PDA

View Full Version : Can recumbent motorcycle be built and registered in Australia ICV

Crazy Man
29-05-2015, 02:30 PM
Can a recumbent motorcycle be built and registered in Australia?

I am considering something light weight with roll cage and full fairing. But I cannot find the structural requirements that the government have hidden.

latheboy
29-05-2015, 03:13 PM
No reason why not, if it complies to ADR's

xa-mont
29-05-2015, 06:25 PM
BanditRod could ride one... might need to be a bit bigger than that one though. :P

latheboy
29-05-2015, 11:27 PM
Cut down F100 ????

Crazy Man
30-05-2015, 04:17 PM
No reason why not, if it complies to ADR's

I don't think the ADR's are all that is necessary. A penny farling with a 600cc engine would pass ADR if it had some lights, brakes, mudguards and instrumentation. There must be more hidden requirements.

Weaselman
30-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Please build the bike from Akira.

Tony Nitrous
30-05-2015, 07:40 PM
http://thekneeslider.com/homebuilt-recumbent-motorcycle-racer-competes-in-mra-sanctioned-event/

Redmohawk
30-05-2015, 10:19 PM
I don't think the ADR's are all that is necessary. A penny farling with a 600cc engine would pass ADR if it had some lights, brakes, mudguards and instrumentation. There must be more hidden requirements.

An ICV if made now has to pass all 2015 ADR's, emissions etc . You will be up for a $2000 pass or fail emissions test and engineers ticket for another $800 to $1000 (good luck finding a train driver that will be open minded enough to sign on the doted line) at a minimum. So $3000 behind the eight ball for two bits of paper before you even get to Vicroads.

Crazy Man
31-05-2015, 01:22 PM
An ICV if made now has to pass all 2015 ADR's, emissions etc . You will be up for a $2000 pass or fail emissions test and engineers ticket for another $800 to $1000 (good luck finding a train driver that will be open minded enough to sign on the doted line) at a minimum. So $3000 behind the eight ball for two bits of paper before you even get to Vicroads.

If I use the stock parts from a used bike that has passed said emissions test when manufactured is it likely to pass when retested for ICV?

$ 2000 emissions min
$ 800-1000 Engineers min
$ Frame build.
$ Donar Bike parts.
$ fairing
= Not impossible to make the ultimate recumbent motorcycle.

What are engineers looking for?

Redmohawk
31-05-2015, 08:51 PM
Nope weight/design/air resistance etc of bike effects emissions , full test pass or fail is mandatory. Engineer will look to see if you have any previous frame building/modifying experience or relevant engineering experience, if you can't show any I doubt you'll find an engineer willing to talk let alone sign on the line.

Your bike fails they look like chumps , so they tend to err to the safe. A scratch build ICV car of simple design could cost $50,000 to get on the road after all said and done. Bikes are cheaper sure , but no easier. A mate rebuilt a ute with full tube chassis Floor cut body mods and dropped a LS1 V8 into it with full air bag the lot. Cost him about $10K to do all the work himself , but due to the level of mods was classed as a ICV so going cost him another $18K to get it on the road, mostly paper work. So pulled the pin and put it on club rego to avoid the pain (this loop hole of club rego has now been closed and would only work for a bike frame that was pre 1990 anyhow)

fimpBIKES
01-06-2015, 12:06 PM
damn, that thing looks deadly as hell
if you got tangled up with it in a stack it'd all be over

+1 for the akira bike, would probably buy the thing off you if you built it and got it rego'd :)

Large
01-06-2015, 07:50 PM
damn, that thing looks deadly as hell
if you got tangled up with it in a stack it'd all be over

+1 for the akira bike, would probably buy the thing off you if you built it and got it rego'd :)

Would an airbag down low near your balls and and a HANS device for your neck, cover your concerns New Dad...?

Crazy Man
02-06-2015, 11:49 PM
Nope weight/design/air resistance etc of bike effects emissions , full test pass or fail is mandatory. Engineer will look to see if you have any previous frame building/modifying experience or relevant engineering experience, if you can't show any I doubt you'll find an engineer willing to talk let alone sign on the line.

Your bike fails they look like chumps , so they tend to err to the safe. A scratch build ICV car of simple design could cost $50,000 to get on the road after all said and done. Bikes are cheaper sure , but no easier. A mate rebuilt a ute with full tube chassis Floor cut body mods and dropped a LS1 V8 into it with full air bag the lot. Cost him about $10K to do all the work himself , but due to the level of mods was classed as a ICV so going cost him another $18K to get it on the road, mostly paper work. So pulled the pin and put it on club rego to avoid the pain (this loop hole of club rego has now been closed and would only work for a bike frame that was pre 1990 anyhow)

Perhaps you are saying I need to put this project in the name of someone with an engineering/fabrication background (someone that actually appreciates fantastic ideas) so the snooty approved engineer will shut up, take the money and do their job.

It should be easy to build a bike that weighs less than the original (without a roll cage) and use less than half the fuel of the original bike (half the emissions). The tyres and brakes won't be able to handle the insane top speed but if I stay under the speed limit I should not combust.

Redmohawk
03-06-2015, 08:36 AM
Call an approved engineer then spruke on about how easy its all going to be ...