PDA

View Full Version : MT09 shock swap

MuZ
14-10-2015, 07:03 PM
So my 08' Zx10 shock turned up in the post a few days ago to do the conversion on the mt09. The OEM Yamaha shock is 330mm eye to eye. the zx10 is 338mm. I took it to the local fab shop today to see if they could plug weld the holes in the ali clevis at the bottom of the shock and mill a new hole 8mm shorter. They weren't super keen because its filled with nitrogen and oil. so they took some photos to show the head welder when he gets to work tomorrow and see what he thinks.

Anyway the whole reason 8mm matters is because I'm a short ass, and I like the std height. 8mm extra on the shock will equate to 16-24mm extra ride height

So my plan, If the fab shop says they are unwilling, is To drill out the clevis from 10 to 12mm as required, but on a 2mm offset so its only 6mm too long (so an extra 12-18mm ride height) and then new make new dog bones to drop the ride height back to standard.

Which gives me 3 questions for the suspension guru's out there.
Will the new dog bones have to be shorter or longer to lower the ride height?
Is there a way to work out how much longer/shorter I will need them to be without resorting to trial and error?
And Is there any reason this won't work? Just because this seems way to easy?

Gix11
15-10-2015, 11:18 AM
Longer Dog Bones will lower the bike mate.

MuZ
16-10-2015, 05:45 PM
Well I squeezed it in... It's a tight fit but I got it in there. I'm gonna say that the concerns I had about the ride height were unfounded, I can barely notice the difference. Took it for a quick squirt and it deffinatly feels better, the bike feels more planted on the road and doesn't squat so much under acceleration. I wouldn't say the difference is night and day, but it was worth the money spent. Still think I'm gonna pick up a Penske double clicker when I can afford it which could be a long while away yet so the zx10 shock will do till then

Squid
17-10-2015, 07:46 AM
Someone needs to get up Yamaha's arse about the bullshit cb250 spec suspension on these things

hooligan
17-10-2015, 09:46 AM
It's easy to upgrade suspension, harder to upgrade an engine.
Better suspension would be great - but as long as the engine is still brilliant, they will keep selling, crap suspension or not.

MuZ
17-10-2015, 08:37 PM
It's easy to upgrade suspension, harder to upgrade an engine.
Better suspension would be great - but as long as the engine is still brilliant, they will keep selling, crap suspension or not.

True that, have absolutely no complaints about the donk and to be honest I was told about the shitty suspension many times before I bought the bike, and, I still bought it... And even then with the shakey ride and being spat off, still can't say I wish I bought something else.

hooligan
18-10-2015, 01:20 PM
Now drop the forks 5-10mm.
My Penske is (I think) 7mm longer, and front end is 7mm lower.
Much better handling.

MuZ
18-10-2015, 05:37 PM
will do