PDA

View Full Version : Glen Pantlin 06 Honda hornet air box question

Glen Pantlin
20-01-2016, 12:48 AM
Hi folks
I've had my hornet 900 since new done the usual mods new bars a pair of yoshi cans and a power commander now I've seen something I like the look of on the confederate hellcat bike out of the states . The combat version is running twin airpod intakes on the outside of the bike(both sides). Now my question is do any of you know if removing my airbox and running this type of set up is possible or not?
Thanks in advance of any advice.

Gix11
20-01-2016, 09:48 AM
Hey Glen, welcome aboard mate.
I'm guessing you are on about this yea?

First problem you would have is that you won't be running them outside the bike like this as your inline 4 would need some serious work on both sides. Secondly, and porbably most importantly, if you replaced your airbox with pods, the whole fueling system would be changed due to you giving the mixture a different amount of air. This can be a headache to say the least and will cost you some serious tuning time. On top of that, modern bikes run much better with airboxes anyway (more controlled / less erratic). On top of that, past experience has proven dual pods run better than singles. It's a whole can of worms mate!

I personally would say don't even think about it. But if you were dead keen to get that look, you could simply fabricate a fake version of these that could sit there looking pretty but not ruin the bike. Much like Triumph did with their fuel injected bikes making them look like old Carbie bikes.

Glen Pantlin
20-01-2016, 06:51 PM
Thanks Gix11 yeah that's the bike thanks for the input I was worried the fuel injection might not like it very much as for just bolting it on the side nah not my style to fake it.

Tony Nitrous
23-01-2016, 03:46 PM
Modern bikes run really well with their air box's.
Long gone are the days of junking the restrictive air box.
Huge R&D on still air chambers and flow.

I used to put filters on everything, CB750, 1100 Kat, Z1000 etc.
Now none of my bikes run them.
I have a brand new set that came with a bike and years later they still sit on the bench unused.

Can you fit them ? Yes, it's certainly do-able.

I personally wouldn't.

Slim
23-01-2016, 06:31 PM
Looking at the rider position of a Hornet, you would struggle to mount that sort of intake without hitting your knee. With the above pic being a V-twin the intake is further forward and out of the way

Shadowzone
26-01-2016, 07:23 PM
I'm with Si on this, mount fakes. All show no go. Looks the goods and saves the headache.