PDA

View Full Version : Some advice on can mounting checkthis out

TheBogyman
05-03-2008, 05:28 AM
i need some advice on where to mount this can, i had it below the frame, {check out post in my ride section "pimp my bandit" for a pic) but had real clearance issues, i got me hands on a 2" 20deg bend, so have 2 options, either under the frame, but managing too clear the braced swinger, (still got slight ground clearance issues tho but can live with them) or the option of mounting it just below the rearset,some opinions please guys,,,,

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/71655268499400.jpg

TheBogyman
05-03-2008, 05:36 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/716552684109517.jpg

Heres the second option,,,

hooligan
05-03-2008, 08:12 AM
What about the third option, like the second one, but back a bit further, and angled up alongside the wheel (finishing under the back edge of the seat)?

fimpBIKES
05-03-2008, 08:23 AM
you'll still scrape that second option

best way to do an under-bike setup is like on Bens Venom
custom shaped box
your likely to scrape anything else

if you want a lean-angle friendly setup either do what i did on the tiller or check out the motoGP style cans ;)

Jay_G
05-03-2008, 10:51 AM
i personally would that can up alongside of the wheel at the same angle as the seat and the frame tube at a 45 angle. or get a oval shaped can and cut it down and slip it under the bike for a bit more clearance.

Gix11
05-03-2008, 11:54 AM
I agree with Jay G. You either need to go right under with an oval can, or run it futher back following a line of the bike, your would be the subframe rail and seat unit. If you keep it low and flat like the second photo the whole bike looks very long and low which contradicts the tail line and ruins the effect as far as I'm concerned. That's my opinion anyway mate. Bugger hey?

TheBogyman
05-03-2008, 08:22 PM
the more i look at this the more pissed i get, keep the sujestions coming, and any pics would be a big help, i am going to take another look at her today, just thought if i could mount a can just in behind the rear shock at the same angle of the seat, what it would look like, but need to check out space,,,so keep it live guys,,,

zedsled
05-03-2008, 09:53 PM
I run my can where you have it in the first pic, given me no end of tuning problems

ninjaboy
05-03-2008, 10:19 PM
quote: I run my can where you have it in the first pic, given me no end of tuning problems
Does anyone else have this problem, cause i'm am just about to do this to my bike?

TheBogyman
06-03-2008, 01:29 AM
looks like i've opened up a real peach here,,,had aother look, and i recon i can loose the 115mm dia scropian can, and if i can get my hands on something around the 90mm i can run it below the frame and have little or no issues,,,so guys, get the tepes out, and let me know what make of a can has the smallest diameter, now this would be a real help,,,,

TheBogyman
06-03-2008, 01:31 AM
zedled, i am in the same tuning boat as you mate, its for the rolling road next week, so need the can sorted by then, its reving like a total dungbag,,,,so yea it does seem to give tuning problems,,

fimpBIKES
06-03-2008, 08:39 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/925556358118506.jpg

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/925556358122357.jpg

i had the buell can on the fimpKAT mounted down low like this
it has pretty average tyres on it, so when i was in the hills i would be hanging off it a lot morso than leaning

dont remember it scraping...

best thing to do with anything u think might scrape is to get a big flat bit of sheet metal or wood and wedge it on the tyres then bring it up and see what hits first (preferably the footpegs or crash knobs)

there are a few places around making custom cans, i think Foran do them (there was a thing about them doing some in the latest Rapid for Jeffs project)
they seem to have a pretty small diameter

for the tuning i would just whack the can on (not like you have to worry about clearance on a dyno)
its a straight-thru one anyway isnt it, i imagine most straight-thrus would have similar backpressures anyhoo

love the bandit BTW

Jay_G
06-03-2008, 09:57 AM
or go slash cut, ala Harley Ferguson :D would sound good up in the revs

latheboy
06-03-2008, 11:18 AM
for the tuning i would just whack the can on (not like you have to worry about clearance on a dyno)
its a straight-thru one anyway isnt it, i imagine most straight-thrus would have similar backpressures anyhoo

DO NOT DO THIS..... If you are going to get something tuned you need to have it as you will ride it .. i was messing around with my exhaust and cut a 100mm out of the lenght then made a new end for the can to choke it down so i could try and keep the back pressure... I failed and it was so lean if i had kept riding it i would have nuked the motor.

fimpBIKES
06-03-2008, 12:17 PM
how would adding more backpressure then when it was tuned make it lean out?

TheBogyman
06-03-2008, 05:37 PM
o boy, round and round we go,,,:o) still anit got it sorted, but i am looking at a cutom made can, so need to get a price back from the guys who can do it, recon i could get away with an underframe can 300mm long(including spout and mounting link pipe) and a diameter of 90mm max, this should'nt be a problem to someone with the right tools to do it,,,what think ye?? as for the tuning its for the dyno and a jetting session anyways, i know the guy who does the jetting, and he's pretty dammed good,

Gix11
06-03-2008, 09:11 PM
If 90mm gives you enough clearance for you to be happy with then that sounds like your answer mate. As long as it's tuned post fit then you should be sweet.

07-03-2008, 05:10 PM
some old "Megacycle" zorst's have 90mm cans.But i'd be runnin a dogleg bend for a collector so your pipe ends up runnin parralel with the square edge of your swinger like fimps 'ol bitch.
shorty cans look the dogs,but really dont do any favours for HP.The manufacturers didnt make em that lenghth coz they look good.The more the shit flows,the more ya need to feed the monster.
otherwise below the rear set on about 55 degree angle to suit the tyre shape would look tidy.
btw...nice ride punter.

Bear
07-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Never mind the can, what frame is that? = cool! :)

TheBogyman
08-03-2008, 04:25 PM
right guys, hopefully sorted, or at least soon too be, contacted a crowd in the uk, who make custom cans, it going too be 86mm diameter can 300mm long, so that should be well tidy, all's left to do is get it fitted on wedensday when it arrives, and then get her on the rolling road, and a dyno run, strip off the panels and get her painted,,,ready for the first outing hopefully easter,,, Bear asked about the frame, check out the post in the "my ride" section and look for pimp my bandit, you'll get all the info there mate,,,cheers, ill post a pic when i get the can fitted,,,thakns for the replys,,

Gix11
10-03-2008, 05:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bear

Never mind the can, what frame is that? = cool! :)

That just a standard late model Bandit frame mate with some mods to the subby:

http://www.suzuki-bikes.com/images/bandit1200.jpg