PDA

View Full Version : Busa fork oil. How much?

Nudie
09-07-2016, 02:36 PM
I've got a leaky fork leg, so I picked up new seals and oil. But now I don't know how much oil to put in each leg.
I found a manual online but it says I have to pull the spring out of the cartridge and add the oil. But I don't want to bother pulling it all apart if I don't have to. So can anyone tell me how much each leg takes, or do I gotta follow the rules?
I haven't disassembled the other, non leaky, fork yet. Is it possible to just unscrew the top cap and measure down to the oil level then make the other the same? Or would it be better to drain this leg and measure the amount of oil that comes out?

BOBBY
10-07-2016, 12:56 AM
Do you want me to come and help you hahaha!
I reckon we could figure it out.

Nudie
10-07-2016, 09:02 AM
Hey Bobby I've been meaning to ring you. How'd you go with your spaghetti problem?

StuNVA
10-07-2016, 09:32 PM
I haven't disassembled the other, non leaky, fork yet. Is it possible to just unscrew the top cap and measure down to the oil level then make the other the same?

I've done this before and it seemed to work ok to get a oil level measurement but I had to take it off the bike to measure it properly.

BOBBY
11-07-2016, 08:13 AM
Hey Russ, looks exactly the way it did last time you seen it.
I'm scared I'll burn the cu&t if I look at it again.
When tax comes back it's off to a shop to get fixed.

If you need a hand with the forks let me know. I got nfi so I'll just bring the measuring cups.

Nudie
11-07-2016, 08:32 PM
I've done this before and it seemed to work ok to get a oil level measurement but I had to take it off the bike to measure it properly.

[/COLOR]

I read somewhere that it takes 480ml. So i've drained them and used a syringe to put the oil in without having to disassemble the whole thing. I hope it works!

Nudie
11-07-2016, 08:34 PM
Hey Russ, looks exactly the way it did last time you seen it.
I'm scared I'll burn the cu&t if I look at it again.
When tax comes back it's off to a shop to get fixed.

If you need a hand with the forks let me know. I got nfi so I'll just bring the measuring cups.

I feel bad that I couldn't help. Lets hope you get it back on the road soon.

PS When you do, we'll have to ride to a pub so I can shout you a froffy

BOBBY
12-07-2016, 09:45 AM
Don't feel bad shags, I reckon it'd fuck the head of the best sparky.
I have a goal of nfr in mind. Hopefully I can make that.

Nudie
14-07-2016, 07:53 AM
Don't feel bad shags, I reckon it'd fuck the head of the best sparky.
I have a goal of nfr in mind. Hopefully I can make that.

Hopefully there is a NFR this year!

Got the oil in and bike back together. Put a few kms on it and everything seems OK. I need to spend a bit of time sorting the suspension settings. It's as rough as shit. Just too stiff, front and rear. But I'm comparing it to my R1200GS, so that's probably not fair to the Uglybus!

Gix11
14-07-2016, 01:29 PM
You may find that even with the rebound and damping fully adjusted you won't get the full travel of the forks. That's when it's time to start looking here: http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Suzuki/GSX1300R Hayabusa/1999-2007

Nudie
14-07-2016, 08:17 PM
I dont do track days or anything serious on it. I did at one stage think about getting Terry Haye(?) to do the Racetech thing to them, but I'd only fuck them up landing heavy wheelies or something else stupid.
Like I said, comparing the ride to my Beemer isn't very realistic. But it's still a bit of stupid fun to ride as is!

Gix11
15-07-2016, 01:54 PM
Just out of curiosity, are you getting full travel? Can you see the mark or have you done the cable tie trick? (front only obviously).

Nudie
15-07-2016, 06:19 PM
No idea. Ill have to have a ride tomorrow and have a look.

StuNVA
18-07-2016, 08:13 PM
If you put too much oil in it can be hard as fuck, just sucking 10mm or 15mm or so out can make a difference.

Shadowzone
27-07-2016, 06:14 PM
Hopefully there is a NFR this year!

Got the oil in and bike back together. Put a few kms on it and everything seems OK. I need to spend a bit of time sorting the suspension settings. It's as rough as shit. Just too stiff, front and rear. But I'm comparing it to my R1200GS, so that's probably not fair to the Uglybus!

What weight oil did you use? Apparently the heavier it is the stiffer the ride.