PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Coils

Seifer
02-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Hey fighters, finally got the bike running sweet then cylinders 2&3 drop dead. Assuming its the coil so how do I test it to see if she still has life? Ohmeter? Secondly if it is dead, what other bikes coil will swap easily when I go to the wreckers tommorrow. Its a GSXR 1100 Slingy.

alfiestorm
02-03-2008, 10:33 PM
assuming all connections and wiring is ok swap the coils over first if it is still not working on 2/3 then it will be the probably be the cdi unit but check plugs as well as I have had two plugs go down at the same time.

gsxr coils off of any eleven will work and the 750's will too but they are rated at a lower out put voltage then the elevens

evilkarl
03-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Yea man, just do a spark test too. check that your getting a good spark. If the spark is weak or dead then 90% chance its your coils unless you have wiring onto the coils incorrect.

I just inquired about Dyna Ignition in another thread in this forum, If the budget permits, the dyna coils are sweet.

Tone
03-03-2008, 07:16 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8658&SearchTerms=coil

This may help Scott,as posted I tried lots to find nothing but bike ran great after air filter clean and checking and cleaning of electrical connections.

Seifer
03-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the link, I read over it yesterday. I think it must be dodgt connections. Every time I take the tank off etc to test the coils/spark all is fine, it did eventually start to produce a weak and then no spark. Then everytime when I'm about to run it number 2&3 produce no spark. Measured 3.2 ohms accross primaries so i can only assume that the coil is fine. I'm right in thinking that if 2&3 is dead its more likely to be electrical rather than fuel. connection at the cdi seems a bit dodgy.
Does anyone in SYdney have a CDI I can swap over temporarily to rule that out?

Seifer
03-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Can coils die and then come back to life temporarily?

Danger750
11-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Dude if ya coils are buggered just lash out and get some Dynacoils and some whizbang sparkplugs. Saves farting around at wreckers, are cheaper than new Suzi coils, and the difference they make to power delivery and performance. WOOHOO!!

Seifer
11-03-2008, 08:46 PM
What do they cost ie coils, plugs and leads?