PDA

View Full Version : Strapping my bike in my ute.

JackTar
19-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Hey campers, don't have much experience with this but I need to put my bike on my ute so I can take it to Ben's and probably to the AFR, it is an XR6 ute and only has tie down points at each corner about half way up . I don't think this will have enough vertical pull to hold the bike down and I don't want to pull it into four bits.

Any ideas?

19-02-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm thinking of going to Ben's saturday....I got a one tonne rodeo and could help ya out if ya want

JackTar
19-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Thanks mate but I am in Canberra.

19-02-2008, 08:21 PM
NP mate pmsl

JackTar
19-02-2008, 08:25 PM
pmsl? is that like having PMS and lactating at the same time?

19-02-2008, 08:28 PM
there's always one

19-02-2008, 08:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by JackTar

Hey campers, don't have much experience with this but I need to put my bike on my ute so I can take it to Ben's and probably to the AFR, it is an XR6 ute and only has tie down points at each corner about half way up . I don't think this will have enough vertical pull to hold the bike down and I don't want to pull it into four bits.

Any ideas?
got a fuckin drill? it aint brain surgery bro;)

JackTar
19-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Yeah I got a fuckin drill Davo but the ute has one of those plastic tray liners so I don't know what the fuck I am drilling into plus I am not a big fan of just hacking into my not even two year old ute with power tools.

19-02-2008, 09:07 PM
mate i'd come down and silicone it in for you but thats like 1800K's away.I usually just use the side stand and 1 occy strap which i hold thru the window.Yet to loose 1 off the back.

BANDITROD
19-02-2008, 09:11 PM
my mate use's his xr6 ute for his all the time the stock mounts it the tub will be fine mate it just take a little faith in old henry thats all

sharky
19-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Wedge the front wheel into one front corner and shut the tailgate, That should stop it moving back and forwards...then just tie it down...Both mine and the wifes bikes fit tight across the corners in my ol' XF.

loosebruce
19-02-2008, 10:48 PM
saw some tiedowns with metal fittings that go over the top of your tyres, in Gecko Motorcycles the other day.
Bit Exxy though.

fimpBIKES
20-02-2008, 09:43 AM
like sharky said

you crank it down off the handlebars and compress the forks up (i do it side-stand down, most take it off the sidestand from what i have seen) so that pretty much holds the bike
then tie the back wheel down so it cant skip around the place (cos a lot of the mass is now over the front)

oh, and kick it into gear for good measure

i got some of this kind fo thing the other day, havent tried them yet but they seem good in theory (save you scuffing up your handlebars etc)
http://www.bikebiz.com.au/enter.html?lang=en-us&target=p4574.html&lmd=39497.503877

this looks interesting, but only if you went to the track every weekend or something (otherwise it'd be hard to justify the $$$)
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-trailer/motorcycle-trailer-tie-down.htm