PDA

View Full Version : gixxer electrrical problems

evilkarl
19-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Anyone savy with electrics on the old slabby's, once again any help very much appreciated.

I got headlights
I got nutural, oil, highbeam and sidestand etc on the dash but no lights behind the guages
My brake lights work but not the tail light.

Checked the fuse, changed bulb in tail light but no soolution yet.

Is there anything I am missing to check, is there something that would break the circuit on these few items. Would removing the indicaters cause it?

Gix11
20-02-2008, 04:13 PM
I think it's the indicators mate. I'm no electrician, but I remember everything runs through the weirdest of places. Try connecting the indicators again and I bet it works.

evilkarl
21-02-2008, 07:42 AM
Cheers for advice Gix11. Seemed to have solved the problem by replacing both thumb instrument panels on the bike. THe old ones did have broken indicator on the left and lights on the right switches and needed replacing anyway. After replacement, it seems all but the taco and speedo back lights are now working.

evilkarl
22-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Need more advice if anyone can help. As above i thought i had fixed the problem and i had the bike running for a short time. however i can't seem to get the dang thing restarted. Its getting petrol. Spark is what concerns me, I have tried a number of different coils all with the same result, an eratic spark coming mostly from the side of the plug, not the electrode itself.
Am i looking for a Short somewhere, maybe a poor earth wire?

evilkarl
22-02-2008, 06:54 PM
seems the spark is very dull. it sparks but barely, Coils are getting 11.7 volts.

Solanoide ?

SFOC Pres
22-02-2008, 07:24 PM
you got the firing sequence right?

evilkarl
22-02-2008, 09:26 PM
apart from putting the correct plug leads into the correct sockets (Which they are) how could they get out of sequence?
Right hand coils fire 2 & 3, left hand coil fires 1 & 4.

evilkarl
24-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Cheers for the advice guys, got it going.

Problem was 2 fold
1. Wires on the left side coils were incorrect. Earth on positive and positive on earth.
2. Not that I didn't try the above however flooding gave a incorrect results as by this stage the plugs would have been wet with fuel