PDA

View Full Version : New Member, looking for some advice

nickbrain
02-09-2015, 12:09 AM
Hey guys

I am a new member and have been reading through a lot of post and see that their is some amazing talent here when it comes to people building bikes. I am after some advice, being only 25 I dont know a lot about carburettors and all that jazz. So was wondering what people reckon is a good bike to do a full job on? I recently sold my 1050 Triumph Speed triple 2008 which I had done a bit of work to. So now I am looking to undertake a new project any help would be awesome. there are so many different bikes I dont know where to start looking..haha! Have attached a picture of my last bike, just for a look

cheers Nick

Gix11
02-09-2015, 07:56 AM
Hey Nick
Welcome aboard mate. The best way to learn about any engine set up is to own the bike. Don't worry about buying it based on what you know as you learn as you go.

As for what bike works best: everyone has their own opinion. There are a few things to keep in mind though:

1. How does it look stripped down (frame etc)?
2. How well does it go?
3. What's it's pedigree (built well with not many issues)?
4. What's your budget?

If you can answer all those 4 things then you know what bike you need.

Got any questions on the above 4 points? There are a lot of people here who will have an opinion on each if you want to start asking.

Tony Nitrous
02-09-2015, 02:37 PM
Ask yourself:

Do you want to spend all that time an effort on a model that an the end of
it really isn't going to be that good. Not talking resale, but as a rider, seen folk do
great builds but at the end of the day a Z750 twin, GS1000 shaft drive etc etc is
never going to be that good. Pay the extra or wait untill you can find something
that's worthy of the build, unless you want a bobber / cafe racer / hipster bike then
It's fine to buy junk.

Have a think about, and do some home work on what bits swap / change between models.
I know anything can be made fit, but some bikes are real easy to source alternative
motors, front ends, etc etc, and others are "stand alone" designs.

nickbrain
02-09-2015, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, Yeh there is a lot involved and I am not to keen on buying a old old bike to do up as they may look amazing when done but realistically you still have a 15 year old plus bike. Am keen to do a cafe racer but not sure what some of the more prominent models are! what are your thoughts?

cheers Nick

hyofighter
03-09-2015, 12:31 AM
welcome man , for me when ive looked for a project ive always wanted something out side the box (well until the busa) but I went with the vfr because I purely loved the sound and built a bike that I wanted to look how I wanted and handle well sure its not the fastest but it does what I want it to do and its different , bandits gixxers have been done to death but are done so as they really are good bikes and have plenty of aftermarket supplys , so when you go outside the box your on your own and very hands on , sure my busa im undertaking isn't really outside the box as they are cheapish now and heaps are turning up fightered mostly german assed and masked but its about being individual I guess and that where you need to make it your own flavour

depending on moneys what about rsv4 wicked bikes and a few have been binned and turning up at auctions , wont be long and im sure a h2 will surface ready for fightering

hooligan
03-09-2015, 11:54 AM
I went with a vfr because i loved the sound of Hyo's on a youtube vid he posted. It has been hard since not many people do the 800. But the V4 sounds awesome.
I've had a gsxr 7/11 (750 frame, 1100 engine) and the reason there are so many is because they really are awesome. I miss my old one.

How much work do you want to do?
newer bikes just need cosmetic work because the frame, engine, suspension, brakes are already pretty good.
If i was doing a first fighter, I'd go with a newer bike.
Also, what state are you in? re-registering crashed bikes can be a pain in the arse, depending what state you are in.

nickbrain
03-09-2015, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys, love getting on at night and seeing your posts :) I will be in Victoria, am moving from WA in 1 months time. I think I would solely like to do cosmetic work for a start and work my way up. I am quite handy and should be able to do most things and things I cant my dad can help me with as he loves this stuff but cant ride anymore.

safighter
03-09-2015, 11:48 PM
cant go past a good blade

Gix11
04-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Use your budget as a guide and then post what you find on here. Between all the members in here there will be a person that knows each bike personally (that you have chosen) and they can give you the ins-and-outs of it.

nick76
04-09-2015, 07:59 PM
cant go past a good blade

What he reckons.....probably one of the nicest frames around without the clothes on

The Phantom
10-09-2015, 11:14 AM
If you had a Speed Triple the I4 bikes might not float your boat?

That's what I like about the VFR - the V4 has a little of the I4 smoothness and a little of the triple/twin gruffness. So I guess that's another vote for a VFR :)

You can get a 94-97 (4th Gen) VFR750 with rough cosmetics but bulletproof mechanicals for $2k-3k. The motor is good for 200,000km so don't be put off by high mileage. And no need to do a single sided swingarm conversion :p

Tony Nitrous
17-09-2015, 04:37 PM
If you had a speed triple you might be impressed with the screaming top end of a nice IL4 at full chat.

You don't need triples, V4's or V-twins for grunt if you have a decent size IL4.

Torque sells trucks, horsepower wins races.

hooligan
17-09-2015, 08:56 PM
You don't race a streetfighter on a track, you race it on the street.
Torque comes in handy.

MuZ
27-09-2015, 09:03 AM
^^^ I've always owned IL4's until I bought the mt09, now after owning a triple, for riding on the street I'll take torque over a 17k redline anyday. having said that still have a lot of time for IL4's, its an amazing feeling hitting the redline in every gear