PDA

View Full Version : 06R1 Gauges

descendingfear
03-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Just wondering if you buy aftermarket gauges for an 06R1 do you have to replace anything else?

zx12argh
03-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Depends on the aftermarket gauges mate. decent ones such as the acewell come with idiot lights and the lot. contact ben at www.extremecreations.com.au for a set of those. I have them and recommend them. if budget is an issue get a set off a push bike - the magnet and read switch arrangement are good for speeds up to 300kmph - with a wiring diagram and an led kit from Jaycar you can build your own. I pulled the gauges from my 12r and fitted an acewell no problems.

you can also go to stu at www.ausfr.com.au for a set - i've got a set of the motodash mini lights i'm integrating into a top yoke - they are tiny - about the size of my pinkie finger.

descendingfear
04-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Yeah i was more interested in the actual wiring of the aftermarket gauges.

Like will it just plug and play?
Will i need a PC3 to get a correct reading?

I'm pluging it into a 06R1.

zx12argh
04-03-2008, 12:25 PM
PC3 is a engine managment supplement - your gauges aren't affected by it. A gauge kit will have its own wiring diagram so you'll need one for you R1 so you can splice into the oil signal indicators etc to install the idiot lights. The speed is typically read by installing a magnetic read switch on either the front or rear wheel. The tacho is taken by sensor of one of your spark plug leads or other such wizardry. The kit has everything you need if you get it from quickdraw (ausfr) or exben (extremecreations).

Do a search on acewell on this site and you'll find wiring diagrams and all sorts.

descendingfear
05-03-2008, 07:26 AM
So how hard are they to install if never done before? "installing a magnetic read switch" doesn't sound that easy. I just don't want to go out and buy something and then go and fuck it up installing it.

EXBEN
05-03-2008, 10:42 AM
The Acewell ACE3963 will read a factory R1 speed sensor, so the rest just wires up the standard dash wiring bar the temp sensor ( that comes with the dash) which will need to be fitted into the cooling system somewhere.
I can tell you which wires need to go where if need be & help sort the sensor mounting.

descendingfear
06-03-2008, 07:05 AM
Its just that i'm pretty sure i'll be changing my gearing which will put my speedo out by a fair bit. So i think the gauges is the way to go.

Seifer
06-03-2008, 07:33 AM
Don't R1's have their sensors on the wheels? How will changing your gearing affect that?

EXBEN
06-03-2008, 07:53 AM
The R1 speed sensor is on the gearbox, & the acewell parameters are
programable to allow for gearing changes.

descendingfear
06-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Yeah but how easy is it to program. Is it just a flick of a switch?

zx12argh
06-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Hard to say whats easy and isn't easy for some - if you can cut and solder and read a wiring diagram then you'll have a basic Acewell installed in about 2 hours tops. If you aren't experienced with wiring then it will take longer - but its not impossible. Just take your time, measure twice cut once etc - I'm pretty certain the programing on the other acewell systems is easy. Mine all I had to do is enter the wheel diameter into the gauge to calibrate the speedo. The others would be along the same line I'm sure.

EXBEN
06-03-2008, 07:13 PM
quote:descendingfear Posted - 06 Mar 2008 : 11:08:10
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah but how easy is it to program. Is it just a flick of a switch?
There not hard to set up, & they come with instructions. Then if your still stuck you can call me & I'll go through it with you over the phone. Can't get easier than that.
If your still worried then I would suggest getting me to fit it & set it up for you.

descendingfear
10-03-2008, 01:25 PM
I think one with the magnetic sensor should be easier to install and less chance of me fucking it up. Which tach would you recomend for that Ben?