PDA

View Full Version : Advice on fitting Bar end mirrors

dinstah
14-04-2016, 10:34 PM
Hi Gents,

Sorry for all the Noob questions lol.

Learning everything as i go.

I bought some bar end mirrors from ebay with the expanding collet screws for my 7/8 ABM handle bars but unfortunately they are too big for the hole.

My bar ends don't have any thread in them for screws to mount on to.

Can anyone please suggest any other methods i can mount bar ends on my handle bars?

I was thinking that the only way to do it would be the helicoil screws? but i'm trying to avoid drilling more holes into my handle bars if possible.

Thanks guys !

Hillsy
14-04-2016, 11:13 PM
Yeah those clamps are designed for steel bars not alloy.

You might be able to replace the sleeve (in your last photo) with some appropriately sized rubber / fuel hose and squeeze it down with the bolt to clamp it on?

dinstah
14-04-2016, 11:21 PM
Yeah those clamps are designed for steel bars not alloy.

You might be able to replace the sleeve (in your last photo) with some appropriately sized rubber / fuel hose and squeeze it down with the bolt to clamp it on?

thanks for getting back to me bro.

had no idea there was a difference between allow and steel bars interms of sizing.

none of the sleeves fit my handle bar. might have to get some arrow mirrors on the bar then lol

Gix11
15-04-2016, 08:41 AM
Tought call without seeing them in person. If you were to drill out the ends oif the bars, how much meat would be left in them? i.e. how much bigger than the hole is the collet?

Alternatively, Hillsy's idea is good. Just a flap of rubber or hose or whatever rolled up and shoved in, then screw the mirror thread into that and whe it reaches the end it will pucker up and become collet-like.

dinstah
15-04-2016, 10:01 AM
[QUOTE=Gix11;418972]Tought call without seeing them in person. If you were to drill out the ends oif the bars, how much meat would be left in them? i.e. how much bigger than the hole is the collet?

Alternatively, Hillsy's idea is good. Just a flap of rubber or hose or whatever rolled up and shoved in, then screw the mirror thread into that and whe it reaches the end it will pucker up

thanks for the wise words gents !

i think there will be plenty of tread left i shave off another 1mm.

i think maybe 4-5 mm left

i can't picture that fuel hose method in my head lol. does anyone have any photos ?

thanks again guys

K6Thou
15-04-2016, 12:15 PM
Can you tap a tread into the bars and drill the mirrors to suit ?

xa-mont
15-04-2016, 09:45 PM
man they are some thick as fuck bars!

I've never had a problem with the expanding collet setups in my ally bars, but none have been that thick. Personally i'd go with tapping the end of the bars and drilling out the bar ends to suit.

dinstah
15-04-2016, 09:52 PM
man they are some thick as fuck bars!

I've never had a problem with the expanding collet setups in my ally bars, but none have been that thick. Personally i'd go with tapping the end of the bars and drilling out the bar ends to suit.

thanks for the advice brother ! loll thought these bars were normal

i guess i'll drill the hole slightly bigger. thanks for guidance brother !