend to power production this will give me a better idea in which direction to head atleast. I imagin it will feel a bit breathless with the 900 ones in but will have to see what happens i could be pleasantly surprised.
Do you have a link or specs on your Andrews camshafts i could have a squiz at.

Thanks

alfiestorm
16-08-2006, 12:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by JaffaZd

Hi Hoppa

Ahh i see not a bad solution to the oil weeping problem ,.. at present mine seems to be behaving so will leave it. but if it starts again i might have to attempt a similar sloution.

Just a quick note on the oil weeping between the head and cylinders at the front on the zd's this is usually because of the rectangle shaped O ring that sits around the cam chain tunnel in it's groove. It leaks at the front on tuned engines or engines that are used hard. The cure is before the head is put back on throw away the rectangle O ring and use a silicone gasket the stuff you get in tubes make sure it is of a high heat rating and fill the channel that the rectangle O ring sits in with the silicone gasket so it is Just proud of the channel and flush with the gasket in it's uncompressed state and let set for half an hour then put the head back on.
This does work as i have used it on turbo engines and nitrous also on standard street bikes with no oil weeping. Debben performance here in the uk also use the same method on there drag and race bikes. :)

Ed74mnd
16-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Hi Jaffa,

real nice set up there.
im hoping to go down a similar path with my Suzuki GSX.

is the TD04L a ball bearing turbo? oil cooled only?

also how is the heat build up around the turbo?

love the stealth installation... very nice.

Cheers

Ed

JaffaZd
17-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Hi Ed
GSX hey! My first memory of a GSX was at the age of about 11 - 12, my old man putting me on the back, taking me to school at warp ten , on the back wheel several times. Pulled up at the school and it had scared the shit out of me, tears pooring down my face. Fond memory's them :D

Turbo is a Roller and is also water cooled, as you have probably gathered NO WATER . Not sure how this will effect the Turbo as it doesn't seem to get awfully hot. The only real hot point is on the exhaust where the heel of your right foot sometime rest's against the pipe. Other than that the heat difference is minimal.
I have had it up in the hills a few times and the heat seems to creep in a bit more in this situation. I plan on trying to take it to Winton the next time the ASF guys go to see how it all preforms and this will show up any heat related problems.
But bottom line is heat back through the seat you don't notice, seat does have a 10-15mm air gap double panel.

Would be keen to see progress on the GSX as it happens

Thanks
Jaffa

Ed74mnd
17-08-2006, 01:53 PM
thanks heaps for that info Jaffa,

TD04L 13T (or is it G?) or 16?

the GSX I reckon still has some get up and go, not compared to a modern sports bike but the vague feeling it has at any speed makes you feel alive.

as im sure you're well aware of on your Z. lol

my bike has its thread here.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2134

currently ive got the swinger with Exben to weld a tag on it, going to run 38 CV carbs and K&N pods while i collect all the bits and associated knowledge to do the turbo thing. have even looked into making up a megasquirt EFI set up using GPZ1100 throttle bodies (if i can find them).

the suspension and brakes (GSXR) are all sorted now.

like you i'm going to fab up most of it myself to keep a lid on costs.. and I'm hoping to have a stealthy instal too!

fun , fun.. this was supposed to be my easy project.. lol

Cheers

Ed

JaffaZd
17-08-2006, 09:13 PM
No Prob for the info Ed

TD04L-13T is the Turbo

It's its second turbo, had a Garret ct20 (plain bearing) before the TD04L.

Have you decided on a turbo for the GSX yet. Turbo will liven the old girl up to surprise a few of the modern bikes. ;)

Just had a squiz at your GSX old school weapon, great stuff. [:p]

Jaffa

evad
26-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Hey JAffa, what sort of rpms does the turbo start making noticeable boost at and what PSI are you runnng? How dificult is it to tune the autronic ecu? Havae you had her on a dyne? Im pretty supprised that I never noticed this post earlier as the pld zeds and fuel injection are what im keen on
Ed I have GPZ1100 hardware and a megasquirt on my 650 lol.
There is a guy on hte msefi site that has a gsx on MS and now he has just fitted a turbo. He is using the kawa tbs etc.

/:D:D

shift1313
27-12-2006, 01:10 AM
That bike is amazing jaffa! super clean and super stealth. (evad he said he was running .5bar somewhere in the post, thats about 7psi). On that note id becareful turning that thing up to 1bar without any sort of intercooler or alky injection setup. especially on an aircooled setup where heat soak might happen very quickly. I had the same oil leak problem on my gpz at the front and rear of the head. pulled it, decked it and put it back on still leaked. changed the vesrah gasket for an oem kaw gasket and it fixed the problem. big price difference though. On a cam note. I think you shouldnt be too concerned with the lift of your cam, but more about duration, and degreeing it to leave some overlap to shift your torque curve down lower. It will drop your lag a good bit and you might start getting noticable boost at like 2500-3000rpm. I know that the 750turbo, 750 and 1100 cams all arent very well suited to the turbo. I love the bike and cant wait to see what it pulls on the dyno. id be sure you need a new rear tire when you go cause its going to ruin the one you have on there.

Booster
27-12-2006, 06:50 AM
They chew tires if not strapped down hard enough, cost me an engine once , dyno at various settings up to 15psi(pressure reg raising boost levels) wavy line on the hp & torque above 12psi but get the hp expected , next thing in use its making 20 psi only 1 bar sensor and only mapped to 1 bar and destroyed the cyls and several pistons in first hard use.
Lesson use ratcheting tie downs , several if possable and tie it hard, run max rated tire pressure and don't use super sticky tires.

I use a datalogger more than a dyno now.

evad
27-12-2006, 09:20 AM
booster what does your datalogger read? Do you have a wb o2 sensor?
Is it part of the ECU software?

JaffaZd
28-12-2006, 08:02 AM
quote: Hey JAffa, what sort of rpms does the turbo start making noticeable boost at and what PSI

Hi Evad, It's starts making boost 0.1Bar at 3700rpm and has full boost by around the 4500rpm 0.5Bar, i havn't turned the boost up yet.

quote:How dificult is it to tune the autronic
Ahh the Autrnoic took awhile to get my head around exactly how it worked and all the options available, once my head was in the correct place the tunning is relativley easy.

quote:I love the bike and cant wait to see what it pulls on the dyno
Yep had the bike on a Dyno dynamics dyno and at first i was slightly dissapointed with the results 130 RearWHP at 8600 Rpm running 0.5bar
The guy then told me a 1000GSXR 2006 model gets 128rwhp on the same dyno.
He has a conversion figure to get it to a DynoJet figure which is the most common Bike Dyno and the magazie's use.
For comparision the figure would of been 165RWHP

After all that i had a sneaky suspision that maybe he was reading KW instead of HP and didn't want to admit it.

quote:I use a datalogger more than a dyno now
Booster, I have just started playing around with Dataloging on the road with a wide band sensor, have found it very usefull for getting all those point that a dyno can't make . eg trundling down a step hill with small throttle openings.

Unfortunatley i didn't get to far into the Dattaloging situation as i have had a small problem with oiling plugs from day one ,.. sometime it would go for a week with out the problem and it would do it only under a closed throttle loading. So i decided to pull it down for inspection presuming i had boke an oil ring or a valve guide/seal was rooted or somthing. Bottom line was that the bores had been bored to large one was out of round by 2thou and the others over size by 2-5thou with walls not parralell by about 1thou. This is my fault as i should of checked what the bloody machine shop had done before putting it together, it didn't even twig on me to check the professionals work.

So i am currently waiting for a new set of oversize piston to turn up.

ozkat
28-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Great looking bike Jaffa. With the long distance of the header pipes and pipe to the turbo do you think it affects performance at all. The reason i ask is im thinking of doing a similar setup on my dragbike but mine will be draw through.

JaffaZd
29-12-2006, 08:16 AM
quote:long distance of the header pipes and pipe to the turbo do you think it affects performance at all

ozkat
I can tell you what i have found out from my own experience, I want to make this a lengthy reply [:I] so you know the trap falls that may affect you for the drags.

I have done this setup first on a car before the bike and both applications only suffer from 1-2 problem's the frist time you open the throttle the whole system is slightly laggy due to the cool pipes , once the heat gets into the system they are fine.

Hmm ok a better example on the bike

If you are just crusing around town, and haven't boosted for 5mins or so the first time you open the throttle you will notice it takes 2.0-2.5secs (roughly) for boost to happen, it is quite noticeble the time. I must point out that once you have the heat in the pipes it takes 0.5sec roughly for boost.
If you are cruising out the road at 4000rpm onboard for 5mins and crack the throttle boost is instant even if it hasn't boosted before. heat must be in the system from the rev's onboard. If the 5min time is reduced to say 15-20secs you notice the lag problem again even if you up rev to 6000rpm.

I can only put it down to the length of stainless pipework cooling the charger/ taking heat energy before the turbo.
It was noticably worse with the bigger exhaust housing on the earlier turbo setup.

Don't get me wrong it takes really no effort to get the heat into the system and also it retains it quite well.

ok the last thing i have noticed it that the turbo hit is quite lineal in the power delivery. compared to one mounted up close to the head exaust ports. I put this down to the length of pipe work/area the exhaust gas has to compress itself and heat loss. The soft delivery is a plus on the bike for street use but not so sure for a drag application.

I know for sure it is from the turbo distance to length/area of pipework due to the Car.
I had a Garrett GT35R (700hp)Turbo, mounted up close to head and power delivery was savage.
Moving the turbo down the rear a good 2.5m length of pipework, power delivery was spread over 1500rpm instead of the savage 500rpm.
On a side note as well power at same boost level went from the upclose set up 285rwkw to 305rkwk :D rear mounted and heat out of the engine bay was the biggest gain.

So i think for Drags the lag / heat problem could be solved by an anti-lag arrangement and some thermal coatings on the pipes.
The softer power delivery, well maybe the antilag set up will solve this if you can leave the line with the whole system already under pressure.

Hope this helps , let me know what you think.

Madmaxx
28-04-2008, 12:33 PM
A guy on a different site posted a link to this bike....
HOLY HELL!!!!
What a beautiful bike!!!!

xb9r
28-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Nice Zed sled mate bloody awesome

Jockney Rebel
28-04-2008, 08:53 PM
very nice zed ......luv it mate ,,ull go down well here

EFE 1230
01-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Bumpski.........