PDA

View Full Version : VTR Engine replacement

336LJ
23-02-2008, 03:05 AM
Hi guys, I am posting this on behalf of a mate.

story goes like this.
He has an '02 VTR 1000
riding along the motorway. engine starts rattling like crazy, stalls.. he rolls to the side of the road.

Long story short, takes it to the dealer they say its a broken cam tensioner/belt/chain (Details are sketchy on that part, as its hard to talk where I work!)
Anyway, they quoted about 2500 just for a new engine !!!.
But I was thinking,
He said when it stalled he was so "wtf" he didnt realise it was still in gear as he rolled to the side of the road, to me that is a good sign as there was no apparent mechanical noise or locking up of the motor.. so most likely the valves/pistons arent damaged, meaning why replace the engine!?

has anyone got any idea where we should start? Aside from finding the time to actually get the engine out and apart to check it?
Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.

Booster
23-02-2008, 07:14 AM
Broken timing chain will bend valves,sometimes these break off and cause more damage, if they get pushed hard enough as the engine dies it can rotate freely afterwards.
GSXR pictured here broke a chain,needed a head,rod & piston
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/94211045462496.jpg

336LJ
23-02-2008, 03:02 PM
sh*te!....
I guess the only thing to do is pull the engine apart and see for sure.
Does $2500 sound reasonable for this type of engine?
Anyone know a good dealer/wrecker in the brisbane area?
cheers

03gixxerpilot
23-02-2008, 03:34 PM
I'll get onto it this week, i have to work the weekend and next week as well but will have time on monday to do it.
price i dont realy know what would be a good price for an engine i guess it depends on wha year it is how many kms are on it etc.

23-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Sounds like a good price to me. When I replaced mine 4 or five years ago the engine cost me $4500.

336LJ
24-02-2008, 06:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bullfrog

Sounds like a good price to me. When I replaced mine 4 or five years ago the engine cost me $4500.

I think this bloke got a bit scared off with the 4 figure quote,being a uni student and all
but we wont know till it can be pulled down and checked.
4500.... that nuts !

It might be a while due to work/study time but I will post up pics in here when we get around to it.
I know its all pretty straight forward. but is there anything I should be careful/aware of when we take it out and start pokin it with pointy metal objects?

336LJ
24-02-2008, 06:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by 03gixxerpilot

I'll get onto it this week, i have to work the weekend and next week as well but will have time on monday to do it.
price i dont realy know what would be a good price for an engine i guess it depends on wha year it is how many kms are on it etc.

mate that would be awesome. Thanks for any info you can dig up.