PDA

View Full Version : marzocchi shocks

Jay_G
19-02-2008, 08:58 PM
There is a couple of sets of old marzocchi shocks on e-gay out at necknock. and i was thinking of having a bid on them. says they need a rebuild.

how much approx is it going to cost me to have them rebuilt and maybe revalved? and how are they going to perform to say a set of more modern twin shocks off an FJR or ZRX and cost wise for and against?

anyone have any other alternatives. i have a set of fournales gas shocks on there at the moment and they are harsh on bumps and feel floaty in slow speed dampening so they don't inspire a lot of confidence in an old chassis and my first decent capacity bike(Kwak GT750, with 810kit).

Jockney Rebel
19-02-2008, 09:26 PM
the ohlins copies from an xjr etc will be better than the marzocchis [even rebuilt] and cost way less ..how do i know ? i used a set of xjr shox on an old bol dor cost me about 200odd bucks to have em re sealed and regassed
and they made the old girl stick to the road like glue

the marzocchis are 80's technology and although they were years ahead of the jap shox at the time modern shox ahve become as good if not better
another alternative is IKONs aka[KONIs]or the twins from a zephyr should go straight on ur bike [ive a lot of experience with old GT kwaks i used to courier them back in london]
.....in my humble opinion:}

zedsled
20-02-2008, 08:56 AM
marzocchis were awsome in their day, especially compared to the standard jap ones, but these days there are almost certainly better shocks out there, depends if you won't to stick with period accesories or not. The reason they are worth good money is they are a period piece that are very popular with ducati restorers so i'm told, so they will allways be worth money. One of my 900s had them fitted but had blown the seals on them, I bought a set of xjr ohlins that had been redone by racetech off alfiestorm and am really happy with them. But on my big fat flexi-framed underbraked qwaka, riden on shity qld roads, you would have to be a better rider than me to really pick any performance difference. The quote wasn't all that dear for the rebuild, could dig it up for you if you want. I would probably buy your fournales off you if you wanted to sell them for a custom I am building.

fimpBIKES
20-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Marzocchi kick ass, i just got some of these in the post last week :D

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/31530136062326.JPG

Jockney Rebel
20-02-2008, 06:34 PM
they look nice fimp but we re talking about the old skool red shox that were found on stuff like Lav 1200s,duke 860GTS etc.. ya pup:}
ps i got my xjr shox from sharky and had them rebuilt by racetech good job and reasonable turnaround too